Fast Light Weight Browser
Add Reply
freenewser
2018-06-02 19:49:00 UTC
Suggestions please.

Need for Win XP Pro and Win 7 Pro

FireFox keeps stealing 50% of my CPU !!!

What about Vivaldi ? Others ?

Want to get away from Mozilla.
Nil
2018-06-02 20:20:01 UTC
Post by freenewser
Suggestions please.
Want to get away from Mozilla.
You should get away from nymshifting and multiposting.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-06-02 22:36:56 UTC
Post by Nil
Post by freenewser
Suggestions please.
A hyphen wouldn't go astray; without one, I'm wondering how the speed of
light has any bearing on how you can browse your weights.
Post by Nil
Post by freenewser
Want to get away from Mozilla.
I second Auric's suggestion of Off By One - and his suggestion that you
won't like it!
Post by Nil
You should get away from nymshifting and multiposting.
What are some of his others, if he _is_ a nymshifter?

"Flobalob" actually means "Flowerpot" in Oddle-Poddle.
Nil
2018-06-03 18:39:20 UTC
What are some of his others, if he _is_ a nymshifter?
"If"???

NoonName <"NoonName "@NoonPlace.com>
Locker <***@freenews.com>
Firedup <***@Firedup.com>
Nat <***@natural.com>
Filbert <***@Filbert.com>
freenewser <***@freenewsers.com>
freeof10 <"freeof10 "@freeof10.com>
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-06-03 21:07:52 UTC
Post by Nil
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
What are some of his others, if he _is_ a nymshifter?
"If"???
OK, OK. Let him get on with looking for a weight browser.

I have never liked children, even when I was one.
- Miriam Margolyes (RT 2014/11/1-7)
Steve Hayes
2018-06-04 04:19:24 UTC
On Sun, 03 Jun 2018 14:39:20 -0400, Nil
Post by Nil
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
What are some of his others, if he _is_ a nymshifter?
"If"???
Please change the subject line when you change the subject, so we
don't have to download the bodies of irrelevant messages.
--
Steve Hayes
http://www.khanya.org.za/stevesig.htm
http://khanya.wordpress.com
Nil
Should I ever post an irrelevent message, perhaps I might.
Nil
2018-06-05 01:31:00 UTC
Post by Steve Hayes
Please change the subject line when you change the subject, so we
don't have to download the bodies of irrelevant messages.
No, I don't think I will. Threads drift and there's nothing you can do
about it.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-06-05 17:29:01 UTC
Post by Nil
Post by Steve Hayes
Please change the subject line when you change the subject, so we
don't have to download the bodies of irrelevant messages.
No, I don't think I will. Threads drift and there's nothing you can do
about it.
Yes, but there's nothing stopping you from changing the subject line
when they do. I do if I'm changing the content, or posting a followup
that mostly links to the O-original-T content.

Some newsreaders that put posts into threads (i. e. the usual way) don't
always change the subject shown, though. (Some do once the oldest post
they retain in the thread has the changed subject - though these days a
lot of people, I understand, don't expire postings.)

... the greatest musical festival in the world that doesn't involve mud.
- Eddie Mair, RT 2014/8/16-22
Mayayana
2018-06-02 20:27:36 UTC
| Suggestions please.
|
| Need for Win XP Pro and Win 7 Pro
|
| FireFox keeps stealing 50% of my CPU !!!

I use FF and Pale Moon on XP. I've never had
any problems with CPU load. The problem is not FF.
Tips:

* Don't leave a large number of tabs/windows open.
That's basic housekeeping. If you won't need to
I'm amazd at how many people think they have
some kind of right to be slobs, with 50+ sites open,
and then get angry because the browser can't
handle it.

* If you allow script then install NoScript and get
used to it. Many sites now are basically software
programs written in javascript, and often bigger than
some of the software on your computer. Most of
that script is intrusive, risky and unnecessary.
A few years ago, 100KB+ was too big. These days
2-6 MB is not unusual. And often that can involve
auto-starting video.... So don't allow auto-starting
video!

