ISO 9660s
Bill Cunningham
2018-07-01 18:17:48 UTC
I am seeing that siple ISOs are not really working on Wind 7 ultimate. The
ISOs have UDF data in them and have to be booted from a DVD/R(W). Anything
to make things harder. Even ISOS made without UDF aren't showing up on my
OS. They aren't recognized or the OS says the USB stick is raw or full and
shows no data.

Bill
VanguardLH
2018-07-01 19:07:16 UTC
Post by Bill Cunningham
I am seeing that siple ISOs are not really working on Wind 7 ultimate. The
ISOs have UDF data in them and have to be booted from a DVD/R(W). Anything
to make things harder. Even ISOS made without UDF aren't showing up on my
OS. They aren't recognized or the OS says the USB stick is raw or full and
shows no data.
I've never relied on any Windows-included support for ISOs. I use 3rd
party software, like IsoBuster (I use just the free crippled version) to
peek inside the image file or WinCDemu (free) for mounting the image
file but there are lots of other free ISO tools; e.g., Elby's Virtual
CloneDrive, MagicISO's MagicDisc. I've not felt the need to pay for ISO
tools (e.g., UltraISO @ $30, PowerISO @ $30, IsoBuster Pro @ $40,
CDRoller @ $39).
πŸ˜‰ Good Guy πŸ˜‰
2018-07-01 19:08:48 UTC
Post by Bill Cunningham
I am seeing that siple ISOs are not really working on Wind 7 ultimate. The
ISOs have UDF data in them and have to be booted from a DVD/R(W). Anything
to make things harder. Even ISOS made without UDF aren't showing up on my
OS. They aren't recognized or the OS says the USB stick is raw or full and
shows no data.
Bill
You didn't "finalise" the DVD after creating the bootable disk. Bootable
disks requires to be "finalised" and if you don't know what this means
then google that word.

<http://www.cd-info.com/howto/finalize/index.html>
Post by Bill Cunningham
Windows Defender software.
//https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/comprehensive-security/
--
With over 950 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
Bill Cunningham
2018-07-02 19:36:34 UTC

Why are you posting in HTML ?
πŸ˜‰ Good Guy πŸ˜‰
2018-07-02 19:44:27 UTC
Post by Bill Cunningham
Why are you posting in HTML ?
Because you are a fucking liar Troll. You've changed your name once
again to Bill Fucker. Go and fuck yourself.

2018-07-02 20:40:38 UTC
Post by Γ°ΒŸΒ˜Β‰ Good Guy Γ°ΒŸΒ˜Β‰
Post by Bill Cunningham
Why are you posting in HTML ?
Because you are a fucking liar Troll. You've changed your name once
again to Bill Fucker. Go and fuck yourself.
aioe.org!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
GG, that's not a nym shifter. He's an upgrader
from the WinXP group, now running Win7. He
was one of the few people running WinXP SP2 x64.

And his name has been consistent for years.
Look it up.

Paul
Bill Cunningham
2018-07-02 22:18:01 UTC
And his name has been consistent for years.
Look it up.
I seem to see no OE on this win 7 ultimate. I have had it about 2 months
now or os. I am using xnews. Whew. It's much harder than OE. All takes time
to learn I guess.

I under linux monted and ISO with UDF data and used genisoimage to create a
non-bootable ISO 9660 without UDF code. To sinmply insert the USB stick and
see if the data was understood. win 7 ultimate wanted to format the
full/empty USB stick. Boot code or not would make no difference, the OS
doesn't seem to be recognizing it. I dodn't know the internals of this
"new" OS like I did XP. And this mahcine I bought used is different too. It
wouldn't recognize my XP X64 sp2 DVD.

Bill
Paul
2018-07-02 22:40:41 UTC
Post by Bill Cunningham
Post by Paul
And his name has been consistent for years.
Look it up.
I seem to see no OE on this win 7 ultimate. I have had it about 2 months
now or os. I am using xnews. Whew. It's much harder than OE. All takes time
to learn I guess.
I under linux monted and ISO with UDF data and used genisoimage to create a
non-bootable ISO 9660 without UDF code. To sinmply insert the USB stick and
see if the data was understood. win 7 ultimate wanted to format the
full/empty USB stick. Boot code or not would make no difference, the OS
doesn't seem to be recognizing it. I dodn't know the internals of this
"new" OS like I did XP. And this mahcine I bought used is different too. It
wouldn't recognize my XP X64 sp2 DVD.
Bill
Win7 Pro and Win7 Ultimate support "WinXP Mode".

