.bat on taskbar?
2018-05-04 20:20:12 UTC
Hi All,

Windows 7 Pro, SP1, 32 bit

I created a Perl6 program for a customer. I created a shortcut
to it on the desktop. But Windows won't allow me to to copy
it to the task bar as perl6 is a batch file.

Looking at google, the trick of creating
cmd /c perl6 program.pl6
on the desktop and dragging it to the task bar, did not
work either

Any word of wisdom?

-T
It seams that it does not like "cmd.exe"
Big Al
2018-05-04 21:57:29 UTC
Post by T
Hi All,
Windows 7 Pro, SP1, 32 bit
I created a Perl6 program for a customer.  I created a shortcut
to it on the desktop.  But Windows won't allow me to to copy
it to the task bar as perl6 is a batch file.
Looking at google, the trick of creating
          cmd /c perl6 program.pl6
on the desktop and dragging it to the task bar, did not
work either
Any word of wisdom?
-T
Put it on the menu by copying it in
C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
and then open the Windows start menu (bottom left corner icon) and find
it and right click and "add to task bar" ? maybe?
2018-05-04 22:17:58 UTC
Post by Big Al
Post by T
Hi All,
Windows 7 Pro, SP1, 32 bit
I created a Perl6 program for a customer.  I created a shortcut
to it on the desktop.  But Windows won't allow me to to copy
it to the task bar as perl6 is a batch file.
Looking at google, the trick of creating
           cmd /c perl6 program.pl6
on the desktop and dragging it to the task bar, did not
work either
Any word of wisdom?
-T
Put it on the menu by copying it in
C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
and then open the Windows start menu (bottom left corner icon) and find
it and right click and "add to task bar" ?   maybe?
All I can do it "send to desktop". No pin options in
the context menu.

Rats!

Thank you anyway!

-T
2018-05-04 23:24:37 UTC
Post by T
Hi All,
Windows 7 Pro, SP1, 32 bit
I created a Perl6 program for a customer.  I created a shortcut
to it on the desktop.  But Windows won't allow me to to copy
it to the task bar as perl6 is a batch file.
Looking at google, the trick of creating
          cmd /c perl6 program.pl6
on the desktop and dragging it to the task bar, did not
work either
Any word of wisdom?
-T
Tried using what the bat file used and that did not work
either (the shortcut did):

C:\rakudo\bin\moar.exe --execname="%~dpf0"
--libpath="C:\rakudo\share\nqp\lib"
--libpath="C:\rakudo\share\perl6\lib"
--libpath="C:\rakudo\share\perl6\runtime"
C:\rakudo\share\perl6\runtime\perl6.moarvm C:\NtUtil\RemoveMargin.pl6"
VanguardLH
2018-05-05 03:25:37 UTC
Post by T
Windows 7 Pro, SP1, 32 bit
I created a Perl6 program for a customer. I created a shortcut
to it on the desktop. But Windows won't allow me to to copy
it to the task bar as perl6 is a batch file.
Looking at google, the trick of creating
cmd /c perl6 program.pl6
on the desktop and dragging it to the task bar, did not
work either
"Copy to the taskbar". Not sure what you mean. Are you trying to pin a
program to the Windows taskbar? If so, there are restrictions on
filetypes supported for pinning. You can pin shortcuts (that point to
.bat file) to the Windows taskbar. You cannot pin .bat files to the
Windows taskbar.

You can always use or add toolbars to the Windows taskbar. I don't like
pinning and instead use shortcuts in toolbars: QuickLaunch toolbar
(which I had to create since Win7 didn't include an install-time one),
toolbar for web browsers, toolbar for e-mail and other communications, a
utility toolbar, and the addressbar toolbar. I can add shortcuts to
.bat files in any toolbar in the Windows taskbar.

While you can run a .bat file pointed to by a shortcut (.lnk file), you
can also specify commands to run in the shortcut, and you can even
specify multiple commands. You can pin shortcuts to the Window taskbar
(or put them into toolbars in the Windows taskbar).

