Windows Update Problem
Add Reply
Debbie
2017-06-16 21:15:14 UTC
Windows 7 Home and the latest package for June won't install. I get:
"WindowsUpdate_8024200D" "WindowsUpdate_dt000". Suggestions?

Thanks!
David B.
2017-06-16 22:33:57 UTC
Post by Debbie
"WindowsUpdate_8024200D" "WindowsUpdate_dt000". Suggestions?
Thanks!
You could start here, Debbie:-

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/contactus/
Sometimes man stumbles over the truth. (W.Churchill)
B00ze
2017-06-17 01:31:28 UTC
Post by Debbie
"WindowsUpdate_8024200D" "WindowsUpdate_dt000". Suggestions?
Have a look at "C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log" you might find out what
8024200D means. Google might help, but I get 26000 results, find the 1
site that knows that 8024200D means will be difficult, better to check
the log first.

Regards,
--
! _\|/_ Sylvain / ***@hotmail.com
! (o o) Member:David-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society
oO-( )-Oo According 2 Intel, 1+1 equals 3, for very large values of 1.
Mike S
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947821/fix-windows-update-errors-by-using-the-dism-or-system-update-readiness-tool
Paul
2017-06-17 07:08:30 UTC
Post by Mike S
Post by B00ze
Post by Debbie
"WindowsUpdate_8024200D" "WindowsUpdate_dt000". Suggestions?
Have a look at "C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log" you might find out what
8024200D means. Google might help, but I get 26000 results, find the 1
site that knows that 8024200D means will be difficult, better to check
the log first.
Regards,
This might help
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947821/fix-windows-update-errors-by-using-the-dism-or-system-update-readiness-tool
At one time, somebody posted that the errors were in a header
file (something you might find in Visual Studio), but this
article implies you have to look underneath some rocks to find it.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/15260.windows-update-agent-error-codes.aspx

0x8024200D WU_E_UH_NEEDANOTHERDOWNLOAD

The update handler did not install the update because
it needs to be downloaded again.

And that, unfortunately, is the equivalent of "Oops! Something went wrong".

The message should not be taken at face value. Updates are verified
by signature or checksum, and really should have been verified during
the BITS stage. To get that message later, implies Windows Update
has discovered the file is the wrong one, isn't needed, or some other
implausible situation.

*******

How I would attack this one, is:

1) Look in the Windows Update history tab.

When a KB records a "Success" after a "Failure", that's OK.
So if it said "Failed KB12345678 June10,2017" then
"Succeeded KB12344567 June11,2017", those cancel out and we
know that item was successfully installed and we move on.

It's when the history shows a stackup of Failed, one after
another, you have to look back at the KB numbers involved.

Failed KB4000003 <--- The others are "innocent victims"
Failed KB4000002
Failed KB4000001 <--- Plumbing is jammed here

When this happens, I make a list of all the failed updates,
their KB numbers, and go here and manually download a .msu for
the KB.

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx

I install the updates, one by one, until I've done all the
failed ones in the stack.

Then I can try Windows Update again if I want.

Say I was just plain lazy, I might install 4000001 manually.
Then reboot the computer, and run Windows Update again. Maybe
it will look like this after Windows Update is finished, and the
plumbing jam is cleared.

Success KB4000003 <--- These installed themselves, because jam-up is gone
Success KB4000002
Success KB4000001 <--- I installed this manually
Failed KB4000003
Failed KB4000002
Failed KB4000001

2) Sometimes, Windows Update needs to be reset. This isn't technically
as impressive as it sounds. The easiest way to do this, is
rename SoftwareDistribution to Softwaredistribution.bak or similar.
When the folder is renamed, Windows Update will make a fresh one.

By being that "violent", you lose the History listing. That's
why you want to do step (1) first. I usually smack around my
Win10 Insider Edition like that, because the update history in it
is not important. Whereas, for real OSes, you should use that approach
as a last step.

