How to suppress the "What do you want to do with this DVD" dialog ?
(PeteCresswell)
2017-08-12 14:45:23 UTC
I've tried the obvious - clicking a bunch of checkboxes and saving the
changes, but it keeps popping every time I insert a DVD.

Seems like there has to be a way to drive a stake through it's heart...

Maybe some registry change?
Pete Cresswell
Good Guy
2017-08-12 17:28:09 UTC
Post by (PeteCresswell)
I've tried the obvious - clicking a bunch of checkboxes and saving the
changes, but it keeps popping every time I insert a DVD.
Seems like there has to be a way to drive a stake through it's heart...
Maybe some registry change?
Forget about Registry change and it is time to learn to stop messing
around with Registry entries. Registry is not for such things.

In windows 10 toy need to change in Autoplay Settings and it should be
off and the other two boxes should be "Take No Action" See this picture:

In windows 7 there should be a similar settings and to get there search
for Autoplay in your machine and see what turns out.

Have you started using a legit Microsoft License? I hope so.
--
With over 500 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
tesla sTinker
2017-08-12 18:43:48 UTC
https://i.imgur.com/EMASisa.png <https://i.imgur.com/EMASisa.png>
In windows 7 there should be a similar settings and to get there search
for Autoplay in your machine and see what turns out.
Have you started using a legit Microsoft License? I hope so.
--
With over 500 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
Windows 10 is much more railroading op system than windows 6.1. Stop
lying and calling it windows 7. Just because MS is a liar, does not
mean you yourself have to listen to them. Just as the license menace,
is just more of their pagan game communist game that they play, to
Communism the United States. And they need people to have the 10 to do
it. Only an idiot, would give them what they want. Private Networks
are not traceable. Especially if you are using more than one of them.
(PeteCresswell)
2017-08-12 19:13:56 UTC
Post by Good Guy
Have you started using a legit Microsoft License? I hope so.
Still backordered by B&H Photo.

On my final Re-Arm, but B&H claims I should be a happy camper within a
couple of weeks. Fingers crossed...
Pete Cresswell
(PeteCresswell)
2017-08-12 19:15:22 UTC
Post by Good Guy
In windows 7 there should be a similar settings and to get there search
for Autoplay in your machine and see what turns out.
There are, but the genesis of the post is that they do not seem to
"Take" and the dialog keeps on popping.

I'm thinking maybe the settings are volume-specific and that each DVD is
it's own volume.
Pete Cresswell
VanguardLH
2017-08-12 19:26:42 UTC
Post by (PeteCresswell)
I've tried the obvious - clicking a bunch of checkboxes and saving the
changes, but it keeps popping every time I insert a DVD.
Seems like there has to be a way to drive a stake through it's heart...
Maybe some registry change?
Turn off AutoPlay if you don't want it. That will eliminate the prompt
for all removable media (optical discs, USB flash drives).

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-disable-autoplay-windows

You also just search on "autoplay" (sans quotes) in the Start menu's
search box.
(PeteCresswell)
2017-08-12 20:33:01 UTC
You also just search on "autoplay" (sans quotes) in the Start menu's
search box.
Yeah, that's where I've been a few times: Control Panel | All Control
Panel Items | AutoPlay.

Have "Take no action" specified for each and ever....

But now I am seeing that "Use AutoPlay for all media and devices" = True

Can't specifically recall setting it to False, but just did.....

Fed it a movie DVD, and no dialog popped.... so I guess the secret is to
ignore all the specifics and just make sure that "...all..." checkbox is
not checked.
Pete Cresswell
VanguardLH
2017-08-13 02:15:18 UTC
Post by (PeteCresswell)
Post by VanguardLH
You also just search on "autoplay" (sans quotes) in the Start menu's
search box.
Yeah, that's where I've been a few times: Control Panel | All Control
Panel Items | AutoPlay.
Have "Take no action" specified for each and ever....
But now I am seeing that "Use AutoPlay for all media and devices" = True
Can't specifically recall setting it to False, but just did.....
Fed it a movie DVD, and no dialog popped.... so I guess the secret is to
ignore all the specifics and just make sure that "...all..." checkbox is
not checked.
Video files are not audio files are not movies files are not data files
are not blank discs are not ...

Autoplay is based on content of the media. That's why there are so many
choices in the Autoplay config app. If any types are set to "Choose a
default" then none has been selected and you get the autoplay prompt.

In the autoplay prompt, there is the "Always do this for <filetype>"
option. The problem is that there is no "Never do this for <filetype>"
choice; however, that means no action was selected so you get the
prompt. There is no "Never prompt for <filetype>" option in that
prompt. I don't recall seeing a "Take no action" selection in the
autoplay prompt but then that's not really a "Never take no action"
setting. I think the "Take no action" simply deselect what, if any,
prior action had been remembered for a filetype. Without an action
configured as default, you get prompted.

Microsoft, in their blithe attempt to be clear, meant "Take no action"
to mean "Close the prompt". It literally meant to take no action of the
several offered. This is as bad as options or policies that are
negatively worded. You have to enable the disable to get rid of some
feature or function. "Take no action" means to do so one time. It
really means to close the autoplay dialog. That's why Microsoft removed
it from the autoplay prompt so you only find it in the Autoplay wizard.

If you want autoplay enabled on some removable devices but disabled on
others then you have to delve into the registry, and then you can only
disable/enable based on device type, not on a particular media that you
happen to insert into the removable media device. The problem, even
with Microsoft's own documents, is that autorun and autoplay get
confused as the same thing. As I recall, the registry edits were to
enable/disable autorun. For example:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/967715/how-to-disable-the-autorun-functionality-in-windows

gives the registry edits for disable/enable of autorun, not autoplay.
From what I see there, autoplay are policies. Those are also saved in
the registry (all policies are registry entries) but are not part of the
autorun registry entries.
Steve Hayes
2017-08-13 04:08:16 UTC
Post by (PeteCresswell)
Post by VanguardLH
You also just search on "autoplay" (sans quotes) in the Start menu's
search box.
Yeah, that's where I've been a few times: Control Panel | All Control
Panel Items | AutoPlay.
Have "Take no action" specified for each and ever....
But now I am seeing that "Use AutoPlay for all media and devices" = True
Can't specifically recall setting it to False, but just did.....
Fed it a movie DVD, and no dialog popped.... so I guess the secret is to
ignore all the specifics and just make sure that "...all..." checkbox is
not checked.
I leave it on, even though I never use it, because at least it shows
that the device is there and working and what drive letter it is
using.
--
Steve Hayes
http://www.khanya.org.za/stevesig.htm
http://khanya.wordpress.com
Mayayana
2017-08-12 19:47:59 UTC
"(PeteCresswell)" <***@y.Invalid> wrote

| I've tried the obvious - clicking a bunch of checkboxes and saving the
| changes, but it keeps popping every time I insert a DVD.

If I remember correctly, this worked for me with
USB sticks. Specifically, the NoDriveTypeAutoRun Registry
setting:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:u7EGZA09-jgJ:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/967715/how-to-disable-the-autorun-functionality-in-windows%2B%22support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/967715/how-to-disable-the-autorun-functionality-in-windows%22&lr&hl=en&as_qdr=all&gbv=1&ct=clnk

(Google cache. Doesn't require script.)

I seem to remember there was also a second setting,
but I can't remember now. And I still get irritating
popups telling me the stick is corrupt and should be
scanned. (It's not, and if I do it doesn't help.)
But at least it's just one nonsense message now
and not a flurry.