Virtual Box
Add Reply
SteveGG
2017-05-31 19:13:50 UTC
Running an XP virtual machine to accomodate older programs, that won't
run in later versions of Windows. How do I get files (programs) loaded
to the virtual HD? The virtual machine doesn't seem to have access to
the CD drive (any idea why?) or I'd use that.
Paul
2017-05-31 19:43:10 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Running an XP virtual machine to accomodate older programs, that won't
run in later versions of Windows. How do I get files (programs) loaded
to the virtual HD? The virtual machine doesn't seem to have access to
the CD drive (any idea why?) or I'd use that.
Well, your description almost sounds like you are
using "WinXP Mode" and Windows Virtual PC. The interface
on that is less intuitive than the older VPC2007.

VirtualBox (an Oracle/Sun product from virtualbox.org)
on the other hand, how can you miss the "Settings" dialog ?
It has a much nicer and more obvious interface.

In the storage section there, you can verify whether a virtual CD
drive has been added, or whether the virtual CD drive is mapped
to the physical CD/DVD drive in the computer.

VirtualBox should be "visually obvious". It only runs in rooted mode.
There is a window drawn, which contains the entire WinXP desktop.

Windows Virtual PC uses Terminal Services for communication between
the running instance, and the screen. Windows Virtual PC supports
rooted mode (draws a window holding the whole desktop). It also
supports rootless mode, where when you start Notepad in the
WinXP instance, a Notepad window appears in the Windows 7 desktop.

*******

You did use the words "Virtual box" in your Subject: header,
but my spider-sense tells me you're actually running
Windows Virtual PC and the freebie "WinXP Mode" for W7Pro or greater.
Windows Virtual PC, the GUI is easy to miss, and the fact
you can't find the CD setting, tells me that's what you're missing.

In your Win7 home directory, should be a "Virtual Machines" directory.
If you highlight the "Windows XP Mode" entry, and use Settings,
maybe you'll get to see the traditional setup box ? This picture
shows the user accessing the Settings. His DVD drive is set to E: .

( http://www.pcworld.com/article/204720/network_win7_xp_mode.html )

Paul
SteveGG
2017-05-31 20:08:27 UTC
No, I'm using Oracle Virtual Box. My host system is Windows 7, and the
Virtual machine is XP. Specificall how do I get things on the Virtual
machine ?
Paul
2017-05-31 20:26:38 UTC
Post by SteveGG
No, I'm using Oracle Virtual Box. My host system is Windows 7, and the
Virtual machine is XP. Specificall how do I get things on the Virtual
machine ?
The virtualbox Storage entry, allows adding "Controllers"
and after that, "Drives". You can see they have an optical drive.
The optical drive can be loaded via an ISO9660 file, or,
you can point the entry to the physical drive (like E: );

That picture is from:

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26217_01/E26796/html/qs-create-vm.html

Paul
Big Al
2017-05-31 20:28:07 UTC
Post by SteveGG
No, I'm using Oracle Virtual Box. My host system is Windows 7, and the
Virtual machine is XP. Specificall how do I get things on the Virtual
machine ?
Virtual Box allows you to share folders on the host with the guest.
I've had limited if bad success in getting it to work but it's there.
Also (at least in mine on linux) there is under general->advanced 2
boxes for clipboard and drag and drop.
Using drag and drop you can copy files.

Last but not least.. and I use this more, is to put them on google drive
or such and just access them that way. If you also can get a usb
drive to show up on the guest, you can copy that way too.
SteveGG
2017-05-31 20:52:01 UTC
Very good info. Thanks guys.
2017-05-31 21:29:35 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Running an XP virtual machine to accomodate older programs, that won't
run in later versions of Windows. How do I get files (programs) loaded
to the virtual HD? The virtual machine doesn't seem to have access to
the CD drive (any idea why?) or I'd use that.
Hi Steve,

My memory of virtual box is that there is a configuration for
a shared drive with the host. And my memory was that it
did not work very well, but that was years ago. It
was somewhere in the Guest Utilities, which were
required to get your shared clipboard, again that
was years ago.

I just used file sharing with the host. Share
a directory on the host and use Networking in the
guest to mount it. You may have to access
the host by its IP address.

On my current virtual machine (qemu-kvm), I
just use file sharing. You should be able to
set that up with any virtual machine. Make
sure you configure a network card.

-T
Andrew Rossmann
2017-06-01 12:06:48 UTC
Post by SteveGG
Running an XP virtual machine to accomodate older programs, that won't
run in later versions of Windows. How do I get files (programs) loaded
to the virtual HD? The virtual machine doesn't seem to have access to
the CD drive (any idea why?) or I'd use that.
First, install the VirtualBox drivers in Windows. After starting your
virtual machine, on the window your VM is in, go to "Devices/Insert
Guest Additions Guest CD" and install the drivers. You may need to
reboot the VM.

At the bottom of the VM window is a CD icon. Right-click it and you can
point it at an ISO file you can easily make from any CD. That will let
the VM see a CD. You can also use Devices/Optical Drives from the top
menu.

With the VirtualBox drivers installed in Windows, you can use
Devices/Shared Folder Settings to create virtual network access to
directories on your drive.
law!!
http://home.comcast.net/~andyross