Instead, we look for an article, with scripts to run. Some of these
have "graduated violence". There's a "weaker" reset and a "stronger"
reset. You can try the weakest flavor first.

Maybe Option 2 would be a place to start.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/91738-windows-update-reset.html

"It will reset Windows Update Components and re-register the
BITS files and the Windows Update files to help fix
Windows Update errors.

This option will not clear the view update history details
list as it does in OPTION ONE above.

https://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/380042d1453142293-windows-update-reset-reset_reregister_windows_update_components.bat
"

To use that, you need to know how to run a batch file in
an Administrator Command Prompt window.

# In Win7, type "cmd" in the start, right-click
# on the top-most item in the returned list, then select "Run As Administrator"
# from the right-click menu. A Command Prompt window opens, where
# the working directory is set to system32. You need to change the
# working directory to a more useful location, using the "cd"
# change directory command.

cd /d C:\path\to\where\you\normally\download\stuff

reset_reregister_windows_update_components.bat

# My favorite way of getting to my downloads is this way...
# Your mileage may vary of course.

cd %userprofile%
cd Downloads

reset_reregister_windows_update_components.bat

After you've done that, try a reboot. That's to ensure
all the services are in a good state, for your next
Windows Update attempt. The script does actually shut down
and start up the services properly, so you might say a
reboot is overkill, but rebooting is "belt and suspenders".

And it's Windows Update. If it wasn't broken, we wouldn't
be having any fun.

HTH,
Paul
B00ze
2017-06-19 03:14:00 UTC
At one time, somebody posted that the errors were in a header
file (something you might find in Visual Studio), but this
article implies you have to look underneath some rocks to find it.
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/15260.windows-update-agent-error-codes.aspx
YEARS of me looking for this via Google as I get some WU error have not
found this! It should IMHO be in the first 10 results on Google. Once
again your superior research talents at work :-)
Post by Paul
0x8024200D WU_E_UH_NEEDANOTHERDOWNLOAD
The update handler did not install the update because
it needs to be downloaded again.
And that, unfortunately, is the equivalent of "Oops! Something went wrong".
What do you think WU_E_UH means? Might explain why it thinks it needs to
be downloaded again (which obviously will not fix the problem).

Regards,
oO-( )-Oo Very funny Scotty! Now beam up my clothes!
Paul
2017-06-19 05:35:41 UTC
Post by Paul
0x8024200D WU_E_UH_NEEDANOTHERDOWNLOAD
The update handler did not install the update because
it needs to be downloaded again.
And that, unfortunately, is the equivalent of "Oops! Something went wrong".
What do you think WU_E_UH means? Might explain why it thinks it needs to
be downloaded again (which obviously will not fix the problem).
Regards,
Google assures me that WU_E_UH stands for

Windows Update Error Update_Handler

Now, what's an Update Handler ? Is it Tiworker ? Is it some
module in the Windows Update Reset list ?

*******

As for "how do you find 0x8024200D", the more obscure the error,
the higher quality the result.

If we were working on a 0xC0000005 error, then there would be
20 million results, and I'd end up with adverts for bowling
shoes from Walmart or something.

When the error numbers are a little less common, sometimes
that nets you a canonical error list.

*******

There might be an expansion on that error in some log
file, but I'm not holding my breath. Our best hope,
is the telemetry goes back to Microsoft, and if it's
a packaging issue, and they silently fix it.

It's my experience though, that using the KB number and
getting the update from catalog.update.microsoft.com and
then installing it, that seems to work virtually all
the time. And those self contained packages do a pretty
good job of detecting "not appropriate", as they do have
a chunk of "wsusscn"-like materials inside.

