Does a list of the 100 mostly common email domains exist?
Add Reply
RyuseiSaito
2017-05-25 16:06:55 UTC
Is there a list of the 100 mostly common email domains that exist?

I'm looking for a list of something like these common email domains.
@aol.com
@att.net
@comcast.net
@gmail.com
@mailinator.com
@outlook.com
@runbox.com
@yahoo.co
etcetera

I search but a simple list of the most common email not easily finded!
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=example+email+address+list
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sample+email+address+syntax
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=common+email+addresses
etcetera

Off your hand do you know of a list of common used email domains?

---
Wildman
2017-05-25 17:39:12 UTC
Post by RyuseiSaito
Is there a list of the 100 mostly common email domains that exist?
I'm looking for a list of something like these common email domains.
@aol.com
@att.net
@comcast.net
@gmail.com
@mailinator.com
@outlook.com
@runbox.com
@yahoo.co
etcetera
I search but a simple list of the most common email not easily finded!
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=example+email+address+list
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sample+email+address+syntax
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=common+email+addresses
etcetera
Off your hand do you know of a list of common used email domains?
This search term...

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=common+email+domains&t=hd&ia=web

Would have returned this...

https://gist.github.com/tbrianjones/5992856
--
<Wildman> GNU/Linux user #557453
The cow died so I don't need your bull!
Lewis
2017-05-26 01:57:14 UTC
Post by Wildman
Post by RyuseiSaito
[...]
That is not a list of the most common email domains. It's also more than
3500.
Sarah, age 18, says "man, once you go Crayola you can't go back."
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-05-26 06:40:05 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Wildman
Post by RyuseiSaito
Is there a list of the 100 mostly common email domains that exist?
I'm looking for a list of something like these common email domains.
@aol.com
@att.net
@comcast.net
[]
Post by Lewis
Post by Wildman
Post by RyuseiSaito
Off your hand do you know of a list of common used email domains?
Why are you looking for such a list - mere curiosity, or ... ?
[]
Post by Lewis
Post by Wildman
https://gist.github.com/tbrianjones/5992856
That is not a list of the most common email domains. It's also more than
3500.
Indeed, with no hint of being sorted into any sort of order other than
alphanumeric.

Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of
them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for
science intact. - Carl Sagan (interview w. Psychology Today published '96-1-1)
Shadow
2017-05-26 20:49:32 UTC
Post by Wildman
Post by RyuseiSaito
[...]
Lots of them obsolete. At least two on the list have been
bought up (and absorbed) by Google.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Lewis
2017-05-26 01:54:18 UTC
Post by RyuseiSaito
Is there a list of the 100 mostly common email domains that exist?
I'm looking for a list of something like these common email domains.
@aol.com
@att.net
@comcast.net
I doubt any of those are in the top 100.
Post by RyuseiSaito
@mailinator.com
@runbox.com
@yahoo.co
Or those.
Post by RyuseiSaito
I search but a simple list of the most common email not easily finded!
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=example+email+address+list
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sample+email+address+syntax
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=common+email+addresses
Addresses is the wrong search word. "Most common email domains" brought up:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/commonly-used-email-addresses

As the first hit. But I didn't load the page because it wanted me to
disable my adblocker and I don't do that.
Post by RyuseiSaito
Off your hand do you know of a list of common used email domains?
Last I looked gmail was about 30%, "other" was about 30%, and the other
40% was divided up among a couple dozen things like outlook, hotmail,
icloud, farcebook, and others.

Yahoo and AOL have lost a lot over just the last year.

The list will depend a lot on where you are and what mail you receive,
of course.
Post by RyuseiSaito
---
This is not an email and turn off the advertising on your posts, no one
cares.
--
Can't seem to face up to the facts
Tense and nervous and I can't relax
Don't touch me I'm a real live wire
Mayayana
2017-05-26 02:41:30 UTC
"Lewis" <***@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote

| http://www.thewindowsclub.com/commonly-used-email-addresses
|
| As the first hit. But I didn't load the page because it wanted me to
| disable my adblocker and I don't do that.

