Forced to use Window 10 in future
Add Reply
Ragnusen Ultred
2018-04-07 23:30:56 UTC
The solution is said to work on both pro and regular Windows 10 too.
This is a better thread.
What is an effective way to tun off Windows 10 updates until YOU want them back on?
http://www.pcbanter.net/showthread.php?p=3749137
Char Jackson
2018-04-08 00:48:18 UTC
On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 16:30:56 -0700, Ragnusen Ultred
Post by Ragnusen Ultred
The solution is said to work on both pro and regular Windows 10 too.
This is a better thread.
What is an effective way to tun off Windows 10 updates until YOU want them back on?
http://www.pcbanter.net/showthread.php?p=3749137
pcbanter seems to be one of those web forums that sucks Usenet posts in
an effort to make it look like they have actual content.
VanguardLH
2018-04-08 00:56:34 UTC
pcbanter seems to be one of those web forums that sucks Usenet posts in
an effort to make it look like they have actual content.
There are lots of those web-based forums for boobs that can't figure out
how to configure and use an NNTP client. The boobs were weaned on web
browsers. Those users don't even realize there is a hierarchy (tree
structure) to threads within a discussion because, gee, their web-based
forums flattens out all posts to the same level so you can't be sure who
responded to whom.

Because they are a web-based leech site for uberboobs is why I filter
out any posts originating from there, just like I filter out the
uberboobs, trolls, malcontents, and pueriles posting through Google
Groups. By leeching from Usenet, the web-based forums can pretend they
have more content or, in some cases, Usenet is their only content that
they pretend is their own content.
Ragnusen Ultred
2018-04-08 04:48:30 UTC
pcbanter seems to be one of those web forums that sucks Usenet posts in
an effort to make it look like they have actual content.
Let's be completely honest with each other... and let's all agree to be
adults who wish to be helpful.

*I get your point ... but what's your alternative solution?*

I asked a while ago which URL is the best "search engine" for this
newsgroup.

That's the only URL that came out.
http://tinyurl.com/alt-comp-os-windows-10
http://tinyurl.com/alt-windows7-general

*If you have a *better* search engine, I'm all ears.*

It's easy to disparage the work of others - but what's your alternative
search engine for this newsgroup?

For example, try to find my post asking for the best search engine.
How would you do that?
David B.
2018-04-08 10:05:41 UTC
Post by Ragnusen Ultred
Post by Char Jackson
pcbanter seems to be one of those web forums that sucks Usenet posts in
an effort to make it look like they have actual content.
Let's be completely honest with each other... and let's all agree to be
adults who wish to be helpful.
*I get your point ... but what's your alternative solution?*
I asked a while ago which URL is the best "search engine" for this
newsgroup.
That's the only URL that came out.
http://tinyurl.com/alt-comp-os-windows-10
http://tinyurl.com/alt-windows7-general
*If you have a *better* search engine, I'm all ears*.
Corrected so as to embolden for Thunderbird users!
Post by Ragnusen Ultred
It's easy to disparage the work of others - but what's your alternative
search engine for this newsgroup?
For example, try to find my post asking for the best search engine.
How would you do that?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Ragnusen+Ultred&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=y-jJWsPaIKva8wfVi7X4Dg

I've not reviewed all of the leads provided.
David B.
David B.
2018-04-08 10:18:04 UTC
On 08/04/2018 11:05, David B. added ...

You could look here, too:-

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/Ragnusen$20Ultred%7Csort:date

HTH
David B.
Ragnusen Ultred
2018-04-08 16:05:02 UTC
Post by David B.
You could look here, too:-
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/Ragnusen$20Ultred%7Csort:date
I guess I was too literal.

What I was explaining to Char Jackson, who is a truly helpful guy who means
well, was that anyone searching for something needs to have a "search
engine" where we *all* know that Google search engine _sucks_ for Usenet
topics.

So while you keyed off of the unique name, that's not what the point was in
the least.

The point was how are you going to find *any* Usenet topic?
What search engine are you going to use?

To Chas Jackson's point, pcbanter sucks.
But... guess what.

Nobody has anything better.
If they do ... tell it to us right now.