In about:config, set Network.prefetch-next to False.
That will stop FF performing the idiotic task of
preloading webpages *in case* you decide to visit
them. It's wastful and a privacy problem. The only
advantage is that it can sometimes make FF seem
fast because if you decide to click on a link, FF
may have already loaded that page!
Also set network.predictor.enabled to false.

Also set Accessibility.blockautorefresh to True,
especially if you're leaving tabs/windows open. That
means sites won't keep reloading the page without
you asking. It has the added advantage that you
don't suddenly lose what you're reading. FF will show
a bar at the top giving you the option to reload.

Don't allow video at all unless you really want
it. By all means, don't allow Flash.

Beyond that, you can get more extreme if you want
to be safer, more private, and faster. For most sites
I block 3rd-party images by using Pale Moon and
setting Permissions.default.image to 3. I also block
Google's font server in HOSTS, for privacy, security
and efficiency.

If you let commercial websites do as they like and you
leave lots of windows open then any browser will be slow.
But it's not hard to keep it lean. I find nearly all sites
load almost instantly, in PM or FF, and I never notice
and strain on either CPU or RAM. There's simply no excuse
for CPU load because no page should be running anything
after it's loaded. But it's up to you to make sure they're
not.
Shadow
2018-06-02 21:58:48 UTC
On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 16:27:36 -0400, "Mayayana"
Post by Mayayana
| Suggestions please.
|
| Need for Win XP Pro and Win 7 Pro
|
| FireFox keeps stealing 50% of my CPU !!!

I use FF and Pale Moon on XP. I've never had
any problems with CPU load. The problem is not FF.
* Don't leave a large number of tabs/windows open.
That's basic housekeeping. If you won't need to
I'm amazd at how many people think they have
some kind of right to be slobs, with 50+ sites open,
and then get angry because the browser can't
handle it.
* If you allow script then install NoScript and get
used to it. Many sites now are basically software
programs written in javascript, and often bigger than
some of the software on your computer. Most of
that script is intrusive, risky and unnecessary.
A few years ago, 100KB+ was too big. These days
2-6 MB is not unusual. And often that can involve
auto-starting video.... So don't allow auto-starting
video!
In about:config, set Network.prefetch-next to False.
That will stop FF performing the idiotic task of
preloading webpages *in case* you decide to visit
them. It's wastful and a privacy problem. The only
advantage is that it can sometimes make FF seem
fast because if you decide to click on a link, FF
may have already loaded that page!
Also set network.predictor.enabled to false.
Also set Accessibility.blockautorefresh to True,
especially if you're leaving tabs/windows open. That
means sites won't keep reloading the page without
you asking. It has the added advantage that you
don't suddenly lose what you're reading. FF will show
a bar at the top giving you the option to reload.
Don't allow video at all unless you really want
it. By all means, don't allow Flash.
Beyond that, you can get more extreme if you want
to be safer, more private, and faster. For most sites
I block 3rd-party images by using Pale Moon and
setting Permissions.default.image to 3. I also block
Google's font server in HOSTS, for privacy, security
and efficiency.
If you let commercial websites do as they like and you
leave lots of windows open then any browser will be slow.
But it's not hard to keep it lean. I find nearly all sites
load almost instantly, in PM or FF, and I never notice
and strain on either CPU or RAM. There's simply no excuse
for CPU load because no page should be running anything
after it's loaded. But it's up to you to make sure they're
not.
More here:

https://gist.github.com/0XDE57/fbd302cef7693e62c769

I don't have "network.predictor.enabled" in my Palemoon.
Do I assume it's not active or should I add it and set it to
"false" ?
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Mayayana
2018-06-03 00:11:27 UTC
"Shadow" <***@dow.br> wrote

| I don't have "network.predictor.enabled" in my Palemoon.
| Do I assume it's not active or should I add it and set it to
| "false" ?