It works fine for me. I just block script altogether.
But I don't believe what it says. Outlook.com #1. I
don't know anyone with outlook.com. It's possible that
a lot of people have been assigned an outlook.com
address who use MS Office, Visual Studio, or maybe
even Windows 10. That's the kind of thing Microsoft
would pull. Just as anyone who buys an Android phone
gets a gmail address. That doesn't mean they use it,
or even that they know what it is. I bought a new truck
last year and the salesman set up a gmail address
for me because he didn't know what mine was! Good
luck for me. Nissan is sending their spam to that address
so I don't have to see it. I have no idea what it even
is. But it's counted as a gmail account.

That list is also only freebie addresses. #2 and #3 are
gmail and yahoo. So far, so good. #4 is inbox.com. I
used to have an inbox account. They discontinued the
free version. So it's definitely not #4. #5 is icloud. Again,
anyone with a Mac or iPhone probably gets saddled with
an icloud account. I don't know anyone who uses
that service.

I'm not sure it's realistic to figure this out. In my
experience, gmail is by far the most popular. Most
people no longer understand how to set up their ISP
email. Over the years I've watched people I know
move from things like charter or comcast to gmail.
Always gmail. But it's a bit like asking what's the
most common street name. The question is not
relevant in any way that I can think of, so there's
no reason for anyone to do a survey. And how would
someone do such a survey? There's no official
place where one needs to register email services,
and every owned domain is potentially an email
domain.
Molly Mockford
2017-05-26 05:05:27 UTC
The question is not relevant in any way that I can think of, so there's
no reason for anyone to do a survey. And how would someone do such a
survey?
I'm more interested in *why* - and I fear that the only logical answer I
can come up with is to program a spambot to run dictionary attacks
against all the most-used domains. So my answer to the OP would be
"spammers will know".
--
Molly Mockford
Nature loves variety. Unfortunately, society hates it. (Milton Diamond Ph.D.)
(My Reply-To address *is* valid, though may not remain so for ever.)
Lewis
2017-05-26 16:04:43 UTC
Post by Molly Mockford
The question is not relevant in any way that I can think of, so there's
no reason for anyone to do a survey. And how would someone do such a
survey?
I'm more interested in *why* - and I fear that the only logical answer I
can come up with is to program a spambot to run dictionary attacks
against all the most-used domains. So my answer to the OP would be
"spammers will know".
It could be useful for a mailserver. Long ago I used to whitelist yahoo
from certain tests because their servers were broken (and are still
broken) and too many people used yahoo.

But not long after that I blacklisted Yahoo for their refusal to deal
with abuse from their mailservers ... and I'd seen a steep drop int he
number of legitimate mails from Yahoo.
--
And she was lying in the grass
And she could hear the highway breathing
She's making sure she is not dreaming
Shadow
2017-05-26 20:53:18 UTC
On Fri, 26 May 2017 06:05:27 +0100, Molly Mockford
Post by Molly Mockford
The question is not relevant in any way that I can think of, so there's
no reason for anyone to do a survey. And how would someone do such a
survey?
I'm more interested in *why* - and I fear that the only logical answer I
can come up with is to program a spambot to run dictionary attacks
against all the most-used domains. So my answer to the OP would be
"spammers will know".
First thought I had too.
[]'s
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-05-26 06:42:08 UTC
In message <og84fo$8od$***@dont-email.me>, Mayayana
<***@invalid.nospam> writes:
[]
Post by Mayayana
would pull. Just as anyone who buys an Android phone
gets a gmail address. That doesn't mean they use it,
[]
Eh? I have never heard this before; I have one, but remember absolutely
no mention of gmail in the (minimal!) paperwork that came with it.

Mayayana
2017-05-26 13:09:42 UTC
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote

| >would pull. Just as anyone who buys an Android phone
| >gets a gmail address. That doesn't mean they use it,
| []
| Eh? I have never heard this before; I have one, but remember absolutely
| no mention of gmail in the (minimal!) paperwork that came with it.