Paul
B00ze
2017-06-21 02:14:36 UTC
Post by Paul
0x8024200D WU_E_UH_NEEDANOTHERDOWNLOAD
The update handler did not install the update because
it needs to be downloaded again.
And that, unfortunately, is the equivalent of "Oops! Something went wrong".
What do you think WU_E_UH means? Might explain why it thinks it needs
to be downloaded again (which obviously will not fix the problem).
Regards,
Google assures me that WU_E_UH stands for
Windows Update Error Update_Handler
Now, what's an Update Handler ? Is it Tiworker ? Is it some
module in the Windows Update Reset list ?
Yeah, unfortunately it tells us nothing :-(
Post by Paul
As for "how do you find 0x8024200D", the more obscure the error,
the higher quality the result.
Today at work I had someone with a Windows Update error number. This
time, knowing that this list existed, I went to Google and looked for
"windows update agent error list blog" and bam, first result! Looking
for the specific error number always returned a billion irrelevant
results (if you've tried deleting Software Distribution and running the
Windows Update troubleshooter, which re-registers all the WU DLLs, then
99% of all Google results are useless). It's nice to know things! Turned
out the error meant that there was a timeout getting the data - e.g.
network problem...
Post by Paul
If we were working on a 0xC0000005 error, then there would be
20 million results, and I'd end up with adverts for bowling
shoes from Walmart or something.
Lol
Post by Paul
When the error numbers are a little less common, sometimes
that nets you a canonical error list.
Yeah, but I'd never hit the WU error list before I saw your message...
There might be an expansion on that error in some log
file, but I'm not holding my breath. Our best hope,
is the telemetry goes back to Microsoft, and if it's
a packaging issue, and they silently fix it.
Sometimes the Windows Update log is helpful, sometimes, but it is hard
to read as the technology is complex and outputs a TON of data into the
log...
Post by Paul
It's my experience though, that using the KB number and
getting the update from catalog.update.microsoft.com and
then installing it, that seems to work virtually all
the time. And those self contained packages do a pretty
good job of detecting "not appropriate", as they do have
a chunk of "wsusscn"-like materials inside.
I agree, your proposed solution is sound.

Best Regards,
oO-( )-Oo Have you kissed your doorknob lately?
Wolf K
2017-06-19 13:59:17 UTC
Post by B00ze
Post by Paul
At one time, somebody posted that the errors were in a header
file (something you might find in Visual Studio), but this
article implies you have to look underneath some rocks to find it.
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/15260.windows-update-agent-error-codes.aspx
YEARS of me looking for this via Google as I get some WU error have not
found this! It should IMHO be in the first 10 results on Google. Once
again your superior research talents at work :-)
[...]

+1
--
Best,
Wolf K
"As far as we know, there are no undetected bugs in our software."”
Boot_Time
2017-06-17 08:35:30 UTC
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-update/i-am-getting-error-code-8024200d-when-trying-to/b0ae43eb-8e84-4a71-94af-75318c984d45
Boot_Time
2017-06-17 08:37:04 UTC
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win7-sp1-kb976932-error-code-8024200d/07036ad2-25ef-4588-bd3d-0774b7171251
Debbie
2017-06-17 11:41:46 UTC
Post by Debbie
"WindowsUpdate_8024200D" "WindowsUpdate_dt000". Suggestions?
Thanks!
History: I had just reinstalled Win on a lap top and did all the updates
and then removed programs that came with the laptop that I didn't want
and removed one I didn't want to remove so I did a system restore to
before the last updates. So, today I hid the June roll up because it was
already installed, or so I thought. Then May popped up, installed
correctly so I un-hid June and it installed correctly. Weird. Now it
says it's up-to-date.
Wolf K
2017-06-17 13:33:36 UTC
Post by Debbie
Post by Debbie
"WindowsUpdate_8024200D" "WindowsUpdate_dt000". Suggestions?
Thanks!
History: I had just reinstalled Win on a lap top and did all the updates
and then removed programs that came with the laptop that I didn't want
and removed one I didn't want to remove so I did a system restore to
before the last updates. So, today I hid the June roll up because it was
already installed, or so I thought. Then May popped up, installed
correctly so I un-hid June and it installed correctly. Weird. Now it
says it's up-to-date.
Fairly often, updates require "prerequisites", aka "install in a fixed
order." I think that's what you saw.