There, you can run your OE.

The tool used consists of two parts. A 20MB download containing
"Windows Virtual PC". And a 500MB file containing a brand new
(licensed) WinXP image.

The difference between Windows Virtual PC and VPC2007, is
Windows Virtual PC for Windows 7 supports terminal services.
This allows a program (OE) running under the WinXP VM,
to open a rootless OE window on the Windows 7 desktop.
The environment provides desktop integration, and terminal
services allows the WinXP Guest to draw on the Win7 desktop.

Most people can't use this, because they're running Win7 Home
or Home Premium. If you spent the extra money on one of the
higher SKUs, then this option is available to you.

Some details here:

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8247-windows-xp-mode-install-setup.html

*******

Running a copy of WinXP inside VirtualBox, provides
some of the same functions - the difference is, you have
to provide the license key in that case. The advantage
of WinXP Mode and Windows Virtual PC, is the license
is included in the download.

You cannot run Windows Virtual PC and VirtualBox simultaneously.
As long as one of them is shut down, you can start the
other running without a problem. Just don't run both
of them at the same time. Windows Virtual PC only supports
single CPU core operation, which is a performance limitation
of this solution.

The WinXP Mode image is not designed to be "transported"
to some other VM environment.

You could patch the WinXP Mode install up to date with
WsusOffline legacy version after it's installed. Version 9.2.4.

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

Run the tool on your Win7 machine, collect the WinXP update
collection, then you'll have to share a folder with the
WinXP Mode VM to be able to run the Client install from
the collected updates. That brings the WinXP Mode OS up
to around the year 2014 or so. It would not include any
POSReady updates. It will likely be missing the SMBV1 patch
as well.

Make an occasional backup copy of the WinXP Mode .vhd file,
for safety. You do this, *while the VM is shut down*.

Windows Virtual PC doesn't have the nice interface
of VPC2007. They changed the interface so it runs from
an Explorer window. And the "controls" are on a bar
above the Explorer window when you're situated above
the VM folder.

*******

Of course you could use Thunderbird for newsgroups...
But it's not OE.

Paul
Bill Cunningham
2018-07-03 02:19:11 UTC
Post by Bill Cunningham
Post by Paul
[...]
I didn't know you could use usenet with thunderbird. That's what I use for
email. I still miss XP x64. But my machine went. I think the HD is still
useable.
Paul
2018-07-03 02:23:32 UTC
Post by Bill Cunningham
Post by Paul
Post by Bill Cunningham
Post by Paul
[...]
Yes, Thunderbird allows the creation of news accounts.

For setting up Eternal September, you want to
tick the "Always Request Authentication" box.

There are probably a few tutorials around with details.

https://www.fastusenet.org/thunderbird-windows-tutorial.html

Paul
Brian Gregory
2018-07-03 16:25:49 UTC
Post by Bill Cunningham
Post by Paul
And his name has been consistent for years.
Look it up.
I seem to see no OE on this win 7 ultimate. I have had it about 2 months
now or os. I am using xnews. Whew. It's much harder than OE. All takes time
to learn I guess.
I under linux monted and ISO with UDF data and used genisoimage to create a
non-bootable ISO 9660 without UDF code. To sinmply insert the USB stick and
see if the data was understood. win 7 ultimate wanted to format the
full/empty USB stick. Boot code or not would make no difference, the OS
doesn't seem to be recognizing it. I dodn't know the internals of this
"new" OS like I did XP. And this mahcine I bought used is different too. It
wouldn't recognize my XP X64 sp2 DVD.
Bill
ISO is for optical disks.
WTF would you expect anything to understand it if you write it to a USB
drive?
Brian Gregory (in England).
πŸ˜‰ Good Guy πŸ˜‰
2018-07-03 16:31:53 UTC
Post by Brian Gregory
ISO is for optical disks.
WTF would you expect anything to understand it if you write it to a
USB drive?
WTF are you wasting your time asking to Bill Fucker aka Teasing Tesla?
He's a known troll and a troll like you should know better.
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
FredW
2018-07-03 16:58:51 UTC
On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 17:25:49 +0100, Brian Gregory
Post by Brian Gregory
Post by Bill Cunningham
Post by Paul
And his name has been consistent for years.
Look it up.
I seem to see no OE on this win 7 ultimate. I have had it about 2 months
now or os. I am using xnews. Whew. It's much harder than OE. All takes time
to learn I guess.
I under linux monted and ISO with UDF data and used genisoimage to create a
non-bootable ISO 9660 without UDF code. To sinmply insert the USB stick and
see if the data was understood. win 7 ultimate wanted to format the
full/empty USB stick. Boot code or not would make no difference, the OS
doesn't seem to be recognizing it. I dodn't know the internals of this
"new" OS like I did XP. And this mahcine I bought used is different too. It
wouldn't recognize my XP X64 sp2 DVD.
ISO is for optical disks.
Wrong
Post by Brian Gregory
WTF would you expect anything to understand it if you write it to a USB
drive?
I write ISO's to USB sticks using Rufus.
http://rufus.akeo.ie/
or UnetBootin
https://unetbootin.github.io/
or ...

