Followup on USB to Ethernet adapter
2017-05-27 21:11:54 UTC
Hi All,

I don't remember which group(s) I asked this question on,
so I am writing to both.

I asked about recommendations for USB to Ethernet adapters for
those laptops that no longer come with Ethernet Ports (Yikes!!),
which makes for a pain-in-the-butt to configure routers.

What worked perfectly for me was

https://www.startech.com/Networking-IO/usb-network-adapters/USB-3-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter-with-USB-Port~USB31000SPTB

I carry the drivers on a flash drive, which I downloaded
from the web.

If you decide to get one of these or similar, also get
you a USB 3.1 to "C" adapter. This is the one I like
as it has a little cable to relieve the (Archimedes)
lever stress. (The same laptop only had two regular USB
and one "C" socket. The adapter came in real handy.)

https://www.tripplite.com/support/U42806NF

Thank you for all the tips and suggestions!

-T
Wolf K
2017-05-28 00:48:53 UTC
Post by T
Hi All,
I don't remember which group(s) I asked this question on,
so I am writing to both. [etc]
Thanks, useful.
--
Best,
Wolf K
"Take my advice. It's almost new, I've hardly ever taken it myself.”
You are most welcome.
Mike Tomlinson
2017-05-29 08:06:29 UTC
Post by T
https://www.startech.com/Networking-IO/usb-network-adapters/USB-3-Gigabit-
Ethernet-Adapter-with-USB-Port~USB31000SPTB
$45! Bloody hell.

Why not get it without the USB-C to USB-A adaptor cable?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201404779344

~$14.

I carry a couple of these with me:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222513713498

Handy for when I'm working on a machine where the built-in network
drivers are missing or broken. Plug adaptor in, 99% of the time the OS
picks it up and installs it and I have access to the internet to fix
whatever is broken.
--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
2017-05-29 21:54:05 UTC
Post by Mike Tomlinson
Post by T
https://www.startech.com/Networking-IO/usb-network-adapters/USB-3-Gigabit-
Ethernet-Adapter-with-USB-Port~USB31000SPTB
$45! Bloody hell.
The cheaper ones have always given me fits. I was looking
for one I could always trust to work on varying systems.
And, I got mine wholesale as I have a resellers permit
(I have to pay use tax). It was definitely not $45.00.
Post by Mike Tomlinson
Why not get it without the USB-C to USB-A adaptor cable
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201404779344
~$14.
Interesting. Have you used your a lot in different system?
And I would need an adapter from C to USB3, but I carry
one of those too.
Post by Mike Tomlinson
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222513713498
Handy for when I'm working on a machine where the built-in network
drivers are missing or broken. Plug adaptor in, 99% of the time the OS
picks it up and installs it and I have access to the internet to fix
whatever is broken.
1+