Dell Optiplex 280 Install issue
pjp
2017-06-15 05:44:48 UTC
I have an old Optiplex 280 laying about uses a P4 with 3Gb ram in it and
a large enough hard disk plus optical drive reads disks fine. It's
running XP.

I tried to install Win7 on it, pc rebooted part way thru install before
anything but opeing screen. Not a nice expected boot but hardware fault
type reboot. If left alone it rebooted back into XP without any sign the
install had done anything, e.g. no unexpected folders etc. left hanging
around.

I've tried this now with 3 different Win7 disks, 2 legit one
questionable (:)) and always the same thing.

Any helpfull ideas anyone.
Paul
2017-06-15 06:49:41 UTC
Post by pjp
I have an old Optiplex 280 laying about uses a P4 with 3Gb ram in it and
a large enough hard disk plus optical drive reads disks fine. It's
running XP.
I tried to install Win7 on it, pc rebooted part way thru install before
anything but opeing screen. Not a nice expected boot but hardware fault
type reboot. If left alone it rebooted back into XP without any sign the
install had done anything, e.g. no unexpected folders etc. left hanging
around.
I've tried this now with 3 different Win7 disks, 2 legit one
questionable (:)) and always the same thing.
Any helpfull ideas anyone.
If you have the Win7 license key handy, you can download media
(if Win7 is "retail"). If you use WinXP as the host for the
download, chances are this web page will end up giving a
direct download link, rather than doing it with MediaCreationTool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows7

*******

If not, there is the Heidoc URL generator, which can trick
the Microsoft server into providing media. The resulting
download file comes from Microsoft.

The Microsoft end must have changed at some point, causing
the developer here to have to re-do parts of the tool. And
it's possible the Office 2007 has just been removed from
Techbench, and that's why it doesn't work.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

The URL that the Heidoc thing generates, is created by abusing
some TechBench webpage, using Internet Explorer and the EXE that
Heidoc provides. And once the server has a folder created on it
with the Win7 media, you have 24 hours before the folder is
deleted again, to complete the download. You copy the URL out
of the Heidoc tool, and paste it into the browser of your choice
(as the operation is a simple download at that point).

*******

I presume the machine is memory tested, Prime95 tested, and not
found wanting ? Are there any "bad caps" in the machine ? There's
really no reason for an install to trigger something, so that leaves
some incompatibility of another type as the root cause. Win7 doesn't
have a USB3 driver, but that's not it. The machine is probably too
old to be using UEFI. So that's not it. And I don't think Win7 needs
SSE2 (and the P4 might have that anyway).

Is that machine worth "wasting" a Win7 license ?

Paul
pjp
2017-06-15 15:29:16 UTC
Post by pjp
[...]
I can't ID any hardware issues would make pc reboot unexpectedly during
install. It certainly runs XP fine all the time without issue, ram seems
good, hard disk is fine, video works as expected. Only "odd thing" would
be TV-Out enabled and actively used on the ATI add on card.

I just don't have any ideas what else I can try when 3 different dvds
all cause the same problem. AND I've used least one of those DVD's a
number of other times now without issue.
Paul
2017-06-15 16:16:27 UTC
Post by pjp
Post by Paul
Post by pjp
[...]
Does the machine have any dependency on something on the
main hard drive ? There have been machines in the past,
that they needed something on the hard drive to boot.

Have you tested any alternative OSes ? Like a Linux LiveCD ?
Or a Linux USB key (if the machine boots from USB) ?

If you want to move the Win7 DVD to a USB key, you can use this.

*******

Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool (extracts from ISO9660 file and copies files to USB stick):

The first link is the README, the second link the download.

http://web.archive.org/web/20120102232642/http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

http://web.archive.org/web/20111005233104/http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/framework/w7udt/1.0/en-us/Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe

Note that, the tool extracts a copy of bootsect.exe from the
ISO itself. If you're on a 32 bit machine, and you're processing
a 64-bit ISO file, the bootsect.exe extracted from the
64-bit ISO, won't run on the 32 bit machine. To fix that, I
take a bootsect.exe from a 32 bit OS (Vista or later), and
put that in the folder with the EXE file of the program.
When the program notices a bootsect.exe is next to it,
it uses that one instead. If the technician computer
uses a 64 bit OS, then there won't be a problem like that.
When I use that tool on my WinXP 32 bit setup, that's when I
need a 32 bit bootsect.exe in the install folder of the program.

I typically use my 8GB key with that program.