OT: a new release of Rufus has been posted
2018-06-22 21:13:04 UTC
Hi W7 and W10,

A new release of Rufus has been released. This is
the only SUB burner I have got to work properly
with Windows ISO's

https://rufus.ie/

-T
Paul
2018-06-22 21:25:52 UTC
Post by T
Hi W7 and W10,
A new release of Rufus has been released. This is
the only SUB burner I have got to work properly
with Windows ISO's
https://rufus.ie/
-T
Windows7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool.exe works too.

Vista/W7/W8/W8.1/W10

I've used it a number of times.

2018-06-22 21:44:04 UTC
Post by T
Hi W7 and W10,
A new release of Rufus has been released. This is
the only SUB burner I have got to work properly
with Windows ISO's
https://rufus.ie/
-T
Windows7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool.exe  works too.
Vista/W7/W8/W8.1/W10
I've used it a number of times.
   Paul
That tool gives me a bad time on qemu-kvm and it does not
reformat the USB drives. (My flash drives are typically
formatted to NTFS or Ext4 and get reused a lot.)
Paul
2018-06-22 21:49:12 UTC
Post by T
Post by Paul
Post by T
Hi W7 and W10,
A new release of Rufus has been released. This is
the only SUB burner I have got to work properly
with Windows ISO's
https://rufus.ie/
-T
Windows7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool.exe works too.
Vista/W7/W8/W8.1/W10
I've used it a number of times.
Paul
That tool gives me a bad time on qemu-kvm and it does not
reformat the USB drives. (My flash drives are typically
formatted to NTFS or Ext4 and get reused a lot.)
Have you tried VirtualBox ?

It has USB passthru at the VID:PID level, and re-routes
USB traffic from the host OS.

The stick should be every bit as functional inside
a VirtualBox Guest.

You can generally install more than one hosting
software, but you can't run multiple of them at
the same instant in time (because they use filter
drivers, or will fight over VT resources). The machine
I'm typing on, has two hosting softwares, and things
are fine as long as I only run one of the two.

2018-06-22 22:07:24 UTC
Have you tried VirtualBox ?
Yes. It cost me my largest customer. Never again.
Where I dislike M$, I hate Oracle. Every thing
Oracle touches is a disaster. (SAP is far, far better.)

Most of my issues are with me reformatting my flash
drives and M$'s tool not liking what is on the drives.
And gparted and M$ don't play well in the sand box.
Even if I format back to FAT32 or vfat, M$'s utility
somehow still ruins the flash drive.

Rufus just works. Means my qemu-kvm pass through is
working with at least something.

Gparted FINALLY figured out how to NTFS format and get M$
to recognize it. Saved me a bunch of trouble.
Dave
2018-06-23 14:30:49 UTC
Have you tried VirtualBox ?
Yes. It cost me my largest customer. Never again. Where I dislike M$,
I hate Oracle. Every thing Oracle touches is a disaster. (SAP is far,
far better.)
Most of my issues are with me reformatting my flash drives and M$'s tool
not liking what is on the drives. And gparted and M$ don't play well in
the sand box.
Even if I format back to FAT32 or vfat, M$'s utility somehow still ruins
the flash drive.
Rufus just works. Means my qemu-kvm pass through is working with at
least something.
Gparted FINALLY figured out how to NTFS format and get M$
to recognize it. Saved me a bunch of trouble.
I've found sometimes gparted not to be able delete and format partitions
on a usb drive after drive has been loaded with certain iso downloads.
Windows generally will format, but the free mini partition tool is very
good, wish they had a linux version, but can run it in a windows 7
virtualbox. I'm having good luck with virtualbox and linux mint host.
Paul
2018-06-23 17:44:26 UTC
Post by Dave
Post by Paul
[...]
Be careful with GParted.

It will agree to do things, that are not properly tested.

It actually was able to parse a Macintosh multi-partition
disk. I thought "great, this will be easy". I can't remember
the sequences of changes I made, but it agreed to do them,
applied the changes (one at a time).

And the partition table was "severely ruined".

I ended up writing my own tool in C to do the partition
table operations needed, because as it turns out, the
old Mac partition table is "easy".

The point of me writing this missive, is to remind people
you have to "dial in" Partition Managers. Even commercial
ones are a shambles. Acronis Disk Director for example,
offers to change cluster size on a partition. And your
response should be "wow, that's hard to do, kudos to them".
Well, as it turns out, they *don't* know how to do that
properly. (Several system files ended up having "zero length",
which of course is "death to booting".)

No matter where the code came from, no matter what universe,
you, the owner of the software, need a test plan to protect
your own interests. Very few people writing that code, have
the right approach. PowerQuest Partition Magic for example,
is filled with rules, and it "won't touch" a disk if even
the slightest CHS geometry or alignment detail isn't correct.
But on the other hand, all the operations you expect to
work, *actually* work. Which is more than I can say for the
above two examples.

Never trust anyone with your data. Test... test... test.

Keep backups.

Don't change source volumes (without a backup) if this is
the first time you're opening a new tool.

There was an Easeus tool, that fouled up a simple FAT32
shrink. Failures are everywhere. Not many products seem
to have a QA department. The PowerQuest product had
some GUI shortcomings, which I can forgive because
they didn't ruin any partitions on me.

*******

Sometimes the root cause of your mis-fortune, is the
state of the file system you're working on. At least
on Windows 10, a "vanilla" CHKDSK command isn't sufficient
to remove all file system errors. Do this:

chkdsk /?

and make sure you thoroughly read all the options. For
example, I discovered that some "offline" option to the
command, did a better job than a regular scan and fix.
And it's not like it needed to dismount the partition
in question - the option just seemed to be doing
different things (new code path?).

2018-06-23 20:38:50 UTC
Post by Dave
Post by Paul
[...]
Some times you have to start over. Run a "dd with "if=/dev/zero"
at the flash drive, then you can start fresh.

mick
2018-06-22 22:32:37 UTC
Post by T
Hi W7 and W10,
A new release of Rufus has been released. This is
the only SUB burner I have got to work properly
with Windows ISO's
https://rufus.ie/
-T
Thanks.