There is nothing wring with writing an ISO to USB.
Then you can start your computer from the ISO on your USB.

Try it, a new world will open to you,
:-)

[or read more carefully, not USB drive, but USB stick]
Fred W. (nld)
Brian Gregory
2018-07-03 18:02:35 UTC
Post by Brian Gregory
Post by Brian Gregory
WTF would you expect anything to understand it if you write it to a USB
drive?
I write ISO's to USB sticks using Rufus.
http://rufus.akeo.ie/
or UnetBootin
https://unetbootin.github.io/
or ...
There is nothing wring with writing an ISO to USB.
Then you can start your computer from the ISO on your USB.
Try it, a new world will open to you,
:-)
[or read more carefully, not USB drive, but USB stick]
They why are there special programs like Rufus that look in the ISO and
work out how to make a bootable USB stick from it?

It may work sometimes but you cannot rely on it to work with absolutely
any bootable ISO.
Brian Gregory (in England).
FredW
2018-07-03 18:11:46 UTC
On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 19:02:35 +0100, Brian Gregory
Post by Brian Gregory
Post by FredW
On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 17:25:49 +0100, Brian Gregory
Post by Brian Gregory
ISO is for optical disks.
Wrong
Post by Brian Gregory
WTF would you expect anything to understand it if you write it to a USB
drive?
I write ISO's to USB sticks using Rufus.
http://rufus.akeo.ie/
or UnetBootin
https://unetbootin.github.io/
or ...
There is nothing wring with writing an ISO to USB.
Then you can start your computer from the ISO on your USB.
Try it, a new world will open to you,
:-)
[or read more carefully, not USB drive, but USB stick]
They why are there special programs like Rufus that look in the ISO and
work out how to make a bootable USB stick from it?
???
I prefer a bootable USB stick over a (clumsy) bootable DVD/CD.
What is your problem with that?
Post by Brian Gregory
It may work sometimes but you cannot rely on it to work with absolutely
any bootable ISO.
It does not work sometimes but always.
(at least it has been many years for me)
Have you ever tried?
Fred W. (nld)
Brian Gregory
2018-07-03 18:21:30 UTC
Post by Brian Gregory
Post by FredW
On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 17:25:49 +0100, Brian Gregory
Post by Brian Gregory
ISO is for optical disks.
Wrong
Post by Brian Gregory
It may work sometimes but you cannot rely on it to work with absolutely
any bootable ISO.
It does not work sometimes but always.
(at least it has been many years for me)
Have you ever tried?
How can you possibly think it would work always?

Maybe the boot "sector" or black would always be loaded, I don't know
but what by twisted logic would you assume that the boot sector would
always we written to expect to find either a USB stick or an optical
drive to finish loading from??
Brian Gregory (in England).
Brian Gregory
Brian Gregory (in England).
FredW
2018-07-03 20:06:43 UTC
Post by Brian Gregory
Post by FredW
On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 17:25:49 +0100, Brian Gregory
Post by Brian Gregory
ISO is for optical disks.
Wrong
Post by Brian Gregory
It may work sometimes but you cannot rely on it to work with absolutely
any bootable ISO.
It does not work sometimes but always.
(at least it has been many years for me)
Have you ever tried?
How can you possibly think it would work always?
Proven in practice.

EOD
Fred W. (nld)
Paul
2018-07-03 21:29:01 UTC
Post by Brian Gregory
They why are there special programs like Rufus that look in the ISO and
work out how to make a bootable USB stick from it?
Rufus is not required for Hybrids.

