Post by Seymore4Head
A few months ago I had a formatted my SSD drive and re installed
Windows7. The automatic updates failed a few times and I had to go
though a reverting process. I turned off automatic updates.
I turned automatic updates on last night and it installed about 180
updates. Well half of them failed including SP1.
It seems like formatting drive is something I am going to have to do
anyway to fix this.
When I formatted the drive, I used the same disk and had the exact
same hardware that had been updated regularly without a problem.
You should join Book Of The Month club,
because you'd have your book by now.
You'd want to install SP1 first. There's no point running WU when
the original version of Windows 7 is no longer supported. That's
the *first* update that goes in. Ordinarily, people would just
download the Win7 SP1 installer DVD and do the install from there,
as that avoids this step entirely. The Heidoc URL generator, can
make a URL to help you get a download like that.
You can use the Catalog server to get a copy of SP1. When some of
the old updates go missing, this is how you can get them.
Search terms: "windows 7 service pack 1"
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 Service Packs 5/31/2011 912.4 MB
x64-based Systems (KB976932)
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 Service Packs 5/31/2011 541.9 MB
x86-based Systems (KB976932)
In the old days, before the Dark Times, you could get SP1 this way.
And it may still be worthwhile doing it this way. Notice how Microsoft
goes for "Maximum Aggravation" by listing a bunch of irrelevant files
first, before getting to the ones that most users need. I reformatted
this stuff in a previous posting, so I didn't have to redo it. The two
with the arrows, are for a 64-bit or 32-bit OS install respectively.
7601.17514.101119-1850_Update_Sp_Wave1-GRMSP1.1_DVD.iso 1.0 GB
Windows_Win7SP1. ... .AMD64CHK.Symbols.msi 262.0 MB
Windows_Win7SP1. ... .AMD64FRE.Symbols.msi 287.0 MB
Windows_Win7SP1. ... .IA64CHK.Symbols.msi 241.0 MB
Windows_Win7SP1. ... .IA64FRE.Symbols.msi 193.0 MB
Windows_Win7SP1. ... .X86CHK.Symbols.msi 294.0 MB
Windows_Win7SP1. ... .X86FRE.Symbols.msi 330.0 MB
windows6.1-KB976932-IA64.exe 511.0 MB
windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe 903.0 MB <------
windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe 537.0 MB <------
Wsusoffline can be used to generate a list of updates
too, but it has its own problems. Namely, wuauserv goes nuts
just as easily during a Wsusoffline run (to install updates)
as a regular WU session would do. Virtually nothing in
this business "just works". Every step is a PITA. Maybe after
WU starts working, you can switch over to running Wsusoffline
on a USB stick (prepared on another computer perhaps).
OK, once the OS claims to be at SP1, we can work on WU next.
The first one is a tiny servicing stack update. The second
one is 500MB and will take a while to download. The second
one is an unnecessary Cumulative that has a patch for WU
sandwiched in it. It would have been more human friendly
to just provide the goods, so a user could "walk away" from this
mess later and let the automation take care of it. But nooooo...
said Microsoft, let's use "Maximum Misery" as our motto.
These MRU files, some of them allow skipping a reboot until
a bunch are done, and when the second one is done, you can ask
it to reboot at that point. You just double click the MRU file,
to kick off the WUSA installer.
What should happen at this point, is there is a *chance* that WU
will work. And, you're at SP1. If you're really lucky, WU will
show a bunch of updates.
You could clean out C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution before running
Windows Update. That sometimes helps. After the '574 update, it
should only take about five minutes for the update list to appear.
I generally clean that out, using a Linux boot CD and Terminal.
(Their equivalent of Command Prompt.) Just to make it easy.
Examples of the "Windows way" of doing it, are shown here. I
sometimes edit these scripts and remove the bits I don't
like, and keep the other bits. This should have a step in
it for cleaning SoftwareDistribution.
This step is only necessary, if the "history" shows a continuing
hopeless trail of "fails". If the plumbing is jammed, you'll not
make any forward progress until some sort of cleaning is done.
I *have* installed all the updates on these OSes *manually*, using
MBSA 2.3 (baseline security analyzer) and catalog.update.microsoft.com.
That's over a hundred downloads. It takes *hours* to do that, but, it
will eventually succeed. Some hair loss could be an unpleasant
side effect. My vision was getting just a little bit blurry
near the end.
This person does this kind of stuff too, and offers good advice.
If '574 didn't install, you'd check for the Servicing Stack updates,
whatever was currently available. He is using '605 which is the
Cumulative after the '574 I tested with. The catalog.update.microsoft.com
entries for those two, list almost identical file sizes.
Those are just some of the ingredients.
You know, I even got Windows Update to work on Vista SP2. But,
it took me three attempts, and on the third attempt, I beat the
sucker. There was a lot of hair loss for that one. Vista is much
worse to fix, than Win7. I don't think the looping behavior on an
unpatched Vista, ever stops. That's how miserable it is.