Create a shortcut on the desktop that runs:

cmd.exe /c "perl6 program.pl6"

If perl6.exe is not in the PATH environment variable (already defined
for use in the new command shell), you will either need to include a
path to it in the command string or specify the target folder ad the
default one in which to start the command shell. You may also have to
specify the path to the .pl6 file. Depends on how the Perl interpreter
can locate its script files. Notice that I enclosed the *command* spec
of cmd.exe within double-quotes. You need to tell cmd.exe what is the
command -- and you have spaces in your command argument. Run "cmd /?"
in an existing command shell and notice what is its syntax. All it
shows is "string" as the command for the shell to run. Think about how
to parse the arguments. You want "perl6 program.pl6" to specify the ONE
argument for "string" that cmd.exe will run. That alone might be your
problem.

While most users only run one command per shortcut, it is possible to
run multiple commands. Delimit each command with & (ampersand) to make
execution non-conditional (every command gets executed regardless what
happened for any one command) and && (double ampersand) to run the
commands conditionally (the next command runs only if the return status
was zero/OK from the prior command). For example, you could run:

dir c:\ /s > filelist.txt && notepad.exe filelist.txt

This does a directory listing, dumps stdout into a file, and then loads
that file into Notepad. There's no point in loading Notepad unless the
prior dir command returned an okay status (errorlevel = 0). In your
case, you only showed running a single command. I just mentioned the
ampersands for information should you have a short set of commands that
you could execute just by using a shortcut instead of creating a .bat
file that the shortcut calls.
2018-05-05 04:13:26 UTC
Post by T
Windows 7 Pro, SP1, 32 bit
I created a Perl6 program for a customer. I created a shortcut
to it on the desktop. But Windows won't allow me to to copy
it to the task bar as perl6 is a batch file.
Looking at google, the trick of creating
cmd /c perl6 program.pl6
on the desktop and dragging it to the task bar, did not
work either
"Copy to the taskbar".
Pin to the task bar
Post by VanguardLH
Not sure what you mean. Are you trying to pin a
program to the Windows taskbar? If so, there are restrictions on
filetypes supported for pinning. You can pin shortcuts (that point to
.bat file) to the Windows taskbar. You cannot pin .bat files to the
Windows taskbar.
cmd.exe /c "perl6 program.pl6"
This the favorite on Google: I does not work for me.
Post by VanguardLH
If perl6.exe is not in the PATH environment variable (already defined
for use in the new command shell),
It is.

The exact run sting is:

"%comspec% " /K C:\rakudo\bin\perl6.bat C:\NtUtil\RemoveMargin.pl6 && exit

"%comspec% " /C C:\rakudo\bin\perl6.bat C:\NtUtil\RemoveMargin.pl6

Does not work either.

I got the first one to pin once. Then it refused afterwards.
Java Jive
2018-05-05 10:26:37 UTC
Post by T
"%comspec% " /K C:\rakudo\bin\perl6.bat C:\NtUtil\RemoveMargin.pl6 && exit
"%comspec% " /C C:\rakudo\bin\perl6.bat C:\NtUtil\RemoveMargin.pl6
Does not work either.
I got the first one to pin once.  Then it refused afterwards.
Why is there a space between the end of %ComSpec% and the closing quote?
Is that your problem?

I have two DOS/CMD prompts open at the moment. If I <rt-click> the
TaskBar button of either, I have the option "Pin this program to taskbar"
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-05-05 10:58:49 UTC
Post by Java Jive
I have two DOS/CMD prompts open at the moment. If I <rt-click> the
TaskBar button of either, I have the option "Pin this program to taskbar"
That'll give you a pinned shortcut (is shortcut the right term?) to the
command prompt; I have one, whose Target line is
"%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe" [without the ""]. It wouldn't give you s
shortcut to a batch file. However, maybe you could add the name of a
batch file _to_ its target line. [Maybe needing some "", perhaps even
nested.]

