Winamp Versions for 7
Add Reply
Jess Fertudei
2017-06-19 02:20:45 UTC
I have been cobbling an old Win 7 Home Premium 64bit box with reinstalled
Windows and upgrading RAM, video and etc. when I can get a few precious
minutes of spare time here and there.
I have been a longtime XP user and no little about 7 and up.

On XP32bit have been using free Winamp 5:05 for playback and internet radio
and the likes... not much else. I use the out jack to a low power FM
transmitter that I can hear all around our 49 acres but not much further,
so, the version with the basic equalizer for a skin suits my needs well. I
see there are newer versions of v5 but some say they have mp3 troubles and
etc.

Can I just go to Old Versions and snag a copy of 5:05 and be done with it or
is there an issue with that old build on 64 bit boxes?

Is there another freebie/cheapie player out there that can be a default mp3
player with better quality from the equalizer or whatever?

TIA
Paul in Houston TX
2017-06-19 02:50:17 UTC
Post by Jess Fertudei
[...]
Can't answer the Winamp question exactly, but nearly all 32 bit programs will
work just fine with 7/64.
I stopped using WinAmp years ago and now use Screamer. It records.
It's small and simple, no equalizer, no eye candy, etc.
https://www.steamcore.se/
Ant
2017-06-19 03:57:57 UTC
V5.666 works fine for me as a player.
--
Happy Father's Day including the male alates that died right after their nuptial flights.
| |o o| |
( ) ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
Diesel
2017-06-19 11:41:49 UTC
Post by Ant
V5.666 works fine for me as a player.
Same here

Why are there 5 syllables in the word "monosyllabic"?
Bob Borbiro
2017-06-19 23:14:32 UTC
Post by Diesel
Post by Ant
V5.666 works fine for me as a player.
Same here
ver. 5.666 also works well in Windows 10 64-bit without needing any tweaks.
It's great for mp3 playback from folders - I'm not a fan of playlists.
I like its ability to sort the tracks into different sequences.
The drawback is in CD playing: no track list (only track 01, track02,..)
as it doesn't have access to cddb or freedb.
So VLC is better in that regard.
Char Jackson
2017-06-19 04:15:07 UTC
On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 22:20:45 -0400, "Jess Fertudei"
Post by Jess Fertudei
I have been cobbling an old Win 7 Home Premium 64bit box
On XP32bit have been using free Winamp 5:05 for playback and internet radio
and the likes... not much else. I use the out jack to a low power FM
transmitter that I can hear all around our 49 acres but not much further,
so, the version with the basic equalizer for a skin suits my needs well. I
see there are newer versions of v5 but some say they have mp3 troubles and
etc.
I've used at least most, if not all, v5 versions of WinAmp on my Win 7
PC and the only issue I ever had was with the lyrics plugin. If you
don't use that, I don't think you'll have any problems with any of them.
I'm currently using 5.666.
2017-06-19 04:21:47 UTC
Post by Jess Fertudei
[...]
Old programs work... except when they don't work :-(

Once the program is installed, do Properties on the EXE file
in the Program Files folder. There will be a Compatibility
setting. You can change the OS setting to an older one
like Windows XP, if you think it will help.

The name WinAmp makes me nervous, as it is claimed to have the
ability to bypass the Windows audio mixer. WinXP and Win7
have different audio implementations. If a program that
fiddles with low level stuff, is moved from one OS
to another, where the audio stack is different, what happens ?

I can tell you, that my attempts to run old versions of Audacity
generally met with failure. Every time I changed the Compatibility
setting on audacity.exe , I would get "different audio symptoms"
but it never, ever worked right. If I got a modern version, a
version compiled for Windows 7 usage, then it would work.

If you have programs which just do computations, those
port nicely. I can grab an old version of calc.exe and
transplant it onto Windows 10, and it still works (and
it looks nicer). But anything with potential hooks, could
have troubles. While there is a Compatibility mode, at
least for audio, I can't say I found the results all that
good. Some other subsystems may have better Compatibility
behavior than the audio does. I had the same sort of issues
trying to get DScaler to work with my WinTV card. Close,
but no cigar.

Paul
David E. Ross
2017-06-19 05:38:02 UTC
Post by Jess Fertudei
[...]
Winamp development and distribution was terminated by Nullsoft's owner,
whiich was AOL. A Belgian company bought the name and rights from AOL
but did not get the rights to third-party licenses needed if development
and distribution are to resume.

I have a copy of the version 5.666 installer, which did indeed install
for Windows 7. Running it on Windows 7 in Windows XP compatibility mode
does not seem necessary. However, I now much prefer VLC by VideoLAN for
streaming, playing CDs, and viewing videos of my grandchildren sent to
me by my children.

If you really want Winamp 5.666, post a reply to this thread.
Otherwise, get the latest x64 Windows version (2.2.6) of VLC from
<http://download.videolan.org/vlc/2.2.6/win64/vlc-2.2.6-win64.exe>.
--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com>

Consider:
* Most state mandate that drivers have liability insurance.
* Employers are mandated to have worker's compensation insurance.
* If you live in a flood zone, flood insurance is mandatory.
* If your home has a mortgage, fire insurance is mandatory.

Why then is mandatory health insurance so bad??
Jess Fertudei
Does VLC play mp3 through an adjustable equalizer?
Brian Gregory
2017-06-19 12:42:18 UTC
Post by Jess Fertudei
Does VLC play mp3 through an adjustable equalizer?
Yes. Click on "Show extended settings" button and that (rather
illogically) brings up "Adjustments and effects". Look under "Audio
Effects".
--
Brian Gregory (in the UK).
David E. Ross
2017-06-19 14:46:36 UTC
Post by Jess Fertudei
Post by David E. Ross
Post by Jess Fertudei
[...]
Yes, it does play mp3. I just now used VLC to play a very short mp3
file that is on my local hard drive.

It has an equalizer, but reaching it is not intuitive. The equalizer is
not reached through the menu bar. You have to select the "Show extended
settings" button at the bottom of the window. On the resulting
Ajustments and Effects window, it is on the Equalizer subtab of the
Audio Effects tab. The default state is disabled; to enable it, check
the Enable checkbox.

Jess Fertudei
I just downloaded v2.6.6 and will give it a try one of these days.
Fokke Nauta
2017-06-19 07:40:35 UTC
Post by Jess Fertudei
[...]
Winamp 5.666 runs fine on my W7 pro 64b pc.

Fokke
JJ
Mine is still 5.541. Still good without any problem.
The Newest Other Guy
2017-06-19 19:35:39 UTC
Post by Jess Fertudei
I have been cobbling an old Win 7 Home Premium 64bit box with reinstalled
Windows and upgrading RAM, video and etc. when I can get a few precious
minutes of spare time here and there.
I have been a longtime XP user and no little about 7 and up.
On XP32bit have been using free Winamp 5:05
Winamp 5.666 is the latest version.

There was SUPPOSED to be future new versions,
but THAT has been said for more than 3 years now,
since the sale, and nothing so far.
Big Al
2017-06-19 22:39:51 UTC
Post by Jess Fertudei
[...]
I gave up on Winamp and changed to AIMP
http://aimp.ru/index.php?do=download
And personally I like this skin better than the one that ships.
ZIX http://www.aimp.ru/index.php?do=catalog&rec_id=233