My point is that nobody has a better answer.
If you have a better answer ... then we are all all ears.

Here's the question to answer.
Q: Do you have a better search engine for this group?
A: If yes, what is it? (HINT: It's not google.)
Big Al
2018-04-08 16:21:25 UTC
Here's the question to answer.
Q: Do you have a better search engine for this group?
A: If yes, what is it? (HINT: It's not google.)
And something like Thunderbird's search or quick filter isn't sufficient?
I usually can find things I need. Of course this particular solution
you can only search one newsgroup at a time.
Ragnusen Ultred
2018-04-08 17:36:30 UTC
2018-04-08 21:34:34 UTC
On Sun, 8 Apr 2018 10:36:30 -0700, Ragnusen Ultred
Q: Do you know of any other search engine for *this* newsgroup only?
a. It must have *all* the messages listed in some type of sensible order.
b. It must search *only* the newsgroup for content.
You're asking for a general purpose search engine, of sorts, so my
approach won't work for you. However, it works extremely well for me.

I use Control-G, which in my newsreader brings up the Search dialogue. I
specify one or more groups, plus any relevant keywords (author, subject,
body, etc.) that I want. Why does it work? Because I never purge, so
everything is available and searchable in the groups that I care about.
If I wanted to search in a group that I'm not subscribed to, I'd
subscribe and download a suitable period of posts, then I'd search. It's
fast and easy, but not everyone wants to do it that way.

Alternatively, there are ways to directly search a Usenet provider's
archive, but many providers disable the capability because of its
overhead on their end.

Lastly, my comment about the pcbanter site was just me venting my
displeasure at such sites. (There are multiple, with pcbanter being one
example.) They claim to be doing a service of some sort, but they're
really just sucking content from Usenet. I object to that on general
principles, but I acknowledge that it may provide a means of searching a
newsgroup. It's not a method that I'll use, but it could be all you have
so you have to use it.
Ragnusen Ultred
2018-04-08 21:46:56 UTC
my comment about the pcbanter site was just me venting my
displeasure at such sites. (There are multiple, with pcbanter being one
example.) They claim to be doing a service of some sort, but they're
really just sucking content from Usenet. I object to that on general
principles, but I acknowledge that it may provide a means of searching a
newsgroup. It's not a method that I'll use, but it could be all you have
so you have to use it.
I agree with everything you said.

The problem is in finding a *better* solution.

Until then, it's all we have that works.
Char Jackson
2018-04-08 23:01:16 UTC
On Sun, 8 Apr 2018 14:46:56 -0700, Ragnusen Ultred
Post by Ragnusen Ultred
Post by Char Jackson
my comment about the pcbanter site was just me venting my
displeasure at such sites. (There are multiple, with pcbanter being one
example.) They claim to be doing a service of some sort, but they're
really just sucking content from Usenet. I object to that on general
principles, but I acknowledge that it may provide a means of searching a
newsgroup. It's not a method that I'll use, but it could be all you have
so you have to use it.
I agree with everything you said.
The problem is in finding a *better* solution.
Until then, it's all we have that works.
Technically, it may be all that you have, but I don't use it because
what I have is much better. You *could* do the same, if you like.
Ragnusen Ultred
2018-04-09 00:36:26 UTC
Technically, it may be all that you have, but I don't use it because
what I have is much better. You *could* do the same, if you like.
I completely understand your point.

*Let's look at this issue purely logically.*

I'd have to look at your news server to explain to you why what works for
you doesn't necessarily work for everyone.

OK. I looked. While headers can be spoofed, I'll assume this nntp server:

What you're saying is that your NNTP server *archives* a *lot* of messages.

How much do they archive?
I do not know.

Let's say they archive the past 20 years of news messages.
So, if you're willing to download those last 20 years of messages, then a
simple control+f find (or whatever you use) will "find" them.

Of course, the search "engine" is merely a "grep" style, so it's a "dumb"
search, but maybe it uses "regular expressions" which makes it smarter.

The point is that there are two variables involved.
1. The quantity of messages archived, and,
2. The quality of the search engine capabilities.

Obviously Google has this concept pretty much down pat, where it's just sad
that Google Groups doesn't work as well as Google Search does.