Incidentally, I found I had to right-click _twice_ to get to the Target
line: the first one just brings up a two-line menu, containing "Command
Prompt" and "Unpin this program from task bar". Right-clicking _on_ the
first one brings up another menu that includes Properties, which brings
up the normal properties of a shortcut. Checking with my other "pinned"
shortcuts (?), this seems to be how they all behave - some pop up
something with more than two lines (some of them adding sections
labelled Tasks or Frequent), but those two are always there at the
bottom, and Properties is never there until you do the next right-click
on the upper of the two. (I haven't "played" with pinned "shortcuts"
before; it seems they aren't _that_ different to normal ones though.)

No, I haven't changed my mind - I'm perfectly happy with the one I have, thank
you.
2018-05-05 12:32:13 UTC
"%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe"
and %comspec% are the same thing
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-05-05 15:04:09 UTC
Post by T
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
"%SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe"
and %comspec% are the same thing
Thanks, useful to know. I was just quoting a previous poster.

Being punctual makes people think you have nothing to do.
2018-05-05 12:41:40 UTC
Post by Java Jive
[...]
Well that worked. I did a search on cmd, then pinned it to the task
bar. I rt clicked on the taskbar icon, then rt clicked again on
Command Prompt, selected Properties, and altered the shortcut.

The only thing I can't get it to do now is use the icon I
specified.

Thank you!
2018-05-05 12:59:21 UTC
Post by Java Jive
[...]
Thank you all for the help!

Okay, here is what I got so far.

1) desktop
2) create shortcut: %comspec%
Do not rename the shortcut or pinning to the taskbar will fail
3) change the new shortcuts icon
4) pin to the taskbar
5) Right Clink on the taskbar icon
on the pop up, right click again on Properties
6) add after %comspec% what you need on the command line. For example:
"%comspec%" /C C:\rakudo\bin\perl6.bat C:\NtUtil\RemoveMargin.pl6

The only thing missing is the icon's name, which I haven't figured
out how to change yet
Char Jackson
2018-05-05 17:25:31 UTC
On Sat, 5 May 2018 11:58:49 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by Java Jive
[...]
Your newness to Win 7 is showing. :-) The second level of right-click
that applies to pinned taskbar items also applies to all running taskbar
items, pinned or not. It's a behavior change from how XP did it and is
something you just get used to after a while.
2018-05-06 05:10:44 UTC
[...]
I see that you are right. Which prompted me to wonder: if I change the
properties (e. g. Target: line) of something that is _running_, i. e. a
normal taskbar "bar" or "button", what am I changing the properties
_of_? Does the OS remember how something was started? A brief check, of
something I have both a start (sub)menu shortcut to and a desktop
shortcut for, but which I _don't_ have pinned, suggests it does; I added
something to the target line of the running button/bar, then closed the
window, and the addition had been made to the properties of the start
menu shortcut (which is what I'd used to start it) but not the desktop
shortcut. And what happens if you have multiple instances of something
open (multiple taskbar buttons/bars), and change the properties of one?
Another brief test (using Notepad+) implies it changes the properties of
all the running instances. Then, what if the button/bar is the result of
starting something from Start|Run - changing _that_'s properties is
changing the properties of what? All very curious!

