masonc
2018-06-17 23:34:12 UTC
My "Start" search shows files that have no relation to what I type.

Using "DOS" dir filename*.* /s I find my file in the active folder.

How do I use Win7 Search to find a file?

Yes, yes, I've googled it to no avail.
Nil
2018-06-17 23:50:29 UTC
Post by masonc
My "Start" search shows files that have no relation to what I type.
Using "DOS" dir filename*.* /s I find my file in the active folder.
How do I use Win7 Search to find a file?
Yes, yes, I've googled it to no avail.
Windows 7 will only search where it's been told to search, which by
default is not the entire hard disk. Check Control Panel | Indexing
Options to see if it's keeping track of where you intend to search.

Or better yet, use a 3rd-party search tool like Everything and/or Agent
Ransack.

DOS syntax will not work in Windows Search.
Paul
2018-06-18 00:26:04 UTC
Post by Nil
Post by masonc
My "Start" search shows files that have no relation to what I type.
Using "DOS" dir filename*.* /s I find my file in the active folder.
How do I use Win7 Search to find a file?
Yes, yes, I've googled it to no avail.
Windows 7 will only search where it's been told to search, which by
default is not the entire hard disk. Check Control Panel | Indexing
Options to see if it's keeping track of where you intend to search.
Or better yet, use a 3rd-party search tool like Everything and/or Agent
Ransack.
DOS syntax will not work in Windows Search.
https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

https://download.mythicsoft.com/ar/867/AgentRansack_867.exe (use older version for WinXP)

*******

http://www.voidtools.com/downloads/

"Download Everything 1.4.1.895"

HTH,
Paul
David E. Ross
2018-06-18 00:37:15 UTC
Post by Nil
Post by masonc
[...]
Agent Ransack is good for searching within files for specific contents.
Everything is good for searching for files and folders by name. While
Agent Ransack can also search for files and folders by name, Everything
is much faster for that. However, Everything cannot search within files
for content. Thus, I use both.
--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Attorney-General Sessions claims the bible favors imprisoning illegal
aliens. However, God repeatedly commanded us to welcome the stranger in
our land. For example, see the following:
Exodus 22:20 at
<http://bible.ort.org/books/pentd2.asp?ACTION=displaypage&BOOK=2&CHAPTER=22#P2131>
Exodus 23:9 at
<http://bible.ort.org/books/pentd2.asp?ACTION=displaypage&BOOK=2&CHAPTER=23#P2151>
Deuteronomy 10:19 at
<http://bible.ort.org/books/pentd2.asp?ACTION=displaypage&BOOK=5&CHAPTER=10#P5200>
VanguardLH
2018-06-18 01:25:01 UTC
Post by David E. Ross
Agent Ransack is good for searching within files for specific contents.
Everything is good for searching for files and folders by name. While
Agent Ransack can also search for files and folders by name, Everything
is much faster for that. However, Everything cannot search within files
for content. Thus, I use both.
Search Everything is faster because, like Windows Indexing Service, it
runs its own indexer in the background. That means it has a ready-made
cache to do its searches and only has to do incremental adds to its
database for changes in files or folders. Everything is faster than
FileLocator (aka Agent Ransack) when you are doing a single search.

FileLocator (aka Agent Ransack) does not incorporate a background
indexing service to update a database. Instead it has to do a raw scan
of the device from scratch; however, it does build a temporary cache
from that initial scan. The first scan is slow because there is no
cache or database. The second and subsequent searches (within THAT
instance of FileLocator) are just as fast as Search Everything since
those searches get to use the cache that was built in the first scan.
When you exit FileLocator, you lose the cache (no option to keep it
around for the next use of FileLocator).

If you don't mind having a constant memory and CPU footprint for a
background indexing service and you do NOT need to look for content
within the files, Search Everything is a good choice. If you don't want
to waste resources on background processes because you seldomly search
(you're highly organized in your folder hierarchy or you usually search
for more than one file/folder), or you might sometimes need to find
which file has some string within it, then FileLocator is more a good
choice.

I use both. I have plenty of system RAM and my OS+app drive is an SSD.
For file/folder name-only searches, I use Everything; however, I've had
to modify its configuration to include more than its install-time set of
default folders that it indexes. Both let me use regex to more
accurately target the files/folders that I want to find. If I want to
search within the files, Everything is a fail, so I use FileLocator.
Nil
2018-06-18 02:10:39 UTC
Post by David E. Ross
Agent Ransack is good for searching within files for specific
contents. Everything is good for searching for files and folders
by name. While Agent Ransack can also search for files and
folders by name, Everything is much faster for that. However,
Everything cannot search within files for content. Thus, I use
both.
99% of my searches are for file name. I almost always know what to
expect within the file. I have Agent Ransack in stalled, but I can't
recall the last time I actually used it. OTOH, I use Everything several
times a day. For me, it's essential.
tesla sTinker
Nil
D***@MadCow.net
2018-06-18 17:02:36 UTC
Post by masonc
My "Start" search shows files that have no relation to what I type.
Using "DOS" dir filename*.* /s I find my file in the active folder.
How do I use Win7 Search to find a file?
Yes, yes, I've googled it to no avail.
I've been using xSearch for years. It's free.

http://www.easexp.com/xsearch/

DC