system parameter to set for "experienced" users
Ammammata
2017-08-31 08:03:38 UTC
I know that 90+ % of windows users appreciate all those nice things that it
does, i.e. showing small previews instead of standard icons, or
author/title/album/duration when they open a music folder (instead of
date/hour/attributes), or decide automatically which language must be shown
when they browse to a multilingual website, and many other little other
tips, often generating a very-long-to-complete green bar at the top,
wasting my time :(

now, where is the problem? "working" with many files of many different
types, I'd like to reduce the time windows uses to show me things in "the
best way"

I do not need the small preview, I don't need title and song duration, I
want all the web pages in english, even if I'm connected from Lesotho or
Switzerland, I'm enough experienced to recognize what I need without any
support

so, the question is:
is there any system parameter that forces windows to avoid all those nice
things and makes exactly what I need? I tried setting the folder properties
as generic but if often fails and revert to multimedia or picture or
documents or else; I set, and set, and set them, but they revert back to
smart-and-bright-for-most-users

I'm really cvffrq bss

Unfortunately, the company uses windows software and we all must use
windows systems
--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-
........... [ al lavoro ] ...........
Paul
2017-08-31 08:46:45 UTC
Post by Ammammata
[...]
This explains how to do it with a .reg file.

The BagMRU is an older technique for setting storage space for
a lot of folders. If this is not set large enough, it could cause
problems with the consistency of Folder views later. Maybe you set
a new folder to "Sort By Name", and open it later and find it is
"Sort By Date".

It's possible this .reg file wouldn't work on a later OS like Win10,
because it is possible they don't use the ShellBags as in previous OSes.

And I'm not certain the syntax in this example is correct. But
you'll find that out when you go to use it.

While you could edit the desktop.ini file and change the setting
on a per-folder basis that way, the changes would not be permanent.
The File Explorer can re-define the desktop.ini in the blink of
any eye, so your effort to do it that way would be wasted.
This registry method (assuming it still works), should be
a more permanent method. And they're increasing the storage,
in an attempt to make File Explorer remember the settings
for all the folders.

*******

https://superuser.com/questions/513298/irritating-auto-changing-column-types-in-windows-explorer-in-case-of-audio-video

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Reset and delete all saved folder customizations and settings.
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags]

; Turn off Vista auto folder type template discovery.
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell]
"FolderType"="NotSpecified"

; Modify the storage space to 10000 for saving of up to 10000 folder settings.
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:00002710

Paul
Ammammata
2017-08-31 10:19:51 UTC
Il giorno Thu 31 Aug 2017 10:46:45a, *Paul* ha inviato su
Post by Paul
This registry method (assuming it still works)
thank you, Paul, I'll give it a try
--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-
Post by Paul
http://www.bb2002.it :) <<<<<
........... [ al lavoro ] ...........
VanguardLH
2017-08-31 13:58:19 UTC
Post by Ammammata
[...]
Turn off thumbnails (which causes the green progress bar to open all the
files to extract previews, if available via metadata, or generate the
image previes) if all you want is a list of filenames.

Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab
Always show icons, never thumbnails.

To not show a preview pane on the right side of the window (after
selecting a file), choose to hide it.

Windows Explorer -> toolbar -> click the layout icon (right end)

If you don't want to see the details pane at the bottom of the window
(after selecting a file), choose to hide it.

Windows Explorer -> Organize button in toolbar -> Layout
Deselect the details pane.

Languaging for a web site is not handled by Windows. You'll have to
configure language options in your unidentified web browser.
Stan Brown
2017-09-01 00:53:36 UTC
Post by VanguardLH
Turn off thumbnails (which causes the green progress bar to open all the
files to extract previews, if available via metadata, or generate the
image previes) if all you want is a list of filenames.
Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab
Always show icons, never thumbnails.
Thanks for this. For some reason, my Win 7 system recently started
showing the "green bar crawl" whenever I opened folders that
contained image files. I haven't had time to investigate it, and now
thanks to you I have the answer handed me on a silver platter!
http://BrownMath.com/
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Shikata ga nai...
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-09-01 19:47:04 UTC
Post by VanguardLH
Post by Ammammata
I know that 90+ % of windows users appreciate all those nice things that it
does, i.e. showing small previews instead of standard icons, or
[]
Post by VanguardLH
Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab
Always show icons, never thumbnails.
I rather fear Ammammata's "I tried setting the folder properties as
generic but it often fails and revert"[s] would apply to this too.
Post by VanguardLH
To not show a preview pane on the right side of the window (after
selecting a file), choose to hide it.
I don't think s/he's bothered about whether it shows or not, just the
added time that extracting and creating it takes. (If hiding it also
stops that time being needed, then of course it's a good hint ...
Post by VanguardLH
Windows Explorer -> toolbar -> click the layout icon (right end)
... other than that such a setting might not "stick", as above.)
Post by VanguardLH
If you don't want to see the details pane at the bottom of the window
(after selecting a file), choose to hide it.
(Again, I don't think s/he's bothered about whether the pane is there,
just its creation time - again, if hiding it means it isn't created,
that'd help.)
Post by VanguardLH
Windows Explorer -> Organize button in toolbar -> Layout
Deselect the details pane.
(Again, may not stick.)
Post by VanguardLH
Languaging for a web site is not handled by Windows. You'll have to
configure language options in your unidentified web browser.
Yes, that bit puzzled me too: AFAIK, pages can only offer a (manual _or_
automatic) choice of languages if the page source code includes multiple
ones, and if it does, I doubt there's much you can do to reduce its time
of them. Even then, having it always display just US English wouldn't be
any faster, unless the page source includes that but not the others.

After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I
have one. -Cato the Elder, statesman, soldier, and writer (234-149 BCE)
VanguardLH
2017-09-01 21:26:16 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by VanguardLH
Windows Explorer -> Organize button in toolbar -> Layout
Deselect the details pane.
(Again, may not stick.)
If all you say were true then the OP is using some software that
restores a prior state to the computer; e.g., SteadyState, Returnil
System Safe, Restore Rx, Shadow Defender, Deepfreeze, Toolwiz Time
Freeze, a tweaker that restores on login, or maybe even some security
software or domain policies. If options for Windows Explorer are not
sticking then something is unsticking them.