You know more than I do. I have a Tracphone
which I keep in my glove compartment, turned off,
and treat as a portable phone booth. That's the
extent of my exposure to cellphones.

My ladyfriend has an Android and that's what
happened with her. The salesperson who set up
the phone got her a gmail account. My impression
was that the gmail ID was to be used at the "Google
app store", which is apparently unavoidable with
Android. Is that not true? Or did you perhaps
already have a gmail address, so you didn't notice?

A quick search turns up pages like this:

https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/18208/how-to-disable-or-remove-gmail-account-from-my-android

The implication being that one may not have to
have a gmail account, but that it's required for
use of the "Android Market", and presumably that's
required to get apps? So maybe a gmail account
is set up as a courtesy when people don't already
have one. After all, most people who willingly use
Google products are likely to want the convenience
of interconnected services. And if they don't? Then
I guess it's like Windows 10: "Whaaaa?! You can
certainly have privacy, so long as you don't want
to use the computer's functionality. Whoever told
you otherwise is a tinfoil-hat nutjob!" :)
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-05-26 20:15:06 UTC
Post by Mayayana
| >would pull. Just as anyone who buys an Android phone
| >gets a gmail address. That doesn't mean they use it,
| []
| Eh? I have never heard this before; I have one, but remember absolutely
| no mention of gmail in the (minimal!) paperwork that came with it.
You know more than I do. I have a Tracphone
which I keep in my glove compartment, turned off,
and treat as a portable phone booth. That's the
extent of my exposure to cellphones.
You mean you actually _talk_ to people on your 'phone? How quaint (-:
[Just guessing what others are thinking; this is someone who only
figured out in the last year how to accept a call on my smartphone.
(Swipe right, IIRR.)]
Post by Mayayana
My ladyfriend has an Android and that's what
happened with her. The salesperson who set up
the phone got her a gmail account. My impression
was that the gmail ID was to be used at the "Google
app store", which is apparently unavoidable with
Android. Is that not true? Or did you perhaps
already have a gmail address, so you didn't notice?
I've never had a gmail account. I have downloaded app.s for the 'phone,
but only free ones. But I think they were from the "store"; maybe I was
able to use my (old, now defunct) Demon subdomain emails.

live your dash. ... On your tombstone, there's the date you're born and the
date you die - and in between there's a dash. - a friend quoted by Dustin
Hoffman in Radio Times, 5-11 January 2013
Mayayana
2017-05-26 23:13:15 UTC
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote

| You mean you actually _talk_ to people on your 'phone? How quaint (-:
| [Just guessing what others are thinking; this is someone who only
| figured out in the last year how to accept a call on my smartphone.
| (Swipe right, IIRR.)]

And you do... what? Facebook? GPS? Texting?
Of the many reasons I don't have an expensive
cellphone, one is that I have no use for any of
those functions. No webpage is so important that
I want to read a postage stamp version.

I only have the Tracphone because
access to other phones is diminishing. Phone
booths are disappearing. Many people don't have
landlines. Occasionally I visit people and they tell
me to call them front the front door, claiming their
doorbell doesn't work. So to accomodate the people
who no longer understand life without a cellphone,
I need to have one available.
Now I'm beginning to get people who are irritable
about my not using texting. But I'm not going to
make myself available for wiseacreing and chit chat
at the whim of anyone who knows me. That's going
too far.
tlvp
2017-05-27 00:37:56 UTC
live your dash. ... On your tombstone, there's the date you're born and the
date you die - and in between there's a dash.
Just after reading this I put an end to the mad dash of a clothes moth that
had been buzzing my head and my laptop screen -- five times I had to sort
of clap my hands together around him/her before, on the sixth clap, my
hands flattened that moth. A mad dash, perhaps, but a short one; and no
tombstone -- just down the kitchen-sink drain. Cheers, -- tlvp
harry newton
2017-05-27 04:47:57 UTC
Post by Mayayana
The salesperson who set up
the phone got her a gmail account. My impression
was that the gmail ID was to be used at the "Google
app store", which is apparently unavoidable with
Android. Is that not true? Or did you perhaps
already have a gmail address, so you didn't notice?
When you first set up an Android phone it asks you to create a Gmail
account just like setting up an iOS device asks you to set up an iCloud
account.