What you have is a "dumb" version of a search, which, I agree, if your nntp
server allows 20 years of threads, then it works for you.

But how many people are out there?
Do they all use the same NNTP server you use?

If not, then pcbanter (or some other publicly available search mechanism)
works better.

So, you have a single-point solution, whereas I'm always seeking the
multi-point solution.

Your solution is great - but it's single point.
My solution sucks - but it's multi point.

Which solution has more leverage to more people?
Simple. The multi-point solution always has more leverage.

I understand you.
You understand me.

I'm still seeking a *better* multi-point solution.
You're fine with your single-point solution.

That's the only difference between us.
David B.
2018-04-08 21:42:07 UTC
On 08/04/2018 17:05, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
[....]
Post by Ragnusen Ultred
Here's the question to answer.
Q: Do you have a better search engine for this group?
A: If yes, what is it? (HINT: It's not google.)
Have you tried the Search facility in the Thunderbird newsreader?

https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/

I've found that very useful at times.

HTH
David B.
Paul
2018-04-08 22:14:04 UTC
Post by David B.
[....]
Post by Ragnusen Ultred
Here's the question to answer.
Q: Do you have a better search engine for this group?
A: If yes, what is it? (HINT: It's not google.)
Have you tried the Search facility in the Thunderbird newsreader?
https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/
I've found that very useful at times.
HTH
That's called GLODA.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Thunderbird/gloda

At the time that was included/invented, it wasn't clear
from the comments what it was for.

*******

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/rebuilding-global-database

"The Global Database ("Gloda" for short) is an indexing system
that enables Thunderbird to search messages. Rebuilding the
Global Database re-indexes messages and address book cards.

(Newsgroup messages are not indexed.) <===
"

That's why I was looking those up, to see whether it was true or not.

Paul
Ragnusen Ultred
2018-04-09 00:44:13 UTC
That's called GLODA.
As I just explained to Char Jackson, I'm always seeking to improve the
search capability for *everyone* for all time for this newsgroup.

It's why I created the tinyurl for this group, for example.
I didn't need it. I know what the URL is.
I created it to *leverage* for everyone.

It's how I work.

Now ... as I explained to Char Jackson, if *everyone* used the same news
server, and if that news server saved 20 years of Usenet messages (or
whatever) and if the search through those messages was decent (aka, smart),
then we'd all be fat and happy already.

Having said that, Char Jackson says he has a news server which does save
(enough) messages (maybe not 20 years, but enough for him) and Char Jackson
and David B. both say they have a search mechanism that is good enough
(maybe not smart, but good enough for them), so, what the hell ...

Both Char Jackson and David B. intimate that they have the problem solved.
And they do have the problem solved.

If...

If two things happen:
1. Their news server archives (say) 20 years' worth of messages, and,
2. Their search mechanism is smart enough to find what they seek.

I understand that perfectly well.

What I'm trying to solve is a *bigger* problem.

I'm trying to get *everyone* to have that capability.
How?

I don't know how.
The best I can come up with is these two URLs & that one search engine:
http://tinyurl.com/alt-windows7-general
http://tinyurl.com/alt-comp-os-windows-10

If you know of a *better* search engine that archives *more* articles in
these two newsgroups, then I'm all ears.

But it has to work for *everyone* (not just you).
Paul
2018-04-09 04:40:34 UTC
Post by Ragnusen Ultred
Post by Paul
[...]
Did you see signs I was doing USENET searches ?

I'm not.

Dejanews is dead and gone.

*******

If you want to build your own index, set up an NNTP proxy,
buy a block account from Giganews (server with long retention),
download the set of groups you would normally look in, and then
switch back to using whatever USENET server you want. You
can allocate as much retention for your proxy as you want,
because it's your own hard drive.

Then you can work on finding an indexer for it.

