Diagnostic Policy Servic
Add Reply
G Ross
2018-07-09 00:02:58 UTC
Trying to connect with another computer on my home network. Has not
been connected for several months. The error message reads
"Diagnostic Policy Service is not running"

I cannot find a service with that name. During a fit of temporary
insanity I may have turned the service or services off. Any Ideas?
G Ross
Monty
2018-07-09 00:16:53 UTC
Post by G Ross
Trying to connect with another computer on my home network. Has not
been connected for several months. The error message reads
"Diagnostic Policy Service is not running"
I cannot find a service with that name. During a fit of temporary
insanity I may have turned the service or services off. Any Ideas?
Have you tried a Google search for:

diagnostic policy service windows 7 not running
πŸ˜‰ Good Guy πŸ˜‰
2018-07-09 00:17:33 UTC
Post by G Ross
Trying to connect with another computer on my home network. Has not
been connected for several months. The error message reads
"Diagnostic Policy Service is not running"
I cannot find a service with that name. During a fit of temporary
insanity I may have turned the service or services off. Any Ideas?
net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice
net localgroup Administrators /add localservice
exit
Press enter after each line and then RESTART the Computer.

Good luck.
Post by G Ross
Windows Defender software.
//https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/comprehensive-security/
--
With over 950 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
πŸ˜‰ Good Guy πŸ˜‰
2018-07-09 00:26:08 UTC
Post by G Ross
Trying to connect with another computer on my home network. Has not
been connected for several months. The error message reads
"Diagnostic Policy Service is not running"
I cannot find a service with that name. During a fit of temporary
insanity I may have turned the service or services off. Any Ideas?
This is the Video to go with my previous post:

Good luck.
Bob_S
2018-07-09 00:36:51 UTC
Trying to connect with another computer on my home network. Has not been
connected for several months. The error message reads "Diagnostic Policy
Service is not running"
I cannot find a service with that name. During a fit of temporary insanity
I may have turned the service or services off. Any Ideas?
You stated that you cannot find the service. Just to be sure, type
services.msc in the search window and select it in the pop-up menu.

The Diagnostic Policy Service has no dependencies and in order to delete a
service you must use an Administrator Command Prompt or (some other app) to
remove a service. Do you recall doing that?

Try the solutions on this link:
https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/diagnostics-policy-service-not-running-solved/
Bob S.
G Ross
2018-07-09 10:28:38 UTC
Post by Bob_S
Trying to connect with another computer on my home network. Has not been
connected for several months. The error message reads "Diagnostic Policy
Service is not running"
I cannot find a service with that name. During a fit of temporary insanity
I may have turned the service or services off. Any Ideas?
You stated that you cannot find the service. Just to be sure, type
services.msc in the search window and select it in the pop-up menu.
The Diagnostic Policy Service has no dependencies and in order to delete a
service you must use an Administrator Command Prompt or (some other app) to
remove a service. Do you recall doing that?
https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/diagnostics-policy-service-not-running-solved/
No, I haven't deleted it, and found it the way you and some others
mentioned. However it still gives that message and I can't connect
with other machines. Thank you all for the help.
G Ross
Paul
2018-07-09 11:16:08 UTC
Post by G Ross
Post by Bob_S
[...]
Are you getting an error 5 ?

(Which is a permissions error, like what happens when a job needs
Administrator, but it didn't get elevated properly.)

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7/diagnostic-policy-service-could-not-start-on-local/aa2d2042-6b5a-412f-b278-35af8a50c5c1

Administrator command prompt:

net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice
net localgroup Administrators /add localservice
exit

restart your computer

The suggestions there, are about the same as the drivereasy ones.

And if you don't like the idea of "/add",
you could check the syntax and see if "query"
is an option. And query what is already there.

One poster in that thread, reported that a certain update
screwed that up.

2018-07-09 21:00:29 UTC
Post by G Ross
Trying to connect with another computer on my home network. Has not
been connected for several months. The error message reads
"Diagnostic Policy Service is not running"
I cannot find a service with that name. During a fit of temporary
insanity I may have turned the service or services off. Any Ideas?
That service exists when I use services.msc on Windows 7 Home x64. I
wouldn't think this is an edition-specific service; i.e., it should be
present in each edition of Windows 7. Where did you look to find the
service? Turning off a service or disabling it does not remove it.
VanguardLH
2018-07-09 21:10:21 UTC
Post by G Ross
Trying to connect with another computer on my home network. Has not
been connected for several months. The error message reads
"Diagnostic Policy Service is not running"
I cannot find a service with that name. During a fit of temporary
insanity I may have turned the service or services off. Any Ideas?
That service exists when I use services.msc on Windows 7 Home x64. I
wouldn't think this is an edition-specific service; i.e., it should be
present in each edition of Windows 7. Where did you look to find the
service? Turning off a service or disabling it does not remove it.
That service is used for problem detection, troubleshooting, and
resolution for Windows components. While in services.msc, what happened
when you manually started that service? Did it stay running? Did it
refuse to start? To what startup type is that service configured? It
should be Automatic (starts on Windows load). Under the Log On tab,
what Windows account is specified under which that service gets loaded?
Is the "Local Service" account?

Did you look in Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) to check there are no
yellow exclamated devices, especially any network devices?

Try the following troubleshooting:
https://www.trickyways.com/2015/06/fix-diagnostics-policy-service-not-running/
G Ross
2018-07-09 23:29:04 UTC
Post by G Ross
[...]
Thanks to this group, I found it under services.msc. Clicked on it
and it did not start as far as I could tell. After trying multiple
times with no connection, I let them rest a few hours and tried again
and connected immediately.
Sounds like my old way of fixing mechanical things--"Tighten what is
loose and loosen what is tight". Anyway, IT REPAIRED ITSELF. I just
installed a networked printer over the weekend and that may have had
something to do with the network.
I have been playing with computers since 1982 and am still slowly
learning. I completely forgot to DAGS, but it did not seem to help.
At 82 years old I need a little hand-holding and memory refreshment.
Thanks to all who helped.
G Ross
VanguardLH
2018-07-10 01:53:13 UTC
Post by G Ross
Post by G Ross
[...]
If you attempt to start a service but it doesn't start or immediately
crashes, look in Event Viewer (eventvwr.msc) at the time you tried to
start the service for an error event.