Chrome browser: how to copy URL of current page without using the mouse?
2018-06-09 15:46:23 UTC
My blind friend has just asked me this, and I wasn't able to answer!

Like most of us, but probably more so in her case, she finds she has to
use more than one browser, as some pages don't work in some browsers.

When I find a page is being awkward, I copy the URL from the current
browser and paste it into another one. Of course, I do this with the
mouse.

However, in Chrome (I currently have "Version 64.0.3282.167 (Official
Build) (32-bit)"), I can't get to the URL bar _without_ using the mouse,
in order to copy the URL.

Anyone know how to? Most software _can_ be navigated (however tediously)
with tab, shift-tab, space, enter, and arrow keys. But I can't see how
to get to the URL bar in Chrome! (Ideally starting from an _arbitrary_
position.) Alt-F (the old "File menu" shortcut) _does_ bring up a menu,
which seems to be the same one as clicking on the settings icon (how did
three dots in a vertical line become the symbol for that? And yes I know
it's widespread).

Abandon hope, all ye who <ENTER> here.
Mayayana
2018-06-09 16:02:58 UTC
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote

| However, in Chrome (I currently have "Version 64.0.3282.167 (Official
| Build) (32-bit)"), I can't get to the URL bar _without_ using the mouse,
| in order to copy the URL.

Several options here to select address bar/location bar
(I don't think anyone official calls it a URL bar), but I
don't know if they're current:

https://superuser.com/questions/464292/whats-the-shortcut-to-select-the-address-bar-in-google-chrome

If you can't tab to it then I wonder if the Googlites
might have deliberately blocked it to stop some kind
of malware accessing the data. Though that seems
farfetched. I suspect it's more likely that it's just a
typical example of Google's "our way or the highway"
philosophy.
I'm surprised your friend is trying to use Chrome. I
thought screenreaders were still IE-oriented.
The Real GLOBALIST
Ctrl + L. Works on IE, Firefox, Opera and Seamonkey. I'm running Win 7 Pro.
Nil

I'll add: Ctrl + K to search.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-06-10 05:53:59 UTC
Post by Nil
Post by The Real GLOBALIST
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
However, in Chrome (I currently have "Version 64.0.3282.167
(Official Build) (32-bit)"), I can't get to the URL bar _without_
using the mouse, in order to copy the URL.
Anyone know how to?
Ctrl + L. Works on IE, Firefox, Opera and Seamonkey. I'm running Win 7 Pro.
There's the answer!
I'll add: Ctrl + K to search.
Thanks both - forwarded! (As for
https://superuser.com/questions/464292/whats-the-shortcut-to-select-the-a
ddress-bar-in-google-chrome, I couldn't forward that - as it uses a
graphic for the keys!)

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they
don't want to hear. - Preface to "Animal Farm"
PeterC
2018-06-09 20:47:34 UTC
Post by The Real GLOBALIST
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
My blind friend has just asked me this, and I wasn't able to answer!
Like most of us, but probably more so in her case, she finds she has to
use more than one browser, as some pages don't work in some browsers.
When I find a page is being awkward, I copy the URL from the current
browser and paste it into another one. Of course, I do this with the mouse.
However, in Chrome (I currently have "Version 64.0.3282.167 (Official
Build) (32-bit)"), I can't get to the URL bar _without_ using the mouse,
in order to copy the URL.
Anyone know how to?
Ctrl + L. Works on IE, Firefox, Opera and Seamonkey. I'm running Win 7 Pro.
In Pale Moon I use F6 (Ctrl+L works as well) as it's one key.
With PM and Fx 60 ESR both open, I've just picked up the site's icon from
the end of the address bar and dragged it onto the icon for Fx on the Task
Bar then dropped it onto Fx when that came to the front and the site opened
- probably near impossible without eyesight, though.

There's an add-on for PM/Fx that will open a page in another browser - Open
With - but I don't know if it could have a key or gesture assigned to it. It
works from the context menu, so I can try a page in Fx or Basilisk.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway
Stan Brown
2018-06-10 00:05:51 UTC
My blind friend has just asked me this, and I wasn't able to answer!
Like most of us, but probably more so in her case, she finds she has to
use more than one browser, as some pages don't work in some browsers.
When I find a page is being awkward, I copy the URL from the current
browser and paste it into another one. Of course, I do this with the
mouse.
However, in Chrome (I currently have "Version 64.0.3282.167 (Official
Build) (32-bit)"), I can't get to the URL bar _without_ using the mouse,
in order to copy the URL.
Many (most?) hotkeys seem to be the same across most browsers. Here
are some this I use fairly often.
Ctrl+L - go to URL bar.
Ctrl+W - close current tab
Ctrl+Shift+T - reopen tab closed in error :-)
Ctrl+F - search for text in current page
F3 - go to next occurrence of searched text in current page
Ctrl+E - search on the Internet via search engine
Ctrl+R (or F5) - reload current tab

BTW, in File Explorer in Windows, F4 gets you to the address bar.
http://BrownMath.com/
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Shikata ga nai...
Nil
2018-06-10 00:11:35 UTC
Post by Stan Brown
Many (most?) hotkeys seem to be the same across most browsers.
Here are some this I use fairly often.
Ctrl+L - go to URL bar.
Ctrl+W - close current tab
Ctrl+Shift+T - reopen tab closed in error :-)
I use that one a lot!
Post by Stan Brown
Ctrl+F - search for text in current page
F3 - go to next occurrence of searched text in current page
Ctrl+E - search on the Internet via search engine
Ctrl+R (or F5) - reload current tab
BTW, in File Explorer in Windows, F4 gets you to the address bar.
Let me add:

Ctrl + T to open a new tab.

and Ctrl + Tab to cycle through open tabs.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-06-10 05:55:15 UTC
Post by Stan Brown
Ctrl+F - search for text in current page
F3 - go to next occurrence of searched text in current page
Ctrl+E - search on the Internet via search engine
Ctrl+R (or F5) - reload current tab
BTW, in File Explorer in Windows, F4 gets you to the address bar.
Ctrl + T to open a new tab.
and Ctrl + Tab to cycle through open tabs.
Thanks guys - forwarded!

Stan Brown
2018-06-11 23:53:03 UTC
Post by Nil
Ctrl + T to open a new tab.
and Ctrl + Tab to cycle through open tabs.
Ctrl+PgUp and Ctrl+PgDn do it too.
http://BrownMath.com/
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Shikata ga nai...