I don't see it in mine, either. But it's not new.
I just added it for good measure. There are a
number of settings that don't exist unless added.
PeterC
2018-06-03 07:14:56 UTC
Post by Mayayana
| I don't have "network.predictor.enabled" in my Palemoon.
| Do I assume it's not active or should I add it and set it to
| "false" ?
I don't see it in mine, either. But it's not new.
I just added it for good measure. There are a
number of settings that don't exist unless added.
Using PM 27.9.2. "network.predictor.enabled" is there and not bold, so I
assume that it's standard - if it's not, I haven't added it myself but some
add-on might have done.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

---
2018-06-03 12:26:01 UTC
"PeterC" <***@homecall.co.uk> wrote

| Using PM 27.9.2. "network.predictor.enabled" is there and not bold, so I
| assume that it's standard

Sounds like it. I'm using v. 24, the last for XP.
Mine seems to date from 2014. (I keep thinking of
switching to SeaMonkey, which still has an XP
version, but never quite get around to trying it.)

The links I found relating to the setting date from
2015 and mentioned that it had been "set to default
to true again". Apparently it had been called "seer",
they changed the name, then set it to run. I
don't remember the seer setting or whether
that defaulted to true.

Either way, as you may already know, the
setting causes pages to load if you just hover
over the link. So it's not so much "predictor"
as "network.halfwit.over-reactor".

I think of these kinds of settings as sleazy
attempts to hide incompetence. Like the MS Office,
Firefox and Libre Office pre-loaders. Instead of
putting an effort into making the program lean
they make it even more bloated in order to make
it *appear* more lean: The program seems to
start up fast because it's already running. The
pages seem to load fast because they're already
loaded.

In this case it also adds a whole new dimension
to privacy and security issues. People end up visiting
numerous sites they never knew they visited.
PeterC
2018-06-03 16:27:11 UTC
Post by Mayayana
| Using PM 27.9.2. "network.predictor.enabled" is there and not bold, so I
| assume that it's standard
Sounds like it. I'm using v. 24, the last for XP.
Mine seems to date from 2014. (I keep thinking of
switching to SeaMonkey, which still has an XP
version, but never quite get around to trying it.)
The links I found relating to the setting date from
2015 and mentioned that it had been "set to default
to true again". Apparently it had been called "seer",
they changed the name, then set it to run. I
don't remember the seer setting or whether
that defaulted to true.
Either way, as you may already know, the
setting causes pages to load if you just hover
over the link. So it's not so much "predictor"
as "network.halfwit.over-reactor".
I think of these kinds of settings as sleazy
attempts to hide incompetence. Like the MS Office,
Firefox and Libre Office pre-loaders. Instead of
putting an effort into making the program lean
they make it even more bloated in order to make
it *appear* more lean: The program seems to
start up fast because it's already running. The
pages seem to load fast because they're already
loaded.
In this case it also adds a whole new dimension
to privacy and security issues. People end up visiting
numerous sites they never knew they visited.
I don't know why it's there - it's disabled and, as it's not in bold, that
would be the default setting.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

---
Auric__
2018-06-02 21:39:17 UTC
Post by freenewser
Suggestions please.
Need for Win XP Pro and Win 7 Pro
FireFox keeps stealing 50% of my CPU !!!
What about Vivaldi ? Others ?
Want to get away from Mozilla.
Off By One Browser. Lightweight and works fine, but I bet you won't be happy
with it.
I cannot help it! You are like a miniature prophet of doom.
2018-06-02 23:10:09 UTC
Post by freenewser
Suggestions please.
Need for Win XP Pro and Win 7 Pro
FireFox keeps stealing 50% of my CPU !!!
What about Vivaldi ?  Others ?
Want to get away from Mozilla.
Something is wrong with your firefox. Until you
figure it out, try:

http://brave.com

It is my second browser after firefox. Nice and preppy!
Char Jackson
2018-06-03 00:39:15 UTC
On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 12:49:00 -0700, freenewser
Post by freenewser
Suggestions please.
Need for Win XP Pro and Win 7 Pro
FireFox keeps stealing 50% of my CPU !!!
What about Vivaldi ? Others ?
Want to get away from Mozilla.
Lynx. It was good enough in 1992; it should be good enough now.
https://www.google.com/search?q=lynx+browser
2018-06-03 02:17:02 UTC
Post by freenewser
Suggestions please.
Need for Win XP Pro and Win 7 Pro
FireFox keeps stealing 50% of my CPU !!!
What about Vivaldi ? Others ?
Want to get away from Mozilla.
Lynx. It was good enough in 1992; it should be good enough now.
https://www.google.com/search?q=lynx+browser
That's what I used at work, because they wouldn't
give us a browser.