If you set up the Gmail account, that's the last time you ever need to
input the password, so you can easily forget that you set this up since
it's only done in the beginning.

You can SKIP the setup of the Gmail account but then you won't be able to
log into Google Play from the phone to download apps for Google Play.

If you already have the APKs for the apps you want, you can usually just
reuse them (for example, if they're on your sd card) by double clicking on
the APK file, which will install the app.

I'm not sure if you can download the APKs from the Google Play store onto a
PC and then just copy them over to the phone as APKs but I'm sure you can
do that for other web sites.

In the end, if you don't need or want Google Play, you don't need to set up
a Google Play account (which is what the Gmail account is). Or, if you are
done downloading your apps from the Google Play store, then you can delete
your Google Play account on the phone.

---
Lewis
2017-05-26 16:06:31 UTC
Post by Mayayana
But it's a bit like asking what's the
most common street name.
In the US it's 2nd street.
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Mayayana
2017-05-26 23:16:26 UTC
"Lewis" <***@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote

| > But it's a bit like asking what's the
| > most common street name.
|
| In the US it's 2nd street.

You actually know that? I find it hard to believe
that 2nd St beats 1st St, or Main St, or Central St,
or Hillside. Certainly not in New England. Our streets
date back too far for that kind of standardization.
Lewis
2017-05-27 16:11:38 UTC
Post by Mayayana
| > But it's a bit like asking what's the
| > most common street name.
|
| In the US it's 2nd street.
You actually know that?
Yes.
Post by Mayayana
I find it hard to believe that 2nd St beats 1st St, or Main St, or
Central St, or Hillside.
Often the street that would be 1st is named Main or Park or Center or
something like that. Hillside isn't even in the top 50.
Post by Mayayana
Certainly not in New England. Our streets
date back too far for that kind of standardization.
I didn't say "in New England" I said "in the US"

The list is

1. 2nd
2. 3rd
3. 1st
4. 4th
5. Park
6. 5th
7. Main
8. 6th
9. Oak
10. 7th
I WILL NOT SCREAM FOR ICE CREAM Bart chalkboard Ep. AABF03
Gene Wirchenko
2017-05-29 19:27:29 UTC
On Sat, 27 May 2017 16:11:38 -0000 (UTC), Lewis
Post by Lewis
Post by Mayayana
| > But it's a bit like asking what's the
| > most common street name.
|
| In the US it's 2nd street.
You actually know that?
Yes.
Post by Mayayana
I find it hard to believe that 2nd St beats 1st St, or Main St, or
Central St, or Hillside.
Often the street that would be 1st is named Main or Park or Center or
something like that. Hillside isn't even in the top 50.
Or it is First for a long time, but then gets renamed after
someone. Famous Local Person Parkway, anyone?
Post by Lewis
Post by Mayayana
Certainly not in New England. Our streets
date back too far for that kind of standardization.
Names can be changed, too.
Post by Lewis
I didn't say "in New England" I said "in the US"
The list is
1. 2nd
2. 3rd
3. 1st
4. 4th
5. Park
6. 5th
7. Main
8. 6th
9. Oak
10. 7th
Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Ken Blake
2017-05-29 22:56:59 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Mayayana
| > But it's a bit like asking what's the
| > most common street name.
|
| In the US it's 2nd street.
You actually know that?
Yes.
Post by Mayayana
I find it hard to believe that 2nd St beats 1st St, or Main St, or
Central St, or Hillside.
Often the street that would be 1st is named Main or Park or Center or
something like that. Hillside isn't even in the top 50.
Or it is First for a long time, but then gets renamed after
someone.
...or something. For example, New York City's Sixth Avenue was renamed
to the Avenue of the Americas many years ago.

