Looking For Macrium Reflect FREE 32-Bit (for XP) Full Installer w/o Extra Junk, Adware, etc.
Add Reply
D***@MadCow.net
2017-06-10 19:55:54 UTC
First place I looked was majorgeeks.com. In the past it was there
(64-Bit anyway) but couldn't find anything except the downloader. Is
that site no longer hosting the full installer of the Free version?

At filepuma.com I found some old versions that were said to be the
32-bit Free version with no Virus, Spyware, Bundle or Adware.

http://www.filepuma.com/download/macrium_reflect_free_32bit_6.3.1745-14341/
( the old version list is on the right side of the page )

I downloaded Version 6.2.1495 from August 11, 2016, at 42.1 MB. I'd
be happy with that but I don't know how/if I can be sure it's clean.
Can anyone verify this is a trustable site?

Any other ideas?

DC
PeterC
2017-06-10 21:06:14 UTC
Post by D***@MadCow.net
First place I looked was majorgeeks.com. In the past it was there
(64-Bit anyway) but couldn't find anything except the downloader. Is
that site no longer hosting the full installer of the Free version?
At filepuma.com I found some old versions that were said to be the
32-bit Free version with no Virus, Spyware, Bundle or Adware.
http://www.filepuma.com/download/macrium_reflect_free_32bit_6.3.1745-14341/
( the old version list is on the right side of the page )
I downloaded Version 6.2.1495 from August 11, 2016, at 42.1 MB. I'd
be happy with that but I don't know how/if I can be sure it's clean.
Can anyone verify this is a trustable site?
Any other ideas?
DC
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Back-Up-and-Recovery/Macrium-Reflect-Free-Edition.shtml

June 8th.
Softpedia seems to be OK - I've been using it for years now.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway
D***@MadCow.net
2017-06-11 18:32:29 UTC
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 22:06:14 +0100, PeterC
Post by PeterC
Post by D***@MadCow.net
[...]
Thanks for Softpedia, Haven't tried that when looking for something,
but I will.

DC
Paul
2017-06-10 21:15:51 UTC
Post by D***@MadCow.net
First place I looked was majorgeeks.com. In the past it was there
(64-Bit anyway) but couldn't find anything except the downloader. Is
that site no longer hosting the full installer of the Free version?
At filepuma.com I found some old versions that were said to be the
32-bit Free version with no Virus, Spyware, Bundle or Adware.
http://www.filepuma.com/download/macrium_reflect_free_32bit_6.3.1745-14341/
( the old version list is on the right side of the page )
I downloaded Version 6.2.1495 from August 11, 2016, at 42.1 MB. I'd
be happy with that but I don't know how/if I can be sure it's clean.
Can anyone verify this is a trustable site?
Any other ideas?
DC
What does the "Home Use" button at the top
of this page give you ?

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

That should be a stub installer. There should be a configuration
menu of sorts there, so you can mix and match installer+WinPEVersion.

The WinPE10 would be equivalent to Windows 10. I assume at some point,
there is a danger a too-modern WinPE isn't going to work with some
really ancient computer. But I've not observed that. And I don't
regularly re-test this stuff either. So if you get new results,
please report back.

WinPE5 and WinPE10 should have USB3 drivers, for fast backup to
external USB3 enclosures. The two earlier WinPE versions may not
have that.

When you actually make the CD, there should be an option
to change the WinPE version. So if you had "second thoughts",
you might be able to use an older version anyway.

You don't have to download any WinPE if you don't want it. For
dialup users, they can download the stub, then download just
the 40MB main portion of the tool. And use that from within
an installed OS.

In addition, you can "carry" the 40MB installer plus the WinPE
download from machine to machine. So if someone already did a
Macrium download, and kept the files, you could get the files
from them. You don't have to start with the Stub each time,
and I regularly reuse file sets I already have, for installations.

The WinPE portion (the largest part of the download), is used to
make the boot CD. You can backup/clone/restore from the CD,
as well as use the "fake" File Explorer window. The CD is
definitely worth making and keeping handy. If you make the
CD on the platform to be backed up, there's even a chance that
File Sharing (SMB) on the CD, will work on your home network.
So you can backup/restore using a drive on a second computer.

Give the official path a try, rather than searching under
rocks for a copy of the software.

*******

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Minimum+System+Requirements

"PC and Windows

In order to run Macrium Reflect, you must have a system
that has the following minimum system requirements:

* At least 512MB RAM (1GB min recommended)
* Windows XP Service Pack 3 or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 or later
* A keyboard and mouse"

HTH,
Paul
AIOEUSER
2017-06-10 23:17:39 UTC
Probably won't fly but.
You are so capable and knowledgeable that if I could I would bring my
Windows 10 Toshiba laptop to you and pay you to fix the stupid thing or
tell me to trash it.

If possible ?
Are you located in the Orange County California area or nearby ?

