Automatic login
2017-06-20 20:58:42 UTC
Hi All,

Note to Cross Posting police. Bite me!

I am posting this to all three groups as it applies to all.

This is a batch file I wrote to create a .reg file
to enable you to automatically log into Windows without
a password. I have used it on Win 2000, XP, Vista, w7,
Frankenstein the Elder (w8), and Frankenstein the
Younger (w10)

I will paste it here, but it will have line truncation errors.
To get around that, I also pasted it on

http://vpaste.net/tKtSx

Use vpaste, if you don't understand batch programming.

Paste it into text editor and save it as `AutoLogon.bat`.
Then just double click on it.

It will create a file called:
C:\drivers\AutoLogin\XP.%USERNAME%.AutoLogonNoPasswd.reg

Ignore the XP.

This .reg file will give you a permanent .reg file you can run
whenever you lose your this setting, do to an update, etc..
Just double click on the .reg file to install it. It required
a reboot to take.

You can also edit this file and add a password if you please.
In some low security setting, this is desirable.

To do this, alter

echo "DefaultPassword"="" >> %Target%
echo "DefaultPassword"="MyPassword" >> %Target%

Alter "MyPassword" to what you desire. And save it back.

I would love feedback.

-T

<code Autologon.bat>
@echo off
rem Create a "reg" file to set an "automatic logon" in Windows XP
rem for the current user (%USERNAME%).

rem this script presumes the current user has no password. Modify
rem the "reg" file, if you want a password

rem This routine will park the "reg" file in c:\drivers\AutoLogin
rem with the name "XP.%USERNAME%.AutoLogonNoPasswd.reg"

set dr1=C:\Drivers
set dr2=%dr1%\AutoLogin
set fname=XP.%USERNAME%.AutoLogonNoPasswd.reg
set Target="%dr2%\%fname%"

if not exist %dr1% mkdir %dr1%
if not exist %dr2% mkdir %dr2%

rem Note: "echo/" and "echo." echo a blank line
rem
echo REGEDIT4 > %Target%
echo/ >> %Target%
echo ; Create an XP Automatic Login .reg file for user %USERNAME% with
no password >> %Target%
echo. >> %Target%
echo [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon] >> %Target%
echo/ >> %Target%
echo "DefaultUserName"="%USERNAME%" >> %Target%
echo "DefaultPassword"="" >> %Target%
echo "AutoAdminLogon"="1" >> %Target%

echo.
echo %fname% has been created in %dr2%
echo.

Pause
</code>
Rene Lamontagne
2017-06-21 02:53:52 UTC
Post by T
[...]
Correct me if I'm wrong or misunderstood your intent, but doesn't
netplwiz.exe with the proper box unchecked allow you to enter windows
without logging in?

Rene
2017-06-21 02:59:21 UTC
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by T
[...]
Hi Rene,

Looking at:

http://www.howto-connect.com/start-windows-10-without-password/

It looks like the same thing I am doing.

-T
Rene Lamontagne
2017-06-21 03:07:07 UTC
Post by T
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by T
[...]
Seems much the same results, I was curious because being the only user
of my machines logging in was just a pain in the butt, so I have been
using this method for ages.

Regards, Rene
2017-06-21 03:16:57 UTC
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by T
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by T
[...]
With my method, you can always just rerun the .reg file if some update
makes you start logging in again.

I carry it on stick. Takes me seconds to enable a no password
logon. I don't have to dig around my documentation to figure out
how to do it manually.

Interesting aside. My customers that do not use password on
their business machines never have any trouble with tampering
by other employees. Only the ones with strict password enforcement.
Hmmmm. Which came first ...
Rene Lamontagne
2017-06-21 13:40:57 UTC
Post by T
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by T
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by T
[...]
Your method is fine too. More than one way to skin a cat. :-)

Rene
micky
2017-08-01 19:44:45 UTC
In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 20 Jun 2017 20:16:57 -0700, T
Post by T
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by T
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by T
Hi All,
Note to Cross Posting police. Bite me!
I am posting this to all three groups as it applies to all.
This is a batch file I wrote to create a .reg file
to enable you to automatically log into Windows without
a password. I have used it on Win 2000, XP, Vista, w7,
Frankenstein the Elder (w8), and Frankenstein the
Younger (w10)
I will paste it here, but it will have line truncation errors.
To get around that, I also pasted it on
http://vpaste.net/tKtSx
I copied this and saved it.
Post by T
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by T
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by T
Use vpaste, if you don't understand batch programming.
I do understand batch programming, but I'm going to look into vpaste
anyhow.
Post by T
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by T
Post by Rene Lamontagne
Post by T
[...]
Sorry it took me so long to reply, just saw these answers, something
must have made me busy.