And if you kill Judi Dench, you can't go back home. - Bill Nighy (on learning
to ride a motorbike [on which she would be side-saddle] for "The Best Exotic
Marigold Hotel"), quoted in Radio Times 18-24 February 2012.
2018-05-05 12:31:22 UTC
Post by Java Jive
Post by T
"%comspec% " /K C:\rakudo\bin\perl6.bat C:\NtUtil\RemoveMargin.pl6 && exit
"%comspec% " /C C:\rakudo\bin\perl6.bat C:\NtUtil\RemoveMargin.pl6
Does not work either.
I got the first one to pin once.  Then it refused afterwards.
Why is there a space between the end of %ComSpec% and the closing quote?
 Is that your problem?
Doesn't effect it
Post by Java Jive
I have two DOS/CMD prompts open at the moment.  If I <rt-click> the
TaskBar button of either, I have the option "Pin this program to taskbar"
I can do the same. I get blocked after I add anything to the
cmd.exe run line
Java Jive
2018-05-05 14:45:35 UTC
Post by Java Jive
I have two DOS/CMD prompts open at the moment.  If I <rt-click> the
TaskBar button of either, I have the option "Pin this program to taskbar"
I can do the same.  I get blocked after I add anything to the
cmd.exe run line
One of my DOS Prompts already had stuff after the CMD to launch a *.BAT
file to initialise the environment, yet it still pins to the TaskBar,
and from there launches the DOS Prompt and initialises it correctly.
It really hates you renaming the icon
VanguardLH
2018-05-05 17:44:37 UTC
Post by T
Post by VanguardLH
Post by T
Windows 7 Pro, SP1, 32 bit
I created a Perl6 program for a customer. I created a shortcut
to it on the desktop. But Windows won't allow me to to copy
it to the task bar as perl6 is a batch file.
Looking at google, the trick of creating
cmd /c perl6 program.pl6
on the desktop and dragging it to the task bar, did not
work either
cmd.exe /c "perl6 program.pl6"
This the favorite on Google: I does not work for me.
I tried before posting before and just again. Works for me. I
right-click on the desktop, create a new shortcut, specify its Target
as:

cmd.exe /c "perl6 program.pl6"

(with the double-quotes), and name the shortcut. I don't have Perl
installed but shortcut creation doesn't check the program exists.

Now I have a shortcut on my desktop. I right-click on the shortcut
where is shown the option to "Pin to Taskbar". Alternatively I can drag
the shortcut to the taskbar whereupon a popup appears saying "Pin to
Taskbar".

After creating the shortcut on the desktop, is the "Pin to Taskbar"
context menu entry missing when you right-click on it? What happens
when you drag the shortcut to the taskbar?

As long as you can define a working shortcut, you should be able to pin
the shortcut to the taskbar. After creating the shortcut (and before
trying to pin it), does it work when you double-click on it?
2018-05-05 23:04:14 UTC
Post by T
Post by VanguardLH
Post by T
[...]
See me 5:59 post, where I give steps to do this.

You can't rename the icon.

Thank you for the help!

-T
VanguardLH
2018-05-06 03:52:06 UTC
Post by T
Post by VanguardLH
As long as you can define a working shortcut, you should be able to pin
the shortcut to the taskbar.
See me 5:59 post, where I give steps to do this.
You can't rename the icon.
Rename the icon? Or rename the shortcut name? Shortcuts are .lnk file
so they can take on the same characters as can be used in a filename.

I can rename the shortcut. I created one with your command string (all
of it but with the program and its argument enclosed in double-quotes)
and called the shortcut "test". On the desktop, I selected the shortcut
(single-click) and renamed it to "newtest". Right-clicking on the
renamed shortcut still showed the "Pin to Taskbar" context menu entry,
and dragging the renamed shortcut to the taskbar also worked to pin to
the taskbar. I don't see how the name of the shortcut matters -- other
than the shortcut's name shows up in the popup description when hovering
over the pinned shortcut (so name the shortcut something memorable
before pinning).

If "renaming the icon" means you specified a different icon for the
shortcut, I did that, too. After creating the shortcut with the full
command string, renaming the shortcut, and changing the shortcut's
properties to pick a different icon (I used shell32.dll to find some),
it still would pin the taskbar.

Don't know what weird software config you have that interferes with
creating a shortcut, renaming it, and then pinning it. Also, I did not
have to create a shortcut with just "cmd.exe". I had the shortcut
specify the full command string.

Items pinned to the Windows taskbar will show up under the following
folder:

%appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\

The shortcut in that folder will be named <chosenName>.lnk (shortcuts
are .lnk files). If you open that folder in Windows Explorer, can you
successfully create a shortcut there with whatever command string you
want?

Which Windows theme are you using? I'm using an Aero theme (and not the
basic one). While pinning to the Start menu was available back in
Windows XP, pinning to the taskbar was a new feature introduced in
Windows 7. Tis possible it is an Aero feature, or more easily
accomplished when using the full Aero theme.