Linux Mint ISO and Ubuntu ISO are Hybrids with
legacy/UEFI capability when used optically,
as well as additional partitions for USB booting.

Simply do a sector by sector transfer of the ISO
to a USB stick, and it's ready to go.

The fact that Windows does a poor job of mounting
partitions ("for a look") is besides the point.
(Windows by default only sees one of the three partitions.)
If you want to look inside while the content is
on a USB key (sector-by-sector), try modern 7ZIP and
it will allow looking inside the USB stick.

The fun comes later, when you want to erase the USB
stick. Windows Diskpart is unlikely to support
"clean" on a USB stick. And this is because
a lot of USB sticks are saddled with the
wrong value of RMB bit.

*******

A *non-hybrid* disc may require Rufus or UnetBootin.
And there's probably still a few of those out there.

To put a *Windows* hybrid on a USB stick, use

Windows7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool.exe

and it works with installer DVDs from
Vista to Windows 10.

Paul
Ed Cryer
2018-07-01 21:09:03 UTC
Post by Bill Cunningham
I am seeing that siple ISOs are not really working on Wind 7 ultimate. The
ISOs have UDF data in them and have to be booted from a DVD/R(W). Anything
to make things harder. Even ISOS made without UDF aren't showing up on my
OS. They aren't recognized or the OS says the USB stick is raw or full and
shows no data.
Bill
Go to;
Control Panel/ Default Programs/ Associate a file type or protocol with
a program
and find .iso in the list.

If it's not there, then you need to install a program or associate one
already installed with it. To do that find an .iso file, right click on
it, select "open with ...".

Here's a list of programs that can deal with them;
http://extension.nirsoft.net/iso

Ed
pjp
2018-07-02 02:40:52 UTC
In article <***@85.214.115.223>, ***@nspam.invalid
says...
Post by Bill Cunningham
I am seeing that siple ISOs are not really working on Wind 7 ultimate. The
ISOs have UDF data in them and have to be booted from a DVD/R(W). Anything
to make things harder. Even ISOS made without UDF aren't showing up on my
OS. They aren't recognized or the OS says the USB stick is raw or full and
shows no data.
Bill
The fact it refers to a optical drive as a USB device means something
lower level is the issue. Is the optical drive a plug-in usb dvd drive?
Paul
2018-07-02 21:14:21 UTC
Post by Bill Cunningham
I am seeing that siple ISOs are not really working on Wind 7 ultimate. The
ISOs have UDF data in them and have to be booted from a DVD/R(W). Anything
to make things harder. Even ISOS made without UDF aren't showing up on my
OS. They aren't recognized or the OS says the USB stick is raw or full and
shows no data.
Bill
I can't tell what you're really doing.

For identification purposes, I recommend "disktype".

http://disktype.sourceforge.net/

Only problem is, there's no native Windows version.
For that, you can install Cygwin, then install the
disktype package, then extract disktype.exe and
the two Cygwin runtime DLLs, and that makes
a portable Windows version of the tool.

disktype.exe some.iso

And that will give details of the ISO9660 file contents.

*******

I don't see a native ISO9660 mounter in Windows 7.

Purely for your amusement, there is Passmark OSFMounter.
I tried this on an ISO9660 and it worked!

https://www.osforensics.com/tools/mount-disk-images.html

Here is a picture of it working on Windows 7.

Only UDF 2.6 is read-only, on modern Windows. The
others in the table seem to be supported. UDF can
even be applied to hard drives (without knowing
why it would have any merit whatsoever).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format

2018-07-04 21:49:41 UTC
Post by Bill Cunningham
I am seeing that siple ISOs are not really working on Wind 7 ultimate. The
ISOs have UDF data in them and have to be booted from a DVD/R(W). Anything
to make things harder. Even ISOS made without UDF aren't showing up on my
OS. They aren't recognized or the OS says the USB stick is raw or full and
shows no data.
Bill
Hi Bill,

I see this all the time with Dell's with the computers in the
the back of the monitor. They are essentially laptops mounted
in the back of the monitors case. And I won't say they suck,
they are so-so, but I would say that I'd never personally own one.

The solution is to get an external DVD drive and a powered USB
hub. The "in spec" power drain will crash the ports on
this style of computer.

I carry an external DVD with me for this reason. Only
some DVD disks will work these computer and never the ones
I want to use.

HTH,
-T