But alas, I knew about the User Accounts page, and I'd already set it to
not require a password (or maybe it was already set like that since
there was no password). I check periodically, including just now, and
it's always set not to require a userid or password.

I also checked the other suggestion, which seemed to help, but not
enough, and it's still set to "OFF, Show lock screen background picture
on the sign-in screen." Of course the problem at one level is that
there IS a sign-in screen, not that there's a picture on it, but maybe
that is their backhanded method of saying Get rid of the screen.

The problem is that it still displays a nature photograph, and I have to
click in the bottom right. Then it displays an outline of a person's
head with a box below that for the password, and I have to click on it,
or press enter or something, and only then am I logged on.

These seems not to happen when booting (better put, they both occur but
after a while it goes on to the next step, without my doing anything),
and maybe not when coming out of hibernation, but it happens a lot, not
all the time, when I don't touch the computer and it goes to sleep (s1?)

Today it actually went through the "nature photograph, bottom right,
click on outline" sequence twice in a row!!! Who says MS doesn't know
what they're doing. But that's only happened once.

I got a threatening window from MS saying the Creator's edition was
coming**, but that was 2 or 3 weeks ago. After it comes, either it will
have fixed this, or, if I manage to fix it, it won't be overlaid again,
like other problems Creator's has been causing.

So I'm waiting until I get that, but I'm still open to ideas.

Hmmmm. Which came first ...
micky
2017-08-01 19:45:26 UTC

Forgot to say, Thanks anyhow.
2017-08-03 23:03:49 UTC
Post by micky
In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 20 Jun 2017 20:16:57 -0700, T
Forgot to say, Thanks anyhow.
Thank you for getting back. That is classy!

VanguardLH
2017-06-21 07:33:16 UTC
Post by T
Note to Cross Posting police. Bite me!
Who do you think visits the echo"DefaultPassword"="">>%Target% newgroup?
Yep, that was in your Newsgroups header.

You only cross-posted to 2 newsgroups, not 3 because the 3rd is
obviously not a newsgroup name. I flag (and filter out) excessive
cross-posting on greater than 4 newsgroups.

Instead of trying to avert users complaining about cross-posting (which
is childish since no one has to comply with your commands, like telling
bullies they cannot cross a chalk line so they do anyway to push you),
instead you infuriate EVERY poster that attempts to reply to your post.
Why? Because one of the newsgroups you specified does not exist and
every respondent will get nuisanced having to edit their Newsgroups
header in their reply. You blew it big.
Post by T
I am posting this to all three groups as it applies to all.
Nope, just 2: alt.comp.os.windows-10 and alt.windows7.general. The
third is invalid.
Post by T
This is a batch file I wrote to create a .reg file
to enable you to automatically log into Windows without
a password. I have used it on Win 2000, XP, Vista, w7,
Frankenstein the Elder (w8), and Frankenstein the
Younger (w10)
No need to create a batch file that creates another file (.reg) to then
separately run that .reg file. Just have the batch file run reg.exe
commands to do the registry changes. Run "reg.exe /?" to for help.
Note: Since registry key names can have spaces, enclose the key name in
double-quotes to avoid command-line parsing problems.

Whether using a batch file to run reg.exe commands or to run the .reg
file (via regedit.exe /s <file>.reg) that you created with your batch
file, the user will need admin privs.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-edit-registry-using-command-prompt-windows-10
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732643(v=ws.11).aspx
2017-06-21 17:15:40 UTC
Post by T
Note to Cross Posting police. Bite me!
Who do you think visits the echo"DefaultPassword"="">>%Target% newgroup?
Yep, that was in your Newsgroups header.
Hi Vanguard,

X11 has four clipboards. I pasted with the wrong one and
did not look to see what I had pasted. Kind of
funny, huh!

-T