Problems is that Win 10
keeps pausing.
File Explorer is constantly green baring me such that I have to use
QDir (but QDir sometimes also pauses just not a long and QDir seem to
hang if I try to sort the file list)

This is re-install (laptop came with Win 10 Home).
I only installed a few apps
SeaMonkey
Thunderbird
and a few more that do not seem to hang but do crash.

I have the same exact stuff on a Win 7 PC with none of the Win 10 problems.
Paul
2017-06-11 00:11:41 UTC
Post by AIOEUSER
Probably won't fly but.
You are so capable and knowledgeable that if I could I would bring my
Windows 10 Toshiba laptop to you and pay you to fix the stupid thing or
tell me to trash it.
If possible ?
Are you located in the Orange County California area or nearby ?
Problems is that Win 10
keeps pausing.
File Explorer is constantly green baring me such that I have to use
QDir (but QDir sometimes also pauses just not a long and QDir seem to
hang if I try to sort the file list)
This is re-install (laptop came with Win 10 Home).
I only installed a few apps
SeaMonkey
Thunderbird
and a few more that do not seem to hang but do crash.
I have the same exact stuff on a Win 7 PC with none of the Win 10 problems.
Well, mine pauses too, but I try not to tell anyone :-)

Somehow though, I think the pauses on mine are shorter
than the pauses on yours.

Some of the pauses don't make sense either. They shouldn't
be happening, based on what I know should be going on at
the time.

Sometimes, it's the folder content. Like say movies. Maybe
you could move your movie collection to your D: drive ?
It might try to make thumbnails, based on the content type
detected.

I'm seeing delays that look like TakeOwn is running.

Paul
D***@MadCow.net
2017-06-11 18:29:56 UTC
Post by D***@MadCow.net
First place I looked was majorgeeks.com. In the past it was there
(64-Bit anyway) but couldn't find anything except the downloader. Is
that site no longer hosting the full installer of the Free version?
At filepuma.com I found some old versions that were said to be the
32-bit Free version with no Virus, Spyware, Bundle or Adware.
http://www.filepuma.com/download/macrium_reflect_free_32bit_6.3.1745-14341/
( the old version list is on the right side of the page )
I downloaded Version 6.2.1495 from August 11, 2016, at 42.1 MB. I'd
be happy with that but I don't know how/if I can be sure it's clean.
Can anyone verify this is a trustable site?
Any other ideas?
DC
What does the "Home Use" button at the top
of this page give you ?
It automatically offers ReflectDL.exe with option to save the file.
Post by Paul
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
That should be a stub installer. There should be a configuration
menu of sorts there, so you can mix and match installer+WinPEVersion.
Yes and this is what I either don't remember or didn't use back when I
got a 64-bit version for Win7. But now, this is the right way to do
it.
Post by Paul
The WinPE10 would be equivalent to Windows 10. I assume at some point,
there is a danger a too-modern WinPE isn't going to work with some
really ancient computer. But I've not observed that. And I don't
regularly re-test this stuff either. So if you get new results,
please report back.
I'll be using WinPE3 (pe3x86.zip) so the rescue interface will be like
or similar to what I have for my Win7 PCs.
Post by Paul
WinPE5 and WinPE10 should have USB3 drivers, for fast backup to
external USB3 enclosures. The two earlier WinPE versions may not
have that.
My XP PC doesn't have USB3.
Post by Paul
When you actually make the CD, there should be an option
to change the WinPE version. So if you had "second thoughts",
you might be able to use an older version anyway.
You don't have to download any WinPE if you don't want it. For
dialup users, they can download the stub, then download just
the 40MB main portion of the tool. And use that from within
an installed OS.
In addition, you can "carry" the 40MB installer plus the WinPE
download from machine to machine. So if someone already did a
Macrium download, and kept the files, you could get the files
from them. You don't have to start with the Stub each time,
and I regularly reuse file sets I already have, for installations.
I save them too. Generally I save all program installer files so I
know and have what's needed to reinstall or match on another PC.
Post by Paul
The WinPE portion (the largest part of the download), is used to
make the boot CD. You can backup/clone/restore from the CD,
as well as use the "fake" File Explorer window. The CD is
definitely worth making and keeping handy. If you make the
CD on the platform to be backed up, there's even a chance that
File Sharing (SMB) on the CD, will work on your home network.
So you can backup/restore using a drive on a second computer.
Give the official path a try, rather than searching under
rocks for a copy of the software.
Amen to that!
http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Minimum+System+Requirements
"PC and Windows
In order to run Macrium Reflect, you must have a system
* At least 512MB RAM (1GB min recommended)
* Windows XP Service Pack 3 or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 or later
* A keyboard and mouse"
HTH,
Paul
It helped a lot! Once again you cleared things up for my old tired
mind.

Thanks, Paul.

DC
FredW
2017-06-12 10:35:13 UTC
Post by D***@MadCow.net
First place I looked was majorgeeks.com. In the past it was there
(64-Bit anyway) but couldn't find anything except the downloader. Is
that site no longer hosting the full installer of the Free version?
Nothing wrong with using the downloader.
Lately I use the downloader to download any version I want.

Just take care you do not download too much.
--
Fred W. (NLD)