My Home Network Problem
DanM
2018-04-05 17:45:50 UTC
I have an WiFi router that has 2.4GHertz and 5GHertz.
I have two Windows 7 Pro desktops.
Both have the same problem.
Both are now connected only by WiFi.

Last week they were connected by direct cable connection to the internet
and still are wired but there is no internet access through the cable.

That is, when I click the bars icon it used to show both the hardwired
and the wifi connection as connected.

Now I only see the wifi connection at the bars icon. I have internet
connection through wifi.

I am having trouble getting movies from one pc to the other because the
wifi is too slow.

The only thing I have done was to install windows updates.

Please give me simple steps to fix this and bring back the direct
connection by cable.

How can I test to see if the cable is actually providing an internet or
LAN access. Maybe the hardwire port at the wifi router is bad ???
Char Jackson
2018-04-05 20:45:05 UTC
Post by DanM
[...]
Open a Command Prompt on each PC and type "ipconfig". What do you see
regarding the wired Ethernet interfaces? Do they have IP addresses that
are valid for your LAN?

Paste the results in a follow-up post if you need help. Don't retype
anything, just copy the text from the Command Prompt window and paste it
in a new message here.

From those same Command Prompts, type "ping 192.168.1.1" or whatever the
LAN IP of your router is. You should see 4 valid responses each time you
run the ping command. This will test connectivity between the local PC
and the router, but of course it's probably using the WiFi at this time.
Now that you see what a good response looks like, disable the WiFi on
each PC and run the ping test again. Is it successful or do the 4
requests time out? (Actually, if we can see the output of ipconfig we'll
already know if the ping test will be successful.)

Depending on what you find, we can determine next steps.
Bob_S
2018-04-06 01:35:42 UTC
Post by DanM
[...]
Dan,

Uninstall the last update. I don't have the update number in front of me,
but one of the updates for Win7 systems is known to stop the wired Ethernet
connections but WiFi works. I had this same problem on a Win7 Pro host
system where I had two other virtual machines running and it killed the
connections
Bob S.
Wolf K
2018-04-06 14:40:57 UTC
Post by DanM
[...]
I have had the same issue with W8.1, but with wi-fi. Used System restore
to go back to before the Updates.

Bottom line: install updates one at a time. Takes longer, but less
frustrating in the long run. Put some calming music on your favourite
player while you do the updates....

Best,
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
weeks ago."
Char Jackson
2018-04-06 17:25:14 UTC
Post by Wolf K
Bottom line: install updates one at a time. Takes longer, but less
frustrating in the long run. Put some calming music on your favourite
player while you do the updates....
I recently powered up a Win 7 VM that hadn't been running in 2 years or
so. There were 138 updates available, so I let'er rip. I've never
followed the advice to install updates other than all at once. Live
dangerously, right? ;-)
2018-04-06 17:30:59 UTC
Post by Wolf K
Bottom line: install updates one at a time. Takes longer, but less
frustrating in the long run. Put some calming music on your favourite
player while you do the updates....
I recently powered up a Win 7 VM that hadn't been running in 2 years or
so. There were 138 updates available, so I let'er rip. I've never
followed the advice to install updates other than all at once. Live
dangerously, right? ;-)
Live long and prosper.

:-)
kirkwood40.blogspot.com