*******

If you have a MID to share with people, they can use Howard
to view the message. But Howard now truncates the message
body, because some "movie pirates" tried to abuse Howard,
and now we all suffer as a result. They tried to use Howard
as a "downloader".

http://al.howardknight.net/

Paul
Frank Slootweg
2018-04-08 11:36:16 UTC
Post by Ragnusen Ultred
Post by Char Jackson
pcbanter seems to be one of those web forums that sucks Usenet posts in
an effort to make it look like they have actual content.
Let's be completely honest with each other... and let's all agree to be
adults who wish to be helpful.
*I get your point ... but what's your alternative solution?*
I asked a while ago which URL is the best "search engine" for this
newsgroup.
That's the only URL that came out.
http://tinyurl.com/alt-comp-os-windows-10
http://tinyurl.com/alt-windows7-general
*If you have a *better* search engine, I'm all ears.*
It's easy to disparage the work of others - but what's your alternative
search engine for this newsgroup?
For example, try to find my post asking for the best search engine.
How would you do that?
Wrong questions(s).

You were referring to threads in 'this' [1] newsgroup. So you could
just have given the News URLs or/and the 'Subject:' plus 'Date:'
headers. No need for a search engine.

[1] alt.comp.os.windows-10, i.e. before you added the needless
crosspost (and failed to say so).
Ragnusen Ultred
2018-04-08 16:04:34 UTC
Post by Frank Slootweg
Wrong questions(s).
You were referring to threads in 'this' [1] newsgroup. So you could
just have given the News URLs or/and the 'Subject:' plus 'Date:'
headers. No need for a search engine.
[1] alt.comp.os.windows-10, i.e. before you added the needless
crosspost (and failed to say so).
Frank,

I know you're almost always a troll, but, unlike your normal trolling, you
posted above something that might work since the goal is to find a good
Usenet search engine that only searches a specific newsgroup named
alt.comp.os.windows-10 or alt.windows7.general.

So, Frank, I will *test* your post, assuming that you're not just trolling
with senseless semantic games like you have proven you do time and again.

How do you suggest that we, all the users here, find any *topic* in the
Usenet newsgroup named "alt.comp.os.windows-10".

Remember, you and David are just trolling, so you picked an *easy* but
unrealistic case.

The case Chas Jackson (who is NOT a troll - he's an adult) observed, which
is perfectly valid, is that pcbanter isn't perfect like Google Groups is,
for, say, the android newsgroup that you, Frank, troll incessantly on.
http://tinyurl.com/comp-mobile-android
Likewise for the iOS newsgroups that you, Frank, don't troll on:
http://tinyurl.com/comp-mobile-ipad
http://tinyurl.com/misc-phone-mobile-iphone

Luckily, *some* Windows newsgroups have a Google Groups search engine:
http://tinyurl.com/microsoft-public-windowsxp-gen (30-character limit)

The question is, Frank, what's a good Usenet search engine that searches
*this* newsgroup for a certain topic.

No trolling now Frank.

None of your incessant mindless numbingly silly senseless semantic games.
Can you do that Frank?

*Can you act like an adult for just once in your life, Frank?*

Or, do you prove yet again, beyond a doubt, that you're only a child who
has zero technical capability whatsoever, and, worse, zero helpful intent.

Frank:
Q: What's a good search engine for this Usenet newsgroup (pick one).
Frank Slootweg
2018-04-08 18:09:18 UTC
Ragnusen Ultred <***@ultred.com> wrote:
[...]
Post by Ragnusen Ultred
No trolling now Frank.
None of your incessant mindless numbingly silly senseless semantic games.
Can you do that Frank?
*Can you act like an adult for just once in your life, Frank?*
Or, do you prove yet again, beyond a doubt, that you're only a child who
has zero technical capability whatsoever, and, worse, zero helpful intent.
You stupid pompous obnoxious twat! It was *me* who pointed you to
pcbanter, when you wanted a search engine for these groups!

And now *I* get all this 'troll' bollocks, just because *you* are too
stupid to remember who did what!? If that's your way of saying 'Thanks!'
then don't bother.

You're one *very* sick puppy! And no, your disorder is *no* excuse!

[And then there's the issue of completely missing to point of my/a
response, but that's your standard MO, so let's not go there.]
Ragnusen Ultred
2018-04-08 18:53:02 UTC
Post by Frank Slootweg
You stupid pompous obnoxious twat!
You respond to facts with vitriol.

Hence you prove what I stated in *every* post.