But most New Yorkers still call it Sixth Avenue, despite it official
name and the street signs. I can't tell you the number of times I was
on the Avenue of the Americas and someone came up to me and asked
where Sixth Avenue was.
tlvp
2017-05-30 01:31:52 UTC
Post by Ken Blake
...or something. For example, New York City's Sixth Avenue was renamed
to the Avenue of the Americas many years ago.
But most New Yorkers still call it Sixth Avenue
Similarly: 7th Ave. vs. Fashion Ave. / Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard.

Cheers, -- tlvp
Gene Wirchenko
2017-05-30 18:00:12 UTC
[snip]
Post by Ken Blake
Post by Gene Wirchenko
Or it is First for a long time, but then gets renamed after
someone.
...or something. For example, New York City's Sixth Avenue was renamed
to the Avenue of the Americas many years ago.
True.
Post by Ken Blake
But most New Yorkers still call it Sixth Avenue, despite it official
name and the street signs. I can't tell you the number of times I was
on the Avenue of the Americas and someone came up to me and asked
where Sixth Avenue was.
For fun, in Vancouver, BC, Broadway is the name for what would
otherwise be 9th Ave. except that there really is a 9th Ave. in
Vancouver. (At the very west, Broadway takes a curve towards the
north and runs into 8th Ave. Not far past that point 9th Ave. starts;
it runs for five blocks (going by streets on Google Maps). I wonder
what trouble people living on 9th Ave. have.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-05-27 23:03:54 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Mayayana
| > But it's a bit like asking what's the
| > most common street name.
|
| In the US it's 2nd street.
You actually know that?
Yes.
[]
Post by Lewis
I didn't say "in New England" I said "in the US"
The list is
1. 2nd
2. 3rd
3. 1st
4. 4th
5. Park
6. 5th
7. Main
8. 6th
9. Oak
10. 7th
A UK reader is curious: does "Oak" have some special meaning, other than
the variety of tree?

The fifth bestselling detail of all time: the Ford Transit. (RT/C4 2015-5-24.)
Lewis
2017-05-30 01:01:51 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Mayayana
| > But it's a bit like asking what's the
| > most common street name.
|
| In the US it's 2nd street.
You actually know that?
Yes.
[]
Post by Lewis
I didn't say "in New England" I said "in the US"
The list is
1. 2nd
2. 3rd
3. 1st
4. 4th
5. Park
6. 5th
7. Main
8. 6th
9. Oak
10. 7th
A UK reader is curious: does "Oak" have some special meaning, other than
the variety of tree?
Nope. The next ten most popular street names include Pine, Cedar, Maple,
and Elm.

(An old joke is that the names are chosen for the type of trees that are
cut down to make way for the street).

The top person name is Washington, and it's 17th or 18th.
Silence is golden, duct tape is silver.
Gene Wirchenko
2017-05-30 17:53:38 UTC
On Tue, 30 May 2017 01:01:51 -0000 (UTC), Lewis
[snip]
Post by Lewis
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
A UK reader is curious: does "Oak" have some special meaning, other than
the variety of tree?
Nope. The next ten most popular street names include Pine, Cedar, Maple,
and Elm.
(An old joke is that the names are chosen for the type of trees that are
cut down to make way for the street).
Or the animals that are wiped out.

Penticton, BC has Red Wing Resort named for the red-winged
blackbird that lived there before the wetlands were dewetted.

[snip]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Eli the Bearded
2017-05-30 20:06:54 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Mayayana
| > But it's a bit like asking what's the
| > most common street name.
| In the US it's 2nd street.
You actually know that?
The list is
1. 2nd
2. 3rd
3. 1st
4. 4th
5. Park
6. 5th
7. Main
8. 6th
9. Oak
10. 7th
That looks like the 1993 list. The 2013 list is different.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/whats-the-most-common-street-name-in-america/

(New streets are built, old ones renamed, etc, etc.)

