What is the best CD ripper and audio MP3 encoder in 64-bit Windows 7 these days?
Add Reply
Ant
2017-06-04 23:12:26 UTC
Is it still Exact Audio Copy and LAME encoder?

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"You're kissing an ant hill." --Mike Nelson
this signature correctly.
( ) Axe ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
Diesel
2017-06-05 00:23:26 UTC
Post by Ant
Is it still Exact Audio Copy and LAME encoder?
Thank you in advance. :)
IMO, Yes.
--
Nope, I can't go to hell.
Satan still has a restraining order against me.
2017-06-05 07:12:14 UTC
Post by Ant
Is it still Exact Audio Copy and LAME encoder?
Thank you in advance. :)
You'd need to qualify "best". EAC's main claim to fame (IIRR) is that it
has many goes at reading a damaged track; otherwise, being basically
digital signals, they all do the same so it's just a matter of what
convenience features have been added.

As for converting to MP3 after you've ripped, I _think_ LAME is the
_only_ freeware one, and all other (free anyway) ones are based on it
(though admit that fact to varying degrees). I could be wrong though.

Find out what works. Then do it. That's my system. I'm always surprised it
isn't more popular. - Scott Adams, 2015
Reinhard Skarbal
2017-06-05 07:51:21 UTC
In article <***@soft255.demon.co.uk>, G6JPG-***@255soft.uk
says...
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Ant
Is it still Exact Audio Copy and LAME encoder?
Thank you in advance. :)
You'd need to qualify "best". EAC's main claim to fame (IIRR) is that it
has many goes at reading a damaged track; otherwise, being basically
digital signals, they all do the same so it's just a matter of what
convenience features have been added.
As for converting to MP3 after you've ripped, I _think_ LAME is the
_only_ freeware one, and all other (free anyway) ones are based on it
(though admit that fact to varying degrees). I could be wrong though.
Hi

I'm worried about download_audiograbber_mp3_plugin.exe and
the results of www.virustotal.com :

https://www.virustotal.com/de/file/79195e7aa9e6d587ee4a6f5923c637afb774e
16ca661a07973dfb979e392ed82/analysis/1496648683/

AhnLab-V3 PUP/Win32.DownloadGuide.R192910 20170605
Antiy-AVL Trojan/Win32.TSGeneric 20170605
Avast Win32:DownloadGuide-T [PUP] 20170605
AVG Generic.B6A 20170604
Avira (no cloud) PUA/DownloadGuide.Gen 20170605
AVware Trojan.Win32.Generic!BT 20170605
Baidu Win32.Trojan.WisdomEyes.16070401.9500.9791 20170601
Bkav W32.HfsAdware.C530 20170602
CAT-QuickHeal PUA.Freemiumgm.Gen 20170605
CrowdStrike Falcon (ML) malicious_confidence_97% (D) 20170420
DrWeb Adware.Downware.10569 20170605
Emsisoft Application.Downloader (A) 20170605
Endgame malicious (high confidence) 20170515
ESET-NOD32 Win32/DownloadGuide.F potentially unwanted 20170605
Fortinet Riskware/Moat.3A7684DB!Nsis 20170605
GData NSIS.Application.DownloadGuide.S 20170605
Invincea trojandownloader.win32.tugspay.a 20170604
K7AntiVirus Unwanted-Program ( 004b58e01 ) 20170604
K7GW Unwanted-Program ( 004b58e01 ) 20170605
Kaspersky not-a-virus:Downloader.Win32.DownloaderGuide.d 20170605
Malwarebytes PUP.Optional.DownloadGuide 20170605
McAfee Artemis!13211B5F04B8 20170605
McAfee-GW-Edition Artemis!PUP 20170604
NANO-Antivirus Riskware.Nsis.Adware.dpxxla 20170605
Palo Alto Networks (Known Signatures) generic.ml 20170605
Qihoo-360 Win32/Virus.Downloader.fcc 20170605
Symantec ML.Attribute.HighConfidence 20170604
VIPRE Trojan.Win32.Generic!BT 20170605
Zillya Adware.DownwareCRTD.Win32.748 20170602

Where can I get a clean lame ?

Thanks in advance
Reinhard
Paul
2017-06-05 10:49:58 UTC
Post by Reinhard Skarbal
says...
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Ant
Is it still Exact Audio Copy and LAME encoder?
Thank you in advance. :)
You'd need to qualify "best". EAC's main claim to fame (IIRR) is that it
has many goes at reading a damaged track; otherwise, being basically
digital signals, they all do the same so it's just a matter of what
convenience features have been added.
As for converting to MP3 after you've ripped, I _think_ LAME is the
_only_ freeware one, and all other (free anyway) ones are based on it
(though admit that fact to varying degrees). I could be wrong though.
Hi
I'm worried about download_audiograbber_mp3_plugin.exe and
Where can I get a clean lame ?
Thanks in advance
Reinhard
What exactly are you looking for ?
There might be some plugins here, for LAME.

http://lame.sourceforge.net/links.php#Binaries

*******

You never really know who owns a website. Whether it's the original
author, or a cybersquatter.

http://www.audiograbber.org/get/download-mp3plugin.html
http://az745087.vo.msecnd.net/downloadguides/a59ec268-2191-44a4-9a64-61aa94785bec/download-audiograbber-mp3plugin.exe

Mine required an upload, and had a "fresh" SHA256, which means
the file is being dynamically packaged on the server side. That's
not generally a good sign for "free" software, any day of the week.