Features new to Windows 7
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_7#Pinned_applications

If you are using the full Aero theme, perhaps some tweak or background
process is interferring with easy pinning of shortcuts. You cannot test
by booting into Windows's safe mode since, I believe, the the effects of
the Aero theme are disabled in safe mode.

Perhaps someone decided to disable an advanced feature, like DWM
(Desktop Window Manager). This is for the desktop composition feature.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa969540(v=vs.85).aspx

To check, go to:
- Run "control.exe sysdm.cpl".
- Advanced tab.
- Performance "Settings" button.

Is "desktop composition" enabled or disabled? When you look at services
(run services.msc), what is the startup state of the "Desktop Window
Manager Session Manager"? It should be Automatic.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-05-06 05:17:17 UTC
In message <***@v.nguard.lh>, VanguardLH <***@nguard.LH>
writes:
Which Windows theme are you using? I'm using an Aero theme (and not the
basic one). While pinning to the Start menu was available back in
Windows XP, pinning to the taskbar was a new feature introduced in
Windows 7. Tis possible it is an Aero feature, or more easily
accomplished when using the full Aero theme.
[]
Pinning to taskbar isn't a function of Aero - I have a non-Aero theme (I
quite liked Aero - I know it's a bit of a resource hog, but this machine
has the capacity - but I found it interfered with my colour choices: I
like my tooltips [and other things that share their colour] as yellow on
brown, and Aero interfered with that), and I can still pin no problem.

chicagofan
2018-05-06 12:29:45 UTC
Which Windows theme are you using? I'm using an Aero theme (and not the
basic one). While pinning to the Start menu was available back in
Windows XP, pinning to the taskbar was a new feature introduced in
Windows 7. Tis possible it is an Aero feature, or more easily
accomplished when using the full Aero theme.
[]
Pinning to taskbar isn't a function of Aero - I have a non-Aero theme
(I quite liked Aero - I know it's a bit of a resource hog, but this
machine has the capacity - but I found it interfered with my colour
choices: I like my tooltips [and other things that share their colour]
as yellow on brown, and Aero interfered with that), and I can still
pin no problem.
Color choice would be a problem for me too. My choice is yellow on
burgundy [which matches my toolbar background]. :)
bj
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-05-06 13:02:36 UTC
Post by chicagofan
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Pinning to taskbar isn't a function of Aero - I have a non-Aero theme
(I quite liked Aero - I know it's a bit of a resource hog, but this
machine has the capacity - but I found it interfered with my colour
choices: I like my tooltips [and other things that share their colour]
as yellow on brown, and Aero interfered with that), and I can still
pin no problem.
Color choice would be a problem for me too. My choice is yellow on
burgundy [which matches my toolbar background]. :)
bj
Do you find some app.s use the tooltip background colour for their own
purposes, but don't pick up the tooltip foreground colour - which means,
if you have a dark background choice, they're almost illegible (e. g.
black on brown)?

I'm the oldest woman on primetime not baking cakes.
- Anne Robinson, RT 2015/8/15-21
chicagofan
2018-05-08 12:49:00 UTC
Post by chicagofan
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Pinning to taskbar isn't a function of Aero - I have a non-Aero
theme (I quite liked Aero - I know it's a bit of a resource hog, but
this machine has the capacity - but I found it interfered with my
colour choices: I like my tooltips [and other things that share
their colour] as yellow on brown, and Aero interfered with that),
and I can still pin no problem.
Color choice would be a problem for me too. My choice is yellow on
burgundy [which matches my toolbar background]. :)
bj
Do you find some app.s use the tooltip background colour for their own
purposes, but don't pick up the tooltip foreground colour - which
means, if you have a dark background choice, they're almost illegible
(e. g. black on brown)?
Haven't noticed that, but it's probably because I don't use a lot of
different apps. [Old fogey here.] :)
bj

2018-05-07 04:01:01 UTC
Rename the icon? Or rename the shortcut name?
I use the term "Icon" and "Shortcut" interchangeably.
Sorry for the confusion.