Elijah
------
just like top email providers change over time....

harry newton
2017-05-27 04:36:58 UTC
Post by Mayayana
Just as anyone who buys an Android phone
gets a gmail address. That doesn't mean they use it,
As a practical statement, it is true that everyone on Android "gets" a
Gmail account when they /create/ it during the setup process.

But there's nothing stopping the user from NOT creating it during the setup
process.

There's no requirement on Android to use Google Play, which is the only
reason you need a Google Gmail account.

---
2017-05-27 13:34:38 UTC
"harry newton" <***@is.invalid> wrote

| As a practical statement, it is true that everyone on Android "gets" a
| Gmail account when they /create/ it during the setup process.
|
| But there's nothing stopping the user from NOT creating it during the
setup
| process.
|
| There's no requirement on Android to use Google Play, which is the only
| reason you need a Google Gmail account.

Very clearly explained. (Except that I know
nothing of Google Play. :) Thanks.
harry newton
2017-05-27 16:39:55 UTC
Post by Mayayana
Very clearly explained. (Except that I know
nothing of Google Play. :) Thanks.
Google Play is simple.

Just go to this web page and have a look around & you'll see what it is:
https://play.google.com/store/apps

It's basically a copy of the Apple "App Store" model, where you can
download any app you want, where the only requirement is that you need a
Google Play account (which turns out to just be a Gmail account).

Developers post their apps to Google Play because they get tremendous
exposure that way, but there's nothing stopping devfelopers from posting an
app on any other web site, which means that a Google Play account isn't
mandatory for Android users.

Since (to my knowledge) when you set up any Android phone, one of the
initial setup questions is "what account do you want to use for Google
Play", and since you can't download an app from the Google Play Store
without a Google Play account, almost everyone on Android has a Google Play
account (which, as far as I know, is no different than a Google Gmail
account).

If there is an Android newsgroup, we can ask them for more details like
what's the difference between a Gmail account and a Google Play account.

Otherwise, consider them the same.
Dave Sparks
2017-05-26 07:10:33 UTC
Post by Lewis
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/commonly-used-email-addresses
As the first hit. But I didn't load the page because it wanted me to
disable my adblocker and I don't do that.
I tried to load the page and got:

VIRUS FOUND

You tried to upload/download a file that contains the virus:
winnow.malware.ts.url.1053793.UNOFFICIAL
The Http location is: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/commonly-used-email-
addresses
For more information contact your system administrator

This message generated by C-ICAP service: srv_clamav
Antivirus engine: clamd-0992/23411
Shadow
2017-05-26 20:56:51 UTC
On Fri, 26 May 2017 08:10:33 +0100, Dave Sparks
Post by Dave Sparks
Post by Lewis
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/commonly-used-email-addresses
As the first hit. But I didn't load the page because it wanted me to
disable my adblocker and I don't do that.
VIRUS FOUND
winnow.malware.ts.url.1053793.UNOFFICIAL
The Http location is: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/commonly-used-email-
addresses
<!-- This site is optimized with the Yoast SEO Premium plugin v4.8 -
https://yoast.com/wordpress/plugins/seo/ -->

Turn off javascript. Allowing your browser to install unknown
plugins is just plain crazy.
[]'s
Stephen
2017-05-28 11:26:35 UTC
On Fri, 26 May 2017 01:06:55 +0900, RyuseiSaito
Post by RyuseiSaito
Is there a list of the 100 mostly common email domains that exist?
I'm looking for a list of something like these common email domains.
@aol.com
@att.net
@comcast.net
@gmail.com
@mailinator.com
@outlook.com
@runbox.com
@yahoo.co
etcetera
I search but a simple list of the most common email not easily finded!
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=example+email+address+list
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sample+email+address+syntax
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=common+email+addresses
etcetera
Off your hand do you know of a list of common used email domains?
---
No one seems to have asked what you mean by "most common"
- most usernames allocated?
- most traffic?
- most active users?

And since this has all been in English - just english speaking ones -
because I suspect there are some Chinese ones you arent looking at....

Stephen Hope ***@xyzworld.com
Replace xyz with ntl to reply