553,496 bytes
SHA256: 6536347dd32fe76ccf71056f84745b6cfbabdd0bf2f96f8cb2bdeb3328fcd6c2

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/6536347dd32fe76ccf71056f84745b6cfbabdd0bf2f96f8cb2bdeb3328fcd6c2/analysis/1496655985/

Kaspersky not-a-virus:HEUR:Downloader.Win32.Generic <--- eek!

The package said it is "ad supported", and I believe them...

That link has existed on the page, since June 18, 2015. Meaning the link
is relatively recent. Perhaps the original owner of the site sold it,
and a scumbag runs it ? With the web, there is no way to know who
or what you're dealing with.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150618004441/http://www.audiograbber.org/get/download-mp3plugin.html

According to this, Audiograbber is from August 24, 2004 or so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audiograbber

"Version 1.83 (as well as the convenient Lame plugin installer
on the same site) from the developer site comes bundled with
several adware like Funmoods Toolbar, Conduit Search, Zapp,
VO Package, Browser Utility, AnyProtect. You have to read the
installation screens carefully and deselect everything that
you do not want to install." <--- HEUR:Downloader...

If I go back here, there was likely a different downloader page
being used, prior to 2015. And maybe the website was squatted
or something ?

https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.audiograbber.org

And if I randomly select 2005, it gets more interesting.

https://web.archive.org/web/20050206094033/http://www.audiograbber.org:80/

https://web.archive.org/web/20040723035349/http://tucows.tierra.net:80/files/agsetup.exe

1,665,325 bytes (clean, for whatever you get)

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/f637772f0605055e692f16e1e990e0c92af1b2d25a0ae51e5001b70c8e211df7/analysis/

Where the beauty of archive.org stops, is lots of actual download
links are not accessible. And after you determine where a "safe"
file may have existed, you have to switch back to Google again.
In this case, the links on that 2005 page were captured, so
the binary is actually available. That's a surprise.

You have more work ahead of you. I'm sure there's more to the
story than that (some assembly required ?).

At least that will give you some different stuff to test.
Bon appetit ["enjoy your meal"].

HTH,
Paul
Shadow
2017-06-05 13:41:29 UTC
On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 09:51:21 +0200, Reinhard Skarbal
Post by Reinhard Skarbal
says...
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Ant
Is it still Exact Audio Copy and LAME encoder?
Thank you in advance. :)
You'd need to qualify "best". EAC's main claim to fame (IIRR) is that it
has many goes at reading a damaged track; otherwise, being basically
digital signals, they all do the same so it's just a matter of what
convenience features have been added.
As for converting to MP3 after you've ripped, I _think_ LAME is the
_only_ freeware one, and all other (free anyway) ones are based on it
(though admit that fact to varying degrees). I could be wrong though.
Hi
I'm worried about download_audiograbber_mp3_plugin.exe and
https://www.virustotal.com/de/file/79195e7aa9e6d587ee4a6f5923c637afb774e
16ca661a07973dfb979e392ed82/analysis/1496648683/
Yes, that looks awful.
Post by Reinhard Skarbal
Where can I get a clean lame ?
I've always got mine from here. Also Flac. Site's been there
for eons.

http://www.rarewares.org/index.php

You already know - check with Virustotal before use,
infrequently updated sites tend to get hacked.

You can configure EAC to use the LAME exe or the dll

http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php

Encode to at least q 2 for variable, or 192 for fixed.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-06-05 18:47:30 UTC
In message <***@4ax.com>, Shadow
<***@dow.br> writes:
[]
Post by Shadow
Encode to at least q 2 for variable, or 192 for fixed.
[]'s
I disagree on principle: it depends on the source material. If for
example the source material is mono, then a lower minimum (though not
necessarily half; that depends on how well your encoder handles stereo
similarities). And if the source is band-limited (a _lot_ of material,
especially from the earlier half of the [20th] century, for example,
contains nothing significant above say 11 kHz other than surface noise
and hiss; material from the first _quarter_ of the century sometimes has
nothing above about 5.5), then there's no point I can see in not halving
(or quartering) the sample rate of the raw audio _before_ compression,
which tends to lead to a lower data rate being acceptable after it.

So a blanket rule is an oversimplification.