The question is what is *better* than pcbanter.
Frank Slootweg
2018-04-08 19:38:56 UTC
Post by Ragnusen Ultred
Post by Frank Slootweg
You stupid pompous obnoxious twat!
Let me repair that dishonestly snipped quote for you:

<restore>
Post by Ragnusen Ultred
Post by Frank Slootweg
You stupid pompous obnoxious twat! It was *me* who pointed you to
pcbanter, when you wanted a search engine for these groups!
And now *I* get all this 'troll' bollocks, just because *you* are too
stupid to remember who did what!? If that's your way of saying 'Thanks!'
then don't bother.
You're one *very* sick puppy! And no, your disorder is *no* excuse!
[And then there's the issue of completely missing to point of my/a
response, but that's your standard MO, so let's not go there.]
</restore>

Silent admissions and piles of egg-on-face duly noted.
Post by Ragnusen Ultred
You respond to facts with vitriol.
No, I was responding to *your* vitriol of misplaced innuendo and
insults. Can't do the time, ...

You wouldn't recognize a fact if it hit you! But you want facts?
Here's one:

Now, for *once* in your life, act like a man and do *not* snip
'inconvenient' context [1].

[1] And no BS about 'netiquette'. A netabuser like you is in no position
whatsoever to teach others about 'netiquette'.
Ragnusen Ultred
2018-04-08 20:09:10 UTC
Post by Frank Slootweg
Now, for *once* in your life, act like a man and do *not* snip
'inconvenient' context [1].
Usenet RFC snipping
http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?quoting
Frank Slootweg
2018-04-09 15:04:24 UTC
To the audience: You'd better skip this.
[Restore of 'inconvenient' context:]

<restore>
Post by Frank Slootweg
Post by Frank Slootweg
Post by Ragnusen Ultred
You respond to facts with vitriol.
No, I was responding to *your* vitriol of misplaced innuendo and
insults. Can't do the time, ...
Silent admission duly noted.
Post by Frank Slootweg
Post by Frank Slootweg
You wouldn't recognize a fact if it hit you! But you want facts?
Silent admission c.q. <whossh!> duly noted.

</restore>
Post by Frank Slootweg
Post by Frank Slootweg
Now, for *once* in your life, act like a man and do *not* snip
'inconvenient' context [1].
Let me restore yet another one of your dishonest silent snips:

<restore>
Post by Frank Slootweg
Usenet RFC snipping
http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?quoting
Exactly *which* part(s) of "'inconvenient'" and the footnote didn't
you understand!?

So once more you prove that you're indeed the lying, cheating jerk
that I showed you to be.

QED.

HTH. HAND. EOD. NJ.

Boris
2018-04-08 02:06:38 UTC
Post by Ragnusen Ultred
The solution is said to work on both pro and regular Windows 10 too.
This is a better thread.
What is an effective way to tun off Windows 10 updates until YOU want them back on?
http://www.pcbanter.net/showthread.php?p=3749137
Was your original post to this ng titled: "Re: Forced to use Window 10 in
future"?

I ask because I did a 'get parent' on your "Re: Forced to use Window 10 in
future", but got nothing. I'm assuming that your original post was to the
forum named, and your original post to this ng was indeed titled "Re: Forced
to use Window 10 in future".

Yes? No?
Boris
2018-04-08 02:11:13 UTC
Post by Ragnusen Ultred
Post by Ragnusen Ultred
The solution is said to work on both pro and regular Windows 10 too.
This is a better thread.
What is an effective way to tun off Windows 10 updates until YOU want
them
Post by Ragnusen Ultred
back on?
Post by Ragnusen Ultred
http://www.pcbanter.net/showthread.php?p=3749137
Was your original post to this ng titled: "Re: Forced to use Window 10 in
future"?
I ask because I did a 'get parent' on your "Re: Forced to use Window 10 in
future", but got nothing. I'm assuming that your original post was to the
forum named, and your original post to this ng was indeed titled "Re: Forced
to use Window 10 in future".
Yes? No?
Nevermind. I see Bill Ward was the op over on alt.comp.windows-10, and
one of your replies was posted not only to that ng, but here also.
tesla sTinker