I spent approximately 40 hours compiling a browser
from source (had to build all the libraries it
needed, first). The IT department kept a log of all
downloads, and they spotted my source download. And
they sent out a message to "destroy all copies".

Leaving us with Lynx.

You don't really surf with Lynx. It's main claim to
fame is allowing you to download stuff (like maybe
a PDF file on a site).

There is a piece of software that was given
a similar name, like "links", which is apparently
another one of those text-only browsers.

It's only 19 years old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Links_%28web_browser%29

Paul
Steve Hayes
2018-06-03 02:27:01 UTC
Post by freenewser
Suggestions please.
Need for Win XP Pro and Win 7 Pro
FireFox keeps stealing 50% of my CPU !!!
What about Vivaldi ? Others ?
Want to get away from Mozilla.
You could try Maxthon.

But I've not discovered how to run NoScript with Maxthon, so I usually
use an older version of Firefox, v41, which isn't so bloated.
http://khanya.wordpress.com
mechanic
You don't have Edge on Windows 7? Dark ages or what!
Char Jackson
2018-06-03 15:03:02 UTC
Post by mechanic
Post by freenewser
Suggestions please.
Need for Win XP Pro and Win 7 Pro
FireFox keeps stealing 50% of my CPU !!!
What about Vivaldi ? Others ?
Want to get away from Mozilla.
You don't have Edge on Windows 7? Dark ages or what!
Edge works great to download a proper browser.
Rene Lamontagne
2018-06-03 15:17:16 UTC
Post by mechanic
Post by freenewser
Suggestions please.
Need for Win XP Pro and Win 7 Pro
FireFox keeps stealing 50% of my CPU !!!
What about Vivaldi ? Others ?
Want to get away from Mozilla.
You don't have Edge on Windows 7? Dark ages or what!
Edge works great to download a proper browser.
Ah, so that's what it's for!

Rene
Paul
2018-06-03 20:15:30 UTC
Post by mechanic
Post by freenewser
Suggestions please.
Need for Win XP Pro and Win 7 Pro
FireFox keeps stealing 50% of my CPU !!!
What about Vivaldi ? Others ?
Want to get away from Mozilla.
You don't have Edge on Windows 7? Dark ages or what!
Edge works great to download a proper browser.
Aha! We've finally found a single fan for MSEdge :-)

The MS Public Relations team will be out to
shoot a picture of you, for promotional purposes.

2018-06-03 21:09:28 UTC
Post by mechanic
You don't have Edge on Windows 7? Dark ages or what!
Edge works great to download a proper browser.
Aha! We've finally found a single fan for MSEdge :-)
I think you'll find Char wasn't being a fan of it (-:!
Post by Paul
The MS Public Relations team will be out to
shoot a picture of you, for promotional purposes.
Paul
Or, if they read more carefully what he said, just to shoot him.

Ken Blake
Yes, I had to read it twice before I realized it.
Char Jackson
2018-06-04 15:17:55 UTC
Post by mechanic
Post by freenewser
Suggestions please.
Need for Win XP Pro and Win 7 Pro
FireFox keeps stealing 50% of my CPU !!!
What about Vivaldi ? Others ?
Want to get away from Mozilla.
You don't have Edge on Windows 7? Dark ages or what!
Edge works great to download a proper browser.
Aha! We've finally found a single fan for MSEdge :-)
The MS Public Relations team will be out to
shoot a picture of you, for promotional purposes.
When they shoot that picture, feel free to zoom in to see that I'm
simply downloading Firefox. ;-)
Mark Blain
2018-06-03 19:41:48 UTC
Post by freenewser
Suggestions please.
Need for Win XP Pro and Win 7 Pro
FireFox keeps stealing 50% of my CPU !!!
What about Vivaldi ? Others ?
Want to get away from Mozilla.
QTWeb hasn't been updated since 2013, but it has a nice set of built-in
features and privacy controls (including a limited ad blocker) and is
very lightweight: the standalone version is a single file which
requires no installation.
http://qtweb.net/