rSynch for Windows 7?
(PeteCresswell)
2017-06-05 20:58:44 UTC
Has anybody found a port of rSynch that works with Windows 7?

I see one on SourceForge, but am reluctant to try something whose
ancestry I know nothing about.
Pete Cresswell
Java Jive
2017-06-05 21:25:03 UTC
Post by (PeteCresswell)
Has anybody found a port of rSynch that works with Windows 7?
I see one on SourceForge, but am reluctant to try something whose
ancestry I know nothing about.
I use DeltaCopy, but:

:-( I had to download a third party DLL to get files with accented
characters in their names backed up without the name being corrupted.

:-( Permissions don't translate well between Linux & Windows. I
usually back up last thing in the evening before going to bed, and
then a server script runs overnight to reset permissions on all the
shares so that Windows users can be certain of accessing them next
day.

:-( I've not got SSH to work, but, as I'm only backing up within
my LAN, it's not a really problem for me.

Within the above constraints, it works fine from W2k through W7 both
32-bit & 64-bit.
2017-06-06 10:20:08 UTC
Post by (PeteCresswell)
Has anybody found a port of rSynch that works with Windows 7?
I see one on SourceForge, but am reluctant to try something whose
ancestry I know nothing about.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync

They mention "Cwrsync" as a Cygwin version of rsync.

It's possible the Bash shell in Windows 10 has an rsync
command as well. But that doesn't help you on Win7.

If you have source code, you could always compile it on
MinGW or Visual Studio. MinGW uses ./configure, while
Visual Studio would use a Project file.

And it looks like about as much fun as trying to figure
out the command line options for Robocopy.

https://superuser.com/questions/1054223/why-does-rsync-not-create-a-hard-link-in-my-backup-set

The only time I've had rsync running here, is when Gentoo
contacts some server for Portage package management purposes.
Network takes a real pounding while it runs. For that application
of it, it seemed to be building some sort of index.