Explorer Identical Listings
SteveGG
2017-08-08 22:40:43 UTC
I have a persistent, minor problem, where the explorer list 2
completely identical listings of the directory structure. The 1st
behaves normally but the 2nd has no contents in the duplicant
directories and no access or any functions. This "problem" is minor
since it is only an extra line in the explorer. Any help greately
appreciated and thanks !
Ed Cryer
2017-08-09 11:53:57 UTC
Post by SteveGG
I have a persistent, minor problem, where the explorer list 2
completely identical listings of the directory structure. The 1st
behaves normally but the 2nd has no contents in the duplicant
directories and no access or any functions. This "problem" is minor
since it is only an extra line in the explorer. Any help greately
appreciated and thanks !
You must have some third-party app running and producing the 2nd list.
Show us some snapshot of the listing and any other output relevant.

Ed
SteveGG
2017-08-16 14:49:56 UTC
Ed,

Thanks for your response.

Where to send the screen capture ?

Steve
Ed
Ed Cryer
2017-08-16 18:21:11 UTC
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by SteveGG
I have a persistent, minor problem, where the explorer list 2
completely identical listings of the directory structure. The 1st
behaves normally but the 2nd has no contents in the duplicant
directories and no access or any functions. This "problem" is minor
since it is only an extra line in the explorer. Any help greately
appreciated and thanks !
You must have some third-party app running and producing the 2nd list.
Show us some snapshot of the listing and any other output relevant.
Ed
Is it video-capture? What size?

This is a deep problem, and we depend on what you can fathom of it.
If it were me I'd apply what I call "push it to its limits" techniques.
Those consists of doing it over and over, in different situations,
constantly changing the situations; and noting, all the while, all
changes in behaviour.

It's not as hard as it sounds, because in real situations where I've
used it, I've found that each iteration reduces the amount of future
ones to try.

Ed
Good Guy
2017-08-16 20:49:55 UTC
Post by Ed Cryer
If it were me
I thought you were you!!!!!!!!!!!!! No?
Post by Ed Cryer
I'd apply what I call "push it to its limits" techniques.
You should tell him to rename the duplicate folder so that that idiot
can see if it has any impact on the system's performance in any shape or
form. There is no need to be politically correct when dealing with
idiots like SteveGG, Win10Hater, WinXP-user, & Win7User. Idiots should
be treated as idiots otherwise they won't know that they are idiots.
Post by Ed Cryer
It's not as hard as it sounds, because in real situations where I've
used it,
It is hard for idiots like SteveGG
Post by Ed Cryer
I've found that each iteration reduces the amount of future ones to try.
Tell that to an idiot and spend another month to explain it how and why?
Post by Ed Cryer
Ed
Ted
--
With over 500 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
Ed Cryer
2017-08-16 21:20:18 UTC
Post by Good Guy
Post by Ed Cryer
If it were me
I thought you were you!!!!!!!!!!!!! No?
Post by Ed Cryer
I've found that each iteration reduces the amount of future ones to try.
Tell that to an idiot and spend another month to explain it how and why?
Don't preach your fascist Apartheid policy to me. I hate it.

Ed
Good Guy
2017-08-16 21:35:50 UTC
Post by Ed Cryer
Don't preach your fascist Apartheid policy to me. I hate it.
Ed
Then you can fuck off. Simple, don't you think so?

I didn't expect you to receive my message because you are on record to
tell us you have killed filed me.

In fact you need your brain examined if you continue reading my posts
because they are for fuck offs, idiots and nutters. Do you belong to
this group of people? I expect response from them!!!!!!!
--
With over 500 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
Ed Cryer
2017-08-18 12:57:24 UTC
Post by Good Guy
Post by Ed Cryer
Don't preach your fascist Apartheid policy to me. I hate it.
Ed
Then you can fuck off. Simple, don't you think so?
I didn't expect you to receive my message because you are on record to
tell us you have killed filed me.
In fact you need your brain examined if you continue reading my posts
because they are for fuck offs, idiots and nutters. Do you belong to
this group of people? I expect response from them!!!!!!!
--
With over 500 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
What do you expect of your intelligentsia?
Try me in Latin or classical Greek. Or maybe Kant's Critique of Pure Reason.
Or maybe even piano-playing; which I'm taking lessons on at the moment.
Or maybe we could discuss why I didn't write "on which I'm taking
lessons on at the moment".

I'm highly educated, very bright, white male Caucasian; and I far prefer
people like Steve who reach out, to bigoted bullies like yourself, who
keep him and his like down-trodden.

You're my enemy; not he. You're the kind I do battle with, not his.

Ed
Paul
2017-08-16 17:09:59 UTC
Post by Ed Cryer
Post by SteveGG
I have a persistent, minor problem, where the explorer list 2
completely identical listings of the directory structure. The 1st
behaves normally but the 2nd has no contents in the duplicant
directories and no access or any functions. This "problem" is minor
since it is only an extra line in the explorer. Any help greately
appreciated and thanks !
You must have some third-party app running and producing the 2nd list.
Show us some snapshot of the listing and any other output relevant.
Ed
He already posted a URL. I don't know why he doesn't
include it on each re-post. The right-most picture
shows all three entries.

https://postimg.org/gallery/iwnvo96e/

Paul
SteveGG
2017-08-19 14:26:11 UTC
Well, that about covers it.

Just a kind of phantom duplicate listing of all the folder structure.

Still no good ideas ? Anyone ?

As I've said before, it's no big deal, but I don't like mysteries.
Paul
2017-08-19 16:46:39 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Well, that about covers it.
Just a kind of phantom duplicate listing of all the folder structure.
Still no good ideas ? Anyone ?
As I've said before, it's no big deal, but I don't like mysteries.
Two action items for you:

1) Are you using any unusual software.
DropBox ? Do an inventory. Check your Programs and Features.
Think about any ShellEx you've added, any little "tweakers"
you're using, and so on.

2) At one time, I thought you were the guy that was
going to take all the executables on a x64 system,
and put them into just one folder set. Am I mistaken ?
Was it you or someone else who was working on that ?

Since the flaw isn't one involving the various "sections"
in a File Explorer display, it's my feeling there may be
some sort of evidence in the file system itself. In
which case, I use Everything.exe to make a CSV file listing.
Or use NFI.exe and look for funny stuff in there. I would
look for items with "Program" in the file name text string,
to eliminate most of the entries and then you can focus on things
that look like that.

*******

At least on Win10, you can do this. I don't know if the
"fsutil" on Win7 also has this feature or not.

In an Administrator Command Prompt

cd %userprofile%
cd Downloads

fsutil usn readjournal c: > out2.txt

The NTFS file system, records file system changes. They're
recorded in a metadata file, the USN. That command keeps
track. On some systems here, the USN becomes as big as
10GB. It can remember a *lot* of stuff.

It would be the same deal. You'd be looking for entries
concerning "Program Files".

I consider that a long shot, so that wouldn't be my first
choice of a forensic technique. But if you run out of
other little projects to do, you can give that a try
and see how many times you've messed with the "Program Files"
entries.

I suspect there is an illegal file name in your file system,
and the system reads it, truncates the illegal part, and
carries on. Leading to two items displayed on the screen.
But unless you use the utilities to track it down, you're
never going to find it.