Had you said "... for full CD-quality material", I'd disagree less,
though still would say it is influenced by the characteristics of the
source material. (I think one significant factor is how rapidly it
_changes_; I have some alphorn music which, though the source was
recorded at reasonable quality, encoded to amazingly low rate; by the
nature of the instrument, it does not change rapidly.)

Well I wish you'd just tell me, rather than trying to engage my enthusiasm,
because I haven't got one. (Marvin; first series, fit the fifth.)
Andy
Fokke Nauta
2017-06-05 09:12:18 UTC
Post by Ant
Is it still Exact Audio Copy and LAME encoder?
Thank you in advance. :)
Yep!

Fokke
s|b
2017-06-05 11:37:43 UTC
Post by Ant
Is it still Exact Audio Copy and LAME encoder?
I would think so, yes.

Keep in mind that all versions after 0.95b3 are not capable of copying
audio CDs with copy protection.

<http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/resources/whats-new/whats-new/>

<quote>

February 21, 2006

The german magazin c’t published an article whether EAC is or is not
violating a german law against circumvention of copy protections on
audio CDs. Some of the experts they asked had the opinion that the
function of retrieving the native TOC is working at the limit of
legality, at best. Due to that article and to eliminate any possibility
of legal problems, I decided to remove that function (although I am
pretty sure that it is absolutely legal). I always try to make sure to
be fully compliant with german law, even if I would interpret the law
absolutely differently.

Anyway, there are at least some few bug-fixes in this update, e.g.
creating an image having the artist and CD title as filename will now
show the file dialog properly when special characters are used.

For the next version it is still planned to add test & copy of CD images
and for the version after that I will try to implement Unicode support
for freedb queries and main window display and edit.

I am sorry about all this, but please understand my point of view.

</quote>
s|b
Ant
2017-06-05 20:59:29 UTC
Post by s|b
Post by Ant
Is it still Exact Audio Copy and LAME encoder?
I would think so, yes.
Keep in mind that all versions after 0.95b3 are not capable of copying
audio CDs with copy protection.
<http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/resources/whats-new/whats-new/>
Darn. Maybe I need to install that final version? Is it even safe to use
it in 64-bit W7? :/
--
"Doubts are the ants in the pants of faith, keeping it awake and
moving." --Fredrick Beuchner
B00ze
2017-06-06 03:27:55 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by s|b
Post by Ant
Is it still Exact Audio Copy and LAME encoder?
I would think so, yes.
Keep in mind that all versions after 0.95b3 are not capable of copying
audio CDs with copy protection.
<http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/resources/whats-new/whats-new/>
Darn. Maybe I need to install that final version? Is it even safe to use
it in 64-bit W7? :/
Sometimes EAC takes hours to rip a CD. CueRipper can do the same in
minutes, where both EAC and CueRipper end-up with the same checksum. The
interface is horrible however. See http://cue.tools/wiki/CUERipper.

Regards,
--
! _\|/_ Sylvain / ***@hotmail.com
! (o o) Member:David-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society
oO-( )-Oo I'm not Bajoran, Sisko punched me in the nose. -Kira
s|b
2017-06-06 19:07:34 UTC
On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 23:27:55 -0400, B00ze wrote:

8< very selective snip >8
Post by B00ze
Sometimes EAC takes hours to rip a CD.
This can be the case when the audio CD contains copy protection. In that
case you can choose to retrieve native TOC and change Drive options to
Burst mode. Ripping won't take hours, but minutes.

I only choose Burst mode in case of copy protection. By default I rip in
Secure mode which doesn't take me hours btw. Only when I'm trying to rip
a heavily scratched CD.
s|b
B00ze
2017-06-07 04:55:25 UTC
Post by s|b
8< very selective snip >8
Post by B00ze
Sometimes EAC takes hours to rip a CD.
This can be the case when the audio CD contains copy protection. In that
case you can choose to retrieve native TOC and change Drive options to
Burst mode. Ripping won't take hours, but minutes.
I only choose Burst mode in case of copy protection. By default I rip in
Secure mode which doesn't take me hours btw. Only when I'm trying to rip
a heavily scratched CD.
I have not been using EAC in a long time. I shall again eventually, but
not just yet. When I /was/ using it, it was at V1.0 Beta 3 and it
sometimes took a LONG time to read some tracks, even tho the CD was in
perfect condition (coulda been my CDRom drive). CueRipper was managing
to rip those disks very very quickly and the checksum would match on
ACCURip. I have never tried BURST mode, I shall read-up on this when I
install EAC on this new computer of mine, thanks (CueRipper is fast, but
with EAC I can send the rip to a script of mine which produces a FLAC
and also sends the data to iTunes to encode in AAC, all automatically,
with all Tags; can't do this with CueRipper).

Best Regards,
--
! _\|/_ Sylvain / ***@hotmail.com
! (o o) Member:David-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society
oO-( )